HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2008, 08:11 PM
Tree Hater
Howland, Ohio
Joined Jun 2004
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman
Okay, a few dumb flap servo questions. Do I do exactly what the manuel says and make two IDENTICAL flap covers with the same servo positioning? Or do I flip the second cover so the servo arm is on the far side of the cover vs the near side like on the first one? Second, I do use a Y-harness for the flaps right? I don't really recall what the minor issue was regarding the flap servos some 70 pages back.

Thanks,
Chris

Make 'em identical....that way all you need is a "Y" harness (non-reversing) and both will go up or down in unison.
zeuglodon is offline Find More Posts by zeuglodon
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2008, 08:48 PM
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Ustabee supported Unabomber
Joined Sep 2006
1,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuglodon
Make 'em identical....that way all you need is a "Y" harness (non-reversing) and both will go up or down in unison.
Thanks.
countrygentleman is offline Find More Posts by countrygentleman
Old May 08, 2008, 05:26 PM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
928 Posts
My suggestion is that if you have a computer radio with enough channels, put each servo on a separate channel and use a mix to control both flap servos. Doing this allows you use the EPA and Subtrim features to sync them together.

Whenever I use separate servos for flaps or ailerons, I always put them on individual channels so I can fine tune the travel adjustments easily. Make them as close mechanically as possible then use the radio's features to your advantage. Makes life more easy!

JMHO,
Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old May 08, 2008, 07:21 PM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,412 Posts
After perusing through my Eclipse 7 handbook, I was even more confused, so I'm calling them Friday and try to get it sorted. I would also like to set up the aileron and flap servos on their own individual channel, but getting the mixes and hopefully a 3 way toggle switch to control the flap setting may be more than what the radio is capable of.
I just got my new servos for the elevator and rudder (HS-225BB) today from BP Hobbies. Fast service from these guys. Now I need to get my Berg 7 Rxcr and maybe, just maybe it'll work.
jollyroger is offline Find More Posts by jollyroger
Old May 14, 2008, 09:17 AM
Joined Jul 2007
8,644 Posts
dont flip the flap servo. Holes for pushrods are different. Use a "Y" lead. both will move the same way.. Trust me. mine did.
Zootster is online now Find More Posts by Zootster
Old May 17, 2008, 05:33 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,412 Posts
I talked with one of the techs at Hitec and found the radio did not have the programing to do what I want. @#%&*** so now I'm going to set up the ailerons on ch. 1&6 and use ch.5 for the flaps and see if I can mix the elevator in the with flaps that way. the radio has 5 P-mixes so it should not be a problem. Looks like my next radio will either be a JR or Spectrum. LOL
Old May 17, 2008, 07:21 AM
United States, TX, Kerrville
Joined Oct 2003
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
I talked with one of the techs at Hitec and found the radio did not have the programing to do what I want. @#%&*** so now I'm going to set up the ailerons on ch. 1&6 and use ch.5 for the flaps and see if I can mix the elevator in the with flaps that way. the radio has 5 P-mixes so it should not be a problem. Looks like my next radio will either be a JR or Spectrum. LOL
Don't know what you want to do but I know my Eclipse 7 has a 3 position switch on it that must correspond to at least one channel. I'd put the flaps on that with a Y cable and put the ailerons on channel 1 with a Y cable. Any reason why that won't work?

CR
Charley38 is online now Find More Posts by Charley38
Last edited by Charley38; May 18, 2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old May 17, 2008, 07:54 AM
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jan 2003
23 Posts
Floats...?

Anybody out there tried to fly the E-flite Beaver off water using the recommended E-flite floats? My one and only try was unsuccessful. No damage but this sucker would not get off the water, and it was being flown by a more experienced pilot. There's no detailed instruction on how to set up the floats other than to "install them". What is the correct angle of the floats, where is the CG, ac forward CG or aft CG? Any suggestions out there?
Bigstik is offline Find More Posts by Bigstik
Old May 17, 2008, 08:04 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstik
Anybody out there tried to fly the E-flite Beaver off water using the recommended E-flite floats? My one and only try was unsuccessful. No damage but this sucker would not get off the water, and it was being flown by a more experienced pilot. There's no detailed instruction on how to set up the floats other than to "install them". What is the correct angle of the floats, where is the CG, ac forward CG or aft CG? Any suggestions out there?
I would check the incidence between the wing and the floats. Put shims under the front mounts to get at least a couple of degrees of positive, I prefer 3*, measured at the wing. There's a pic of how to do it on one of these Beaver threads.

