SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:08 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by no stick
Charlie, It's not that simple. Most internal ESC BEC's are linear voltage regulars.......
Ed
The Eflite ESC I toasted in a dunking had a switching BEC. So does the Turnigy ESC that's in the model now and the Brand X in my T'craft, too. You have to pick your equipment.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:14 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry B
I don't worry about the battery I worry about the ESC BEC not providing the rated current or the ESC failing. Many members at our field have had ESC's fail but luckily they either had a receiver battery or a separate BEC. I know in theory it should be fine but for this model I didn't want to take a chance.
You can have the same worry about a separate BEC not being up to its specs. I'vc had two ESCs fail. In both cases the motor transistors failed but the BEC kept functioning, so the radio gear still worked.

CR
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:52 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
454 Posts
After reading some of the posts in the Castle Creations BEC review I am starting to realize that. Not sure what to do now. Maybe back to a Receiver battery.
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:48 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,889 Posts
Gerry,
I have been using all different kinds of ESC's over the past few years. Hacker, Airboss, Castle, Hobby City, Eflite, Pentium etc. I have never had a failure traceable to the ESC or its BEC except for the one supplied with my HL F-16. I have seen electric models with wiring that closely resembled a Brillo pad! Under capacity lipos, poor soldering and wiring are the causes of most failures.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:56 AM
North Bay, Ontario
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry B
After reading some of the posts in the Castle Creations BEC review I am starting to realize that. Not sure what to do now. Maybe back to a Receiver battery.
Hello Gerry:

In my E-Flight Beaver I'm running an E-Flight 32 motor and six HS225 servos, all powered through a 70 amp Jetti speed controller. This speed controller does not have a BEC, so I'm using the following UBEC:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ubec.htm

This configuration has worked very well for me. I have no overheating or power cut-off problems; great peace of mind for the price of the $35.00 UBEC.

Peter
wesson is offline Find More Posts by wesson
Old Dec 17, 2008, 07:30 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,259 Posts
Jeti ESCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesson
Hello Gerry:

In my E-Flight Beaver I'm running an E-Flight 32 motor and six HS225 servos, all powered through a 70 amp Jetti speed controller. This speed controller does not have a BEC, so I'm using the following UBEC:

Peter
I looked at Jeti (sp?) Escs in the 70A range. Some have BECs and some do not. The quoted specs on the on-board ESCs are pretty loose and open to interpretation. So are some separate BECs' specs.

Because of the above, I don't get where the "peace of mind" comes from. On board the ESC or separate, a (switching) BEC is a BEC and runs off the same common battery. Oh well...........................

CR
Old Dec 17, 2008, 08:46 PM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Power System

I power my Beaver with the following setup:
Turnigy - 42-50A Motor (720 Watt capable)
Tower Pro - Mag8 70Amp ESC (no BEC)
Thunder Power - 4S 3300 25C Lipo Battery
APC - 12 x 8e Prop

This setup results in 427 watts at 31 amps (WOT). At this rate, I do not come close to the max ratings for any of the system components. I use a standard 1000 mah receiver battery pack. I am more than pleased with the performance of the plane with this setup. There is more than adequate power for most any maneuver you should perform with the Beaver and extra power for those who want to operate "outside the box". After a 10 minute flight, I use about 70% (FMA charger) of the battery and the motor and ESC are cool to the touch (components run at half rating). Can't ask for more than that!
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Last edited by Iflyrc_vic; Dec 17, 2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 12:12 AM
North Bay, Ontario
Joined Dec 2003
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
I don't get where the "peace of mind" comes from. CR
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I've read about a few horror stories where modellers have used more three or four servos with a standard BEC and all appeared to function well on the ground, but once in the air, the BEC shut down or fried and they were left with no control. Obviously you could use a separate receiver/servo batt pack, but that just means charging an additional pack before you fly. I was not aware that you could buy a BEC that would handle numerous servos safely.

Peter
wesson is offline Find More Posts by wesson
Old Dec 28, 2008, 03:11 AM
Canberra, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
79 Posts
Marathon

I have just read this entire thread.

There were one or two great pointers for my beaver build - thanks.
JohninOz is offline Find More Posts by JohninOz
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:15 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
United States, OR, Mt Angel
Joined Jan 2008
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninOz
Marathon

You read over two thousand posts and only got one or two pointers? lol
D.B. Hooper is offline Find More Posts by D.B. Hooper
Old Dec 28, 2008, 08:20 AM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesson
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I've read about a few horror stories where modellers have used more three or four servos with a standard BEC and all appeared to function well on the ground, but once in the air, the BEC shut down or fried and they were left with no control. Obviously you could use a separate receiver/servo batt pack, but that just means charging an additional pack before you fly. I was not aware that you could buy a BEC that would handle numerous servos safely.

Peter

The E-flite 60 is one of the few ESC's that can run 6 digital servos. Didn't anyone read the directions?
Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:55 AM
USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,306 Posts
Thread Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninOz
Marathon

First, I'm amazed that you "read" the eintire thread - lots of messages with numerous tips on building this model. Second, if you only got a few pointers from this extremely large thread, you are a very good builder. I hope your beaver turns out as good as some of ours. I love my beaver.
Iflyrc_vic is offline Find More Posts by Iflyrc_vic
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:40 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
What the hell. Why can't you believe that the man got a couple good pieces of advice from reading this thread? I don't doubt that there are only several good pieces of info in the thread, a few of which he probably knew. The rest is filled with harsh words from people that have been provoked by you people.

Instead of calling that guy out on what he said why not just keep it to yourself? Maybe he typed it in wrong. Maybe he really only did learn a couple new things. Just chill out.
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Last edited by countrygentleman; Dec 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 01:58 PM
Flirtin With Disaster !!
Joined Jan 2008
1,432 Posts
[QUOTE=countrygentleman]
I don't doubt that there are only several good pieces of info in the thread.
(Like is it ok to fly without the windows?)

Hey do you have Internet in your ice fishing shanty?

Best advice: Put the windows in before flying.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 09:03 PM
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Windows not necessary. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Besides I only neglected one window, not all.

Best advice: make sure you can fly and assemble the plane before buying. Then if not, don't cry while you struggle your a** off. LOL
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman