HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 03, 2010, 02:41 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,884 Posts
http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store...ctrics&maxp=30
I thought a bit expensive; but look really good.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2010, 05:51 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
where did you find the 5mm prop adapter? I wen to the true Turn site and couldnt find it. Can I use that prop adapter with just a prop nut and the dummy radial eng.?? Also, did you have to ream the center of that MAS 12x8x3?? I see pic number 2 has that dreaded stepped collet!!! lol

Great test stand : )
Thanks for the comment on my test stand.

You ask: Can I use that prop adapter with just a prop nut and the dummy radial eng.?? No. It's designed to be used with a spinner, not a prop nut.

Also, did you have to ream the center of that MAS 12x8x3?? Yes. The Mas. Air. 12x8 3-blade already has a pre-drilled 1/4" (.250") prop hole. The outside diameter of the Power 32 EFlite collet is 0.2485". This is an interfearance fit of only 0.0015". A nice fit.

The so called "step" has a 0.373" outside diameter. It protrudes from the prop backing plate less than 0.060" (less than 1/16"). You can see this "step" in my previous picture.

The first time I mounted the prop I noticed this protruding step. Then I grabbed a standard 3/4" machinists reamer equipped with 45 degree cutting edges. Spin the reamer a few times at the back of the prop to allow clearance for the "step".

The bottom line ? If you want to use a Mas. Air. 12x8 3-blade prop with a prop nut instead of a spinner, simply use the collet that is supplied with the Power 32 motor. All you will need to do is ream the back side of the prop to clear the "step" and install the EFlite prop nut.

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Old Apr 04, 2010, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2008
107 Posts
need feedback, going to fly this plane again , just did a few flights last oct, and found the plane tipped on high grass and broke vertical twice, it appears very weak any ideas on making it a better stop block on the tips? the new field I will fly on may be better. could I be so far off on cg? seems like mains were mounted too far back.
lmstech is offline Find More Posts by lmstech
Old Apr 05, 2010, 08:11 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,413 Posts
Replace the wheels. I use Dubro 4" inflatable tires on mine and with no il affects to the flight. better ground handling and the cool factor goes way up.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:30 AM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efloatflyer View Post
Can anyone give any insight as to how exactly this tailwheel assembly is set up with regard to the springs and how could I incorporate this pull pull setup in the eflight beaver...
The one pic shows how far back I can go with placing the main arm on the bottom of the fuse I cant tell what is on the floor inside at that it would be screwing to.... probably no ply there just balsa... I would have to reinforce with ply there I would assume. As for the other supplied piece that came with it...... where does it go? The drawing inside the package shows the springs attached to this piece and then the going to both sides of the control arm over the tailwheel shaft. I was wondering what mods I would have to do to the fuse and inside on the rudder servo... (Hitec 225MG)
If it alot of work I probably will bag the idea and go with the stock setup...
Maybe with a bigger tundra tailwheel! Thanks in advance.

Mike
Was gonna fly the Beaver yesterday, and noticed my tailwheel dangling. found the tailwheel bracket(photo 1 in Mike's post) broken. Can't find it on Horizon's site. Anyone else had trouble with this bracket? Was thinking a small c-channel aluminum bracket might work, if I can find some c-channel that small...
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:53 AM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Was gonna fly the Beaver yesterday, and noticed my tailwheel dangling. found the tailwheel bracket(photo 1 in Mike's post) broken. Can't find it on Horizon's site. Anyone else had trouble with this bracket? Was thinking a small c-channel aluminum bracket might work, if I can find some c-channel that small...
Someone posted pics of one custom machined out of aluminum. Sorry, don't have the time to research the exact post. I think it was a buddy who made it for him, so I don't know what availability exists. I see an aftermarket opportunity for an enterprising soul, however...

Try calling HH. I know it's not a replacement part, but I also know a number of folks have broken theirs, so maybe they have a solution/suggestion/replacement.

Regards,

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
Old Apr 05, 2010, 09:56 AM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I went with the 5 inch Dubrows

Looks really great and the wheels will roll over anything : ) Totally make the plane. Weight is a little less than floats so Im guessing the 13x6.5 should work fine with no worries about prop ground strikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger View Post
Replace the wheels. I use Dubro 4" inflatable tires on mine and with no il affects to the flight. better ground handling and the cool factor goes way up.
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:08 PM
It actually Flies!
Salmon Arm, British Columbia, Canada
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunom15 View Post
Someone posted pics of one custom machined out of aluminum. Sorry, don't have the time to research the exact post. I think it was a buddy who made it for him, so I don't know what availability exists. I see an aftermarket opportunity for an enterprising soul, however...

Try calling HH. I know it's not a replacement part, but I also know a number of folks have broken theirs, so maybe they have a solution/suggestion/replacement.

