Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:27 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
#1crash

Nice hangar!
16R is the North to South runway at Van Nuys Airport. (I've lived within close proximity for most of my life.)
VNY is the busiest general aviation airport in the US.

Here's a video you guys might enjoy:
http://www.terwilligerproductions.com/onesixright/
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Last edited by One Six Right; Nov 19, 2008 at 11:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:42 AM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
video

Cool video G. Thanks
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old Dec 14, 2008, 06:18 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Just got my Jan. '09 issue of RC Report magazine. Gordon Banks and Tony Coberly did a nice review on the Eflite Beaver. Was thinking about adding this one to the fleet.

Had a question about batteries for you Beaver owners. I looked at the assembly manual at the Horizon website and it shows the battery installed through an opening on the bottom of the cowl.

I already have four 11.1 volt 3-cell 2100 mah lipo's and would like to use two of them to power the Beaver. Do you think two 3-cell lipos will fit ? I sure hate to buy any more batteries.

Joe M.
JoeMamma is offline Find More Posts by JoeMamma
Old Dec 14, 2008, 07:42 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
I'm really starting to get into the DeHaviland Beaver.

Just found a website with 622 pictures !

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....DHC-2%20Beaver

Joe M.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 12:56 AM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
454 Posts
Two 3 cell 2170's will fit in mine, I just tried it.
Thanks for the link to the Beaver pictures, good reference photos. I found a similar bunch of photos on flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/beaver/pool/page1/
Gerry B is offline Find More Posts by Gerry B
Old Dec 15, 2008, 01:56 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Gerry,

Thanks for the battery info. I'll be counting on using a pair of Thunder Power Extreme 3-cell 2100's. I'll also need to make up a "Y" harness.

I still haven't decided which motor to use, but starting off with 11.1 volts and 4200mah should give me a good start.

Did you use a separate battery to eliminate your BEC ? Apparently this caution is in the assembly manual.

Joe M.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMamma
Gerry,

I still haven't decided which motor to use, but starting off with 11.1 volts and 4200mah should give me a good start.

Did you use a separate battery to eliminate your BEC ? Apparently this caution is in the assembly manual.

Joe M.
Lots of motors work. I used the power 32 but others have used Skorps, etc. Browse the threads to see what worked for others.

Separate BEC is a matter of preference & how many milliamps your servos will draw at full deflection. Some folks like a separate Rx/servo battery too. Personally, I use the BEC on my ESC but I time my flights and don't run my LiPo way down.

CR

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Dec 15, 2008, 03:19 PM
Lenox Twp., Michigan
Joined Oct 2004
708 Posts
Charley,

The Park 32 sounds like a good choice. Just called my local hobby shop and checked the Horizon site........they won't have them 'til late December.

Part of my fleet includes three EFlite ARF's.....the Edge 240, P-38 and P-47. They are all powered with Park 480 1020Kv Outrunner's. So far they have been excellant motors, so I guess I'll stick with Park.

I won't know if I'll need to eliminate the BEC on the Beaver until I choose, install and test all of the servos together. I'm still using the BEC on the P-38 .....it's using 5 servos.....so far so good !

I too, also closely monitor my flying times, so most likely I won't need an extra receiver battery.

Joe M.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:32 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
454 Posts
If your going with the power 32 you may want to use a 4 cell.

I went with the power 32, 4 cell 3700, 60A ESC and a seperate CC BEC. I am using 4 inch tundra tires or floats so I wanted the bigger motor.

I have a lot of Park 480 planes too and had good luck with the motors so I stayed with E-Flite
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:34 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMamma
Charley,

I won't know if I'll need to eliminate the BEC on the Beaver until I choose, install and test all of the servos together. I'm still using the BEC on the P-38 .....it's using 5 servos.....so far so good !

Joe M.
With 5 servos I would and do use a seperate BEC. Small investment to insure control of a nice plane.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Dec 15, 2008, 06:51 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,412 Posts
I used an Axi 2826-10 in mine along with a C.C. Phoenix 60 and UBEC just to make sure.
With a 3S 3700 Lipo or similar pack, it has more than enough power for ROG and flies just above 50% throttle. Measured input in watts was close to 420. The prop was an APCE 13X6.5. I have the float kit for mine so a 4S pack is in the future which when tested with this motor provides tons of power.
I tend to use packs that are some what over rated for the job so sometimes some of these packs won't fit. I had a heck of a time trying to get a Polyquest 4S 3700 pack into it. Obviously I need to get some smaller packs.LOL
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Dec 15, 2008, 07:45 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyman
With 5 servos I would and do use a seperate BEC. Small investment to insure control of a nice plane.
Terry
What I don't understand is the logic of using a separate BEC. If the one on the ESC is capable of providing the current that the servos require, why add complexity? Any way you look at it the power comes out of the same battery.

CR
Charley38 is offline Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:22 PM
Surrey, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2007
454 Posts
I don't worry about the battery I worry about the ESC BEC not providing the rated current or the ESC failing. Many members at our field have had ESC's fail but luckily they either had a receiver battery or a separate BEC. I know in theory it should be fine but for this model I didn't want to take a chance.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:03 PM
Ohio
Joined May 2003
2,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
What I don't understand is the logic of using a separate BEC. If the one on the ESC is capable of providing the current that the servos require, why add complexity? Any way you look at it the power comes out of the same battery. CR
Charlie, It's not that simple. Most internal ESC BEC's are linear voltage regulars and as such must dissipate a lot of heat when the voltage is cut down to 4-6 volts to drive servos. Tough job for a system with 4s Lipo and a full charge of 16.8 volts. The Eflite ESC seem to hold up better than others. The result if the BEC is not adequate enough is a thermal shutdown. The separate BECs are switchable voltage regulators and generate much less heat. Here is a good writeup of the Castle Creations 10 Amp BEC review and related info about linear BECs.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=748220

Ed
no stick is offline Find More Posts by no stick
Old Dec 16, 2008, 02:15 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,832 Posts
The Eflite Pro series, Airboss, Hacker and many others are available with switching BEC's that are capable of handling more than 4 servos.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn