HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Ok, has anyone else had a difficult time reamimg a prop to fit this wacky 2 step collet on the power 32??? What size is that final step up 8mm? Looks like you have to ream or drill in 1/8 inch to get it to sit flush.......Why isnt this a straight 5mm all the way? Is there a benefit to this 2 step collet?

-Dave
Hi Dave,

I really can't remember the collet size on the Power 32. I also can't remember if there are any multiple steps on the collet. Is the collet you are using the same one that was supplied with the EFlite motor ?

What prop (brand and size) are you attempting to use ? Will you be using the supplied aluminum collet nut to tighten down the prop, or are you using a spinner ?

Today I was planning on doing some amp/watt testing using various 2 and 3-blade props on a Power 32, so I'll be doing some reaming and drilling of a few different props.

I'll get back with you later with my opinions.

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:44 AM
AMA #916425
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidaven View Post
Ok, has anyone else had a difficult time reamimg a prop to fit this wacky 2 step collet on the power 32??? What size is that final step up 8mm? Looks like you have to ream or drill in 1/8 inch to get it to sit flush.......Why isnt this a straight 5mm all the way? Is there a benefit to this 2 step collet?

-Dave
yeah isn't a PITA? I have several e-flite aluminum spinners and they are the same. I have to ream my prop to fit the shaft and then dremel or drill the back of the prop to clear that stupid little step so I can tighten the collet.

Rick
Stiknrudder is offline Find More Posts by Stiknrudder
Last edited by Stiknrudder; Mar 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:25 AM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,876 Posts
I used an APCe prop & simply didn't fit the insert at the back. The original diam. without the insert is an OK fit for the step.
DavidN is offline Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:29 AM
AMA #916425
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN View Post
I used an APCe prop & simply didn't fit the insert at the back. The original diam. without the insert is an OK fit for the step.
ok makes sense, but i use all MA, zoar, and zinger props. Just can't get used to that weird shaped APC prop.

THanks for theheads up.

happy flying this weekend guys

Rick
Old Mar 27, 2010, 02:00 PM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
According to APC the hole w/o the insert is a "non-precision surface", so the prop may not balance well. They recommend using the locating rings if at all possible. There is a .313 inch ring, just over 5/16 inch, which works out to ~7.95mm. I did a little research, and found a collet adapter available from lazertoyz.com that fits a 5mm motor shaft and has a ~7.9mm (5/16 inch) prop shaft. This should theoretically work perfectly for the Power 32 with APC props. I haven't tried it, though, I used a Turnigy motor for my plane.

I have ordered other prop adapters from lazertoyz, and can recommend them for prompt service.

Regards,

Bruno
brunom15 is offline Find More Posts by brunom15
Old Mar 27, 2010, 04:54 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Thanks Bruno I just ordered 2 of those, one for the beaver the other for the 25 cub. Now I just have to figure out the shaft diameter for my mark chapman eagle 580 as I bought that plane with a rimfire 32 which seems bigger than 5mm : ( I also use xoar, master airscrew props. Wish they would standardize this crap!
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:00 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
looks like the rimfire 32 is also a 5mm shaft! Boy, they must have listened to my complaint and acted quick huh??? lol
Now the issue is that I have a few 12x7's and 12x8's from xoar that are roughly 3mm drilled int he center. My reamer is tapered and the prop is pretty thick. Id like a 5mm straight thru hole rather than a tapered one. Id have to hand ream from both sides and hope I leave 5mm in the center.....otherwise im thinking of buying a 5mm drill bit and inserting to a hand chuck which would act like a hand reamer......At this rate the beaver will maiden in the fall!
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Mar 27, 2010, 05:32 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,876 Posts
Bruno the 1st step doesn't make contact except to the side walls, so balance is OK.
That said the aluminium screw thread was a bit tight on one of my 2 eflite 5mm prop adapters & after a nose over it got stuck 1/2 off 1/2 on & was consigned to the garbage. Never had a problem with those that come with Hacker motors, so I borrowed one of them.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 06:34 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Hi Guys,

Are we all talking about about the same part ? The collet and ferrel that is supplied with the EFlite Power 32 motor ? None of the dimensions are metric, they are all non-metric.

The thread size on the collet is 1/4"-28 (SAE thread).

The collet outside diameter is 0.2485" (to allow a 1/4" .250" prop hole to fit). Most APC's and Master Airscrew props in this size range use 1/4" prop holes.

The so called step has a 0.373" outside diameter. It protrudes from the prop backing plate less than 0.060" (less than 1/16").

I am trying to understand what the problem is ? I mounted the recommended APC 13x6.5E prop to the collet. This prop has a .249" inside diameter prop hole. The collet has a .2485" outside diameter shaft. Almost a perfect fit. The .249" prop hole centers the prop to the .2485" collet.

The first time I mounted the prop I noticed this protruding step. Then I grabbed a standard 3/4" machinists reamer equipped with 45 degree cutting edges. Spun the reamer a few times at the back of the prop to allow clearance for the step. Bah-da boom, bah-da bing......all done.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see any problem.
As Ricky used to say to Lucy "can you please 'splain this to me" ?