BTW, did you try it with the flaps extended?

CR
Old May 17, 2008, 09:01 AM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,467 Posts
Floats work fine, especially with half flaps

What prop and power system are you useing?

are you useing the float mounts that came with the beaver or the ones that came with the float s?

did you mount the float struts with the high end of the N brace forward?

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old May 17, 2008, 03:55 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,218 Posts
Float Rigging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigstik
I maidened my Beaver, on floats, this morning. I had made some shims to go under the front float mounts because I didn't think there was enough incidence between the wing and floats, but I decided that I ought to give the out-of-the-box rig a look. After having flown it, all I can say is: this model is not rigged right for float flying as it comes out of the box. You can yank it off but it isn't right.

When I applied throttle, holding full up elevator (EL), the model tried to dig in the float tips. I had to blip the throttle to get moving a bit for the EL to bite before it quit blowing water from the prop. After it got on the step, I had to apply a bunch of up EL to yank it off the water. Not good.

In the air it was fine. Power 32 on 4c 4,000 is more than enough. Flies very scale. Sure looks good on a flyby.

Landing was a little hot but when it was greased in pretty fast it did OK.

My evaluation is that it needs more positive incidence between the wing and floats, say 3 degrees, and the CG needs to be at the rear spec. Mine was balanced in the middle of the CG range. I'm going to shim the front mounts and I'll tellya wha' hoppen.

Pics:
Last edited by Charley38; May 17, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old May 17, 2008, 06:37 PM
Joined Oct 2003
2,218 Posts
Twin Rudders

Nav,

This is for you: An extra cable and rudder. Cables cross inside.

CR
Old May 17, 2008, 07:45 PM
Screw the wind, let's fly!
Lawrenceville, Ga
Joined Feb 2008
2,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
Nav,

This is for you: An extra cable and rudder. Cables cross inside.

CR
Hey "Charley".
Man I was lookin at the 1st pic,saying, dang if he didnt giter done, then this. Very cool .Thank you.
Can you post pic of the inside servo set up. ??? Ive been doin a littler tinkering in there myself.Unveiling later this week.Maybe...
Biiiig WIP
Naval Warfare is offline Find More Posts by Naval Warfare
Old May 18, 2008, 09:20 AM
Central Lake, Michigan
Joined Dec 2002
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley38
Don't know what you want to do but I know my Eclipse 7 has a 3 position switch on it that must correspond to at least one channel. I'd put the flaps on that with a Y cable and put the ailerons on channel 2 with a Y cable. Any reason why that won't work?

CR
The switch is labeled "Flight Mode" and so far I can only mix in some elevator if needed. I don't know why but the tech told me it can't be used as a three position flap switch. So now I have the flaps connected to ch.5 and just flip the landing gear switch. BTW I should have tested it with an aileron servo ..........when I plugged in the flap "Y" connector,one of the servos stripped a gear. Got it all sorted now. The ailerons are plugged into ch.1&6 so I can set up some differential.
Maybe a DX-7 is in my future.LOL
Old May 18, 2008, 10:44 AM
Joined Oct 2003
2,218 Posts
Spoke too Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyroger
The switch is labeled "Flight Mode" and so far I can only mix in some elevator if needed. I don't know why but the tech told me it can't be used as a three position flap switch. So now I have the flaps connected to ch.5 and just flip the landing gear switch. BTW I should have tested it with an aileron servo ..........when I plugged in the flap "Y" connector,one of the servos stripped a gear. Got it all sorted now. The ailerons are plugged into ch.1&6 so I can set up some differential.
Maybe a DX-7 is in my future.LOL
By golly he's right! I should have refreshed my memory from the manual. Did you notice that in Acro mode that switch enables Elevator to Flap mix?

I remember now that when I chose which radio for my Beaver, one reason I used the RDS 8000 was that it had the 3 position switch directly controlling channel 6. The other reason was that I want my float planes on spread spectrum so I don't have to worry about interference if I'm not at an AMA field that has a frequency control board.

CR