HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2008, 09:49 AM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Six Right
Flight pack? No. Don't need it. Just a PIA. Just use the Castle CC BEC. Youll love it.

Pilot44

Those slots look a little weak and prone to vibration failure to me.
I just put 4 servo screws on mine from the outside. paint them, and they'll practically disappear.
You could be correct on that one, I will just have to keep an eye on the mounts after a flight to be sure that is not an issue. Not much vibration in my setup, I take great care in balancing my props. Then you could just epoxy on a bit of glassing cloth to one side, trim it up, that should prevent a failure. The cowl snugs up on the fuselage so I doubt you would lose the cowl in the air should a mount bracket crack. If this method fails I surely will bring it up here in this forum. I think it will holdup fine as is, but you never know, does ya...

I just did not like the idea of the 4 external screws on the outside simply for cosmetics sake, has a clean look without the screws.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Oct 31, 2008 at 10:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2008, 11:32 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot44
I think it will holdup fine as is, but you never know, does ya...

I just did not like the idea of the 4 external screws on the outside simply for cosmetics sake, has a clean look without the screws.

Jim
I have the cowl off mine right now in order to get at the ESC connections, was going to convert it to magnets. I'll try your method instead, much simpler. I'll saturate the tabs with glue after cutting the slots. My experience was that the tabs came off the cowl, rather than break, due, in my model's case, because a couple of the blind nuts were in installed crooked. Had to pop them out and reinstall. I reinstalled the tabs with epoxy glue. Much stronger bond.

CR
Charley38 is online now Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Oct 31, 2008, 01:50 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
Learned something interesting yesterday.... it would seem that the real beaver only had corrugations on the lower surface of the ailerons and flaps and not on the top surfaces. Not a huge deal but interesting none the less.

Elevator had corrugations both top and bottom.... but not the ailerons.

E-Flite model is still nice though
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Nov 02, 2008, 06:08 AM
M. Wood ...back into the hobby
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Jul 2008
35 Posts
has anyone fitted Skies to it yet, living in the Great White North it would be nice to have a winter flyier in the hanger
madwood is offline Find More Posts by madwood
Old Nov 02, 2008, 08:11 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,413 Posts
I've got a set of Dubro aluminum skis which should work just fine. It will take a little work to get them fitted to the LG, butno more than usual.
No snow in the forecast yet, but we all know it's coming.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old Nov 12, 2008, 04:39 PM
Phonenix, AZ
Joined Aug 2008
21 Posts
This is a posting for anyone considering buying one of these kits directly from Horizon.

I've been waiting for mine to arrive for four months. I was locked in at the $189 price, but not having to wait for four months, it worth $30 to me.

Also, each time I've contacted them I've been told my plane would ship as soon as the next shipment came in. I've heard that 3 times now, and seen further delays posted on the web after each time.

Today I asked for my order to be canceled. I won't be ordering from Horizon anytime soon. Seems that you can always find one of these planes on the web for the current price. As soon as I see that my order has been canceled, I'll be finding one else where.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, I just thought this would be the most logical place to post.
white over red is offline Find More Posts by white over red
Old Nov 12, 2008, 05:08 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,892 Posts
white over red,
What part of BACKORDER did you fail to understand? They can't ship what they don't have in inventory. No reason to complain as they were being honest with you...
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 12, 2008, 09:53 PM
Let er Rip
Long Island, NY
Joined Oct 2003
3,111 Posts
Horizon,

I was missing a bag of parts for my beaver, called 3 time in the last 4 weeks, still no parts to my door. Very poor customer service. I won't buy from them again if this the direction they are heading.

Jim
Pilot44 is offline Find More Posts by Pilot44
Last edited by Pilot44; Nov 13, 2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:06 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Maybe that's why my usual Beaver source hasn't called me. Are the Beavers not currently available. I need one.
Has anyone ever tried to cut the (good) tail section off the fuse and join it to a new fuse (trimmed at the same place)?
Thanks, Gary G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn
white over red,
What part of BACKORDER did you fail to understand? They can't ship what they don't have in inventory. No reason to complain as they were being honest with you...
Gary
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:08 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,172 Posts
Man, I would've stayed locked in with the way these things are going nowadays. I know it takes a long time sometimes, but it's worth it to me. Even if I just get it later as a spare or to sell to someone else at a better than retail price and still make a couple of bucks. I bought my E-Flite J3 Cub 25 in January ... I didn't get it until May, I think. It cost $139 when I bought it, was up to $159 when I finally got to pick it up, and went up to $199 just a couple of months after that.

Wish I could have gotten these Platinum planes when they originally debuted at around $165. That seemed a little high then, but $225 ... no way I'll ever own one of these NIB now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by white over red
This is a posting for anyone considering buying one of these kits directly from Horizon.

I've been waiting for mine to arrive for four months. I was locked in at the $189 price, but not having to wait for four months, it worth $30 to me.

Also, each time I've contacted them I've been told my plane would ship as soon as the next shipment came in. I've heard that 3 times now, and seen further delays posted on the web after each time.

Today I asked for my order to be canceled. I won't be ordering from Horizon anytime soon. Seems that you can always find one of these planes on the web for the current price. As soon as I see that my order has been canceled, I'll be finding one else where.

Sorry to interrupt the thread, I just thought this would be the most logical place to post.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Nov 12, 2008, 10:12 PM
another MONSTER ?
Valencia, CA
Joined Jan 2008
3,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict
Man, I would've stayed locked in with the way these things are going nowadays. I know it takes a long time sometimes, but it's worth it to me. Even if I just get it later as a spare or to sell to someone else at a better than retail price and still make a couple of bucks. I bought my E-Flite J3 Cub 25 in January ... I didn't get it until May, I think. It cost $139 when I bought it, was up to $159 when I finally got to pick it up, and went up to $199 just a couple of months after that.

Wish I could have gotten these Platinum planes when they originally debuted at around $165. That seemed a little high then, but $225 ... no way I'll ever own one of these NIB now.
They can still be gotten for 179.00. Just shop around a bit.
One Six Right is offline Find More Posts by One Six Right
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:38 AM
Fresno, California
Joined Mar 2007
2,591 Posts
Just my .02 about horizon. I called them up to try to find a replacement radial for my AT-6. They sent me one plus a new cowl. That was even after I told them the accident was my fault!!! Thats great service if you ask me.

Ok no more off topic. Back to the Beaver Talk!!!
BigGuyJT is online now Find More Posts by BigGuyJT
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:01 AM
Pro Horder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,382 Posts
Hi Gary, they have arrived..not a lot of them..but there are back!
Scott
Airland Hobbies
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Nov 13, 2008, 09:51 PM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,260 Posts
Accept price inceases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerlAddict

Holy Smoke! I HAD to pay $4 a gallon for gas because I needed to get to work.

I damned sure don't have to pay almost twice the price for an ARF. Especially since the price of fuel is decreasing and the dollar is strengthening against other currencies.

What is up with us that we accept getting raped by the jobbers and retailers when the price in the supplying country is holding firm?

CR
Charley38 is online now Find More Posts by Charley38
Old Nov 14, 2008, 08:32 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,504 Posts
If you don't buy it and others do the same, they will re-adjust. Here in Canada with our dollar going down vs US dollar, most hobby supply prices are going sky high. A hangar 9 B-25 that was selling for 399 $ this summer is now selling 599 $

And the top flite one is selling 809 $

Think I will wait before expanding the fleet... My girlfriend won't matter though...

Carguy
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member