Regards,

Bruno
I have seen a couple of broken tail wheel brackets so I installed a Sullivan tailwheel. Did not use the spring attachement that comes with it for stearing off the rudder, but actually soldered a section of the post that comes with the beaver into the top of the brass collet on the Sullivan unit. It works great and takes all the stress off the tail post. Much less bounce taxing around rough fields as well.

FF
Float Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Float Flyer
Last edited by Float Flyer; Apr 05, 2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Wrong Sullivan number. It was the 859 that I used. Softer spring.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 01:26 PM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Float Flyer View Post
I have seen a couple of broken tail wheel brackets so I installed a Sullivan tailwheel. Did not use the spring attachement that comes with it for stearing off the rudder, but actually soldered a section of the post that comes with the beaver into the top of the brass collet on the Sullivan unit. It works great and takes all the stress off the tail post. Much less bounce taxing around rough fields as well.

FF
Um, forgive me for being dense, but I'm having a hard time picturing your setup, and with my landings I suspect a tailwheel refit will be in the works sooner rather than later. What post do you mean? Is the tailwheel directly coupled to the rudder, or still driven by a separate pushrod?

Thanks,

Bruno
Old Apr 05, 2010, 02:50 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
click on the little blue arrow in the post where I quoted Float Flyer, and it will take you to his pic. I took mine apart over lunch, and picked up a piece of c-channel aluminum from the local Ace Hardware. It is for an "end cap" for 1/4" plywood. $7.49 for a 4' piece; I'll only need about 1.25" lol. I will post pics in the next couple days of my progress, but now I need the tailwheel tiller too, cuz the set screw was in so tight that I couldn't get it out and ended up breaking the tiller. I think I have a similar tiller arm with a set screw, so I'm on a quest to find/fabricate parts to make it work. I didn't think my landings were that rough, but without a spring in the tailwheel wire, that little plastic bracket takes the full force.
Old Apr 05, 2010, 04:45 PM
It actually Flies!
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Um, forgive me for being dense, but I'm having a hard time picturing your setup, and with my landings I suspect a tailwheel refit will be in the works sooner rather than later. What post do you mean? Is the tailwheel directly coupled to the rudder, or still driven by a separate pushrod?

Thanks,

Bruno
Have a look at the attached photos. I thought as I wrote my last post, that it was not very clear. I put the Sullivan unit on to keep from breaking the tail wheel mount in the first place. The original was a poor design and is bound to break if you side load it a bit.

I find that my new arrangement works very well.

I think the photos should explain it.

FF

PS. Looks like there are two Float Flyers out here.. Efloatflyer and Float Flyer!!
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:15 PM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Float Flyer View Post
Have a look at the attached photos. I thought as I wrote my last post, that it was not very clear. I put the Sullivan unit on to keep from breaking the tail wheel mount in the first place. The original was a poor design and is bound to break if you side load it a bit.

I find that my new arrangement works very well.

I think the photos should explain it.

FF

PS. Looks like there are two Float Flyers out here.. Efloatflyer and Float Flyer!!
Ah, a picture is worth 1000 words. Looks like a great mod. Think I'll add one of those tailwheels to an order I'm building.

Regards,

Bruno
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Hey Float Flyer,

You mentioned you used a larger wheel with the SUL860. What size wheel did you put on?

Regards,

Bruno
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:33 PM
USA, WY, Cody
Joined Jan 2008
422 Posts
Float flyer, very sano setup! BTW, I used one of those Sullivan tailwheels on my GP Reactor, and they take paint nicely. Anyone know if Horizon sells matching paint for the Beaver?
Old Apr 05, 2010, 05:47 PM
It actually Flies!
Joined Feb 2006
548 Posts
Quote:
Hey Float Flyer,

You mentioned you used a larger wheel with the SUL860. What size wheel did you put on?

Regards,

Bruno
I have a 1.25" Dia wheel on it from Sullivan and I did actually use the SUL859 not the SUL860 as I recently thought. I bought Both and wound up using the smaller 859. Softer landings I find. You could probably upsize to a 1.5" Dia wheel and it would still look good especially if you were planning on Tundra tires.

I should also mentiong that I needed to open up the hole in the Brass Collet that is on the Sullivan unit to fit the shaft diameter. I did it in a drill press and then soldered the shaft into the upsized hole. The White plastic takes fairly high temperatures, but I still clipped on a couple of heat sinks to not over heat the plastic. I guess you could also epoxy the shaft in to the hole if you can keep it tight.

This mod really works well. I did not re-inforce the fuselage structure where you attach the sullivan base, but I guess that would not hurt. I have had some pretty bad landings with the plane so far and no sign of damage anywhere.

I plan to paint it Red someday when I get around to finishing up some more details on it. I am working on some floats right now for it as well.

FF