Regards,

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
Old Apr 05, 2010, 07:34 PM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Float Flyer View Post
I have a 1.25" Dia wheel on it from Sullivan and I did actually use the SUL859 not the SUL860 as I recently thought. I bought Both and wound up using the smaller 859. Softer landings I find. You could probably upsize to a 1.5" Dia wheel and it would still look good especially if you were planning on Tundra tires.

I should also mentiong that I needed to open up the hole in the Brass Collet that is on the Sullivan unit to fit the shaft diameter. I did it in a drill press and then soldered the shaft into the upsized hole. The White plastic takes fairly high temperatures, but I still clipped on a couple of heat sinks to not over heat the plastic. I guess you could also epoxy the shaft in to the hole if you can keep it tight.

This mod really works well. I did not re-inforce the fuselage structure where you attach the sullivan base, but I guess that would not hurt. I have had some pretty bad landings with the plane so far and no sign of damage anywhere.

I plan to paint it Red someday when I get around to finishing up some more details on it. I am working on some floats right now for it as well.

FF
Thanks for the update, glad I didn't click on "check out" yet...

B.
Old Apr 06, 2010, 08:07 AM
Kingdom of Sweden, Stockholm County, Stockholm
Joined Mar 2010
27 Posts
Space for battery

Im about to order a E-Flite beaver
I alredy have an electric setup that I want to use. My only concern is the space for the battery and the battary hatch.

Is there space enough for a 3300 5S Turnigy Lipo?
139 x 43 x 33mm

Thanks for any help on this.
C206 is offline Find More Posts by C206
Old Apr 06, 2010, 09:14 AM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C206 View Post
Im about to order a E-Flite beaver
I alredy have an electric setup that I want to use. My only concern is the space for the battery and the battary hatch.

Is there space enough for a 3300 5S Turnigy Lipo?
139 x 43 x 33mm

Thanks for any help on this.
I'm using a Hyperion 4-cell 3300mah in my Beaver. That one's a pretty snug fit as it is. From what I remember, a 5-cell probably won't fit.

Anybody tried a 5-cell in their Beaver ?

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:07 AM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
I'm using the Turnigy 3600 4S; that 5S is only about 4mm thicker and generally about the same in the other dimensions. It might fit; I used a Dremel to sand about a 1/4" from either end of the battery bay opening to ease installation. Once in, there's plenty of room; it's getting it thru the opening that's the issue...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:42 PM
Joined Jan 2008
107 Posts
Flew my one year old Beaver today. On 4cell with 25 size motor, still find that it tips nose over on even the slightest of ground bumps, any idea/ ? it may be an early model and wonder if the original runs were different since I dont hear much complaining of nose over. Also the COG seems very sensitive to go from good controlled to out of controlled by virtue of an inch? just looking for feedback.
lmstech is offline Find More Posts by lmstech
Old Apr 06, 2010, 01:56 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmstech View Post
Flew my one year old Beaver today. On 4cell with 25 size motor, still find that it tips nose over on even the slightest of ground bumps, any idea/ ? it may be an early model and wonder if the original runs were different since I dont hear much complaining of nose over. Also the COG seems very sensitive to go from good controlled to out of controlled by virtue of an inch? just looking for feedback.
An Inch forward of the prescribed C of G Point? That is quite a bit...

Sounds like a stupid question, but Do you possibly have the gear on backwards? I am not even sure if it would make a difference, but I do know that Mine has no tendency to nose over.

I do always taxi with Up Elevator anyways, but I have not noticed any desire to bow to me!

I am runnning 4S3800's on a Turnigy 42-50-700 so there is lots of weight up there and I am at a slightly forward CofG from center spec in the manual.

Sounds like a question for the E-Flite boys....

FF
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:23 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthibault View Post
I'm also putting on the 13X6.5E Prop... recently fried an ESC using a 3 blades MAS propellor (14X8X3) on my P40 Kyosho EP50. Wattmeter on static tests gave the impression that it could tolerate it but once on the air, fried after 2 minutes...
Howd you get it back in one piece?
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Apr 06, 2010, 03:26 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
You probably already have but, are both wheels turning freely?
This isnt a plane naturally prone to nose overs.
Let us know what it actually was.
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Apr 06, 2010, 04:06 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Attached are pics of the bracket I made. Should be a little sturdier than before, but I may look for a spring loaded tailwheel wire to absorb some shock.
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Apr 06, 2010, 05:41 PM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Attached are pics of the bracket I made. Should be a little sturdier than before, but I may look for a spring loaded tailwheel wire to absorb some shock.
Cool! And, it looks like you'll have a lifetime's supply of replacement parts if that bracket does break (although I'll bet the bulkhead it's screwed to goes first).

Regards,

Bruno
Old Apr 06, 2010, 05:57 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
709 Posts
Quote:
Most likely you are flying from grass ?? Me too.

As I'm taxying any of my tail draggers, I continue to hold in full up elevator for the entire taxi. The prop wash flowing over the horizontal stab and elevator with the elevator full up will keep the tail wheel pinned to the ground. This also works great on windy days. No more tipovers, even on grass with a cross wind.

When you line up for takeoff, keep the elevator pulled full up. Now start to apply power. When she's got a little airspeed, start to relax the elevator to neutral and apply more power. If you are doing it right, you will notice the tail will begin to fly first, but the main wheels are still planted to the ground.

When you see the tail is flying, now apply full power and do a normal takeoff.

A fellah taught me this trick many moons ago. No more noseovers !

Give it a try and see how it works out for you.

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Old Apr 06, 2010, 11:49 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
How did you all cut the dummy radial engine out? Forget the hobby knife it took me 45 min. just to do the center hole! lol Dremel?

-Dave
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Apr 07, 2010, 10:41 AM
Joined Jan 2008
107 Posts
the field is grass and bumpy but I fly other dragger there with no issue. I can finish a landing run and in the last 10 feet it will hit a bump and go over. When you press the nose down you can tell it is "light" to the touch. Curious if everyones Beavers if tipped to the nose will stay "hung over" or tip back? Dont think the landing gear can be mounted backwards but my "son" installed them and I never thought that could be it. MY feeling is if i could put the gear an inch forward it might fix it.
lmstech is offline Find More Posts by lmstech