Joe M.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 07:24 PM
AMA #916425
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Joined Sep 2008
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMamma View Post
Hi Guys,

Are we all talking about about the same part ? The collet and ferrel that is supplied with the EFlite Power 32 motor ? None of the dimensions are
The first time I mounted the prop I noticed this protruding step. Then I grabbed a standard 3/4" machinists reamer equipped with 45 degree cutting edges. Spun the reamer a few times at the back of the prop to allow clearance for the step. Bah-da boom, bah-da bing......all done.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see any problem.
As Ricky used to say to Lucy "can you please 'splain this to me" ?

Joe M.
Nope. you just splained it to me...how to get the prop flush against the backplate...that bevel will do the trick.

Thanks.
RIck
Old Mar 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,876 Posts
The shaft diam is 5mm http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...odID=EFLM4032A

The collett info is not on the webpage.
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM1925
Old Mar 27, 2010, 09:34 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Quote:
The entire collet/ferrel assembly is machined to non-metric dimensions. The only machined metric dimension is the 5mm opening used to adapt the assembly to a 5mm (0.1968498") motor shaft.

Joe M.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
The entire collet/ferrel assembly is machined to non-metric dimensions. The only machined metric dimension is the 5mm opening used to adapt the assembly to a 5mm (0.1968498") motor shaft.

Joe M.
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me! I don't have a Power 32 collet to measure, and just dropped and broke my dial calipers Friday, to boot . Glad my kids weren't around at the time to learn some choice new words...

I wish HH would put complete dimensional specs on their collets, wheels, pilots, etc. where dimensions are relevant. This would be useful to buyers trying to determine if the item will fit their application. I usually end up either getting the dimensions from some kind person who already owns the item and has responded to a request to post the dimensions, or I end up buying something equivalent from another vendor who has published dimensions.

Only costs money, I know...

Regards,

Bruno
Old Mar 28, 2010, 09:57 AM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunom15 View Post
Sounds like a reasonable solution to me! I don't have a Power 32 collet to measure, and just dropped and broke my dial calipers Friday, to boot . Glad my kids weren't around at the time to learn some choice new words...

I wish HH would put complete dimensional specs on their collets, wheels, pilots, etc. where dimensions are relevant. This would be useful to buyers trying to determine if the item will fit their application. I usually end up either getting the dimensions from some kind person who already owns the item and has responded to a request to post the dimensions, or I end up buying something equivalent from another vendor who has published dimensions.

Only costs money, I know...

Regards,

Bruno
Complete dimensional specs ? Yeah.....I hear Ya.

A while ago, I purchased a pilot on-line. The only specs given were: it's 1/7 scale. When it arrived, it was much bigger.

Now I only purchase pilots with full dimensions stated; shoulder width, height from base to top of head, etc.

Prop collets ? Even more confusion here. One of the most important specs to me is the dimension from the front of the prop backing plate to the end of the threads on the collet. I don't believe I've ever seen this spec in print.

Some props use a thicker hub. When you install a certain brand of prop on a certain brand of collet, there may be only a few threads to engage the prop nut. If they would only make all of their collets maybe 1/2" longer. Hey........if it's too long, you can always grind it down.

All in all, most of the manufacturers and vendors now supply a wealth of information, aircraft and specialty parts for this hobby. Wow.....if you look back 8-10 years ago, you can see it's MUCH better now.

Things can only get better !

Joe M.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
Joined Sep 2006
277 Posts
Quote:
Complete dimensional specs ? Yeah.....I hear Ya.

A while ago, I purchased a pilot on-line. The only specs given were: it's 1/7 scale. When it arrived, it was much bigger.

Now I only purchase pilots with full dimensions stated; shoulder width, height from base to top of head, etc.

Prop collets ? Even more confusion here. One of the most important specs to me is the dimension from the front of the prop backing plate to the end of the threads on the collet. I don't believe I've ever seen this spec in print.

Some props use a thicker hub. When you install a certain brand of prop on a certain brand of collet, there may be only a few threads to engage the prop nut. If they would only make all of their collets maybe 1/2" longer. Hey........if it's too long, you can always grind it down.

All in all, most of the manufacturers and vendors now supply a wealth of information, aircraft and specialty parts for this hobby. Wow.....if you look back 8-10 years ago, you can see it's MUCH better now.

Things can only get better !

Joe M.
Yes, there's a lot more information available now, thanks to the Internet. A lot more crap to wade through, as well, but that's a fair tradeoff in my mind.

The funny thing is, the complete dimensions, with tolerances, are all available to begin with from the engineering specs for the parts. Of course, I can't imagine any product designer actually publishing the full engineering specs (revisions, et. al.) for a product, but more info on physical properties that impact the end user make for a richer experience - I'm more likely to source parts from a place that lets me pick the components I want and do my virtual building with confidence that the components I select will work together with minimal modification. I don't like just guessing/hoping that parts will work together, then discovering that I wasted money because I guessed wrong.

Of course, I realize that I'm in the minority on this point as far as the general public is concerned (present company excepted, of course). It seems to me most folks in this world want the complete solution to what ever it is served up to them on a platter. I can't fault the vendors for presenting complete packages, never mind the boring mumbo jumbo, details, schmetails, to attract a larger customer base. The 80-20 rule strikes yet again.

---

Funny, in reading what I just wrote I guess I want a complete solution too, just of a different sort: Give me all the information on a platter, so I don't have to burn a lot of time and money buying tons of stuff to experiment with and/or pestering people for more information. Perhaps I'm not in such a minority as I thought...

Regards,

Bruno