chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:03 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
I'm tryin to work here!

Geez, can't a guy work on his boat in peace?

Should be posting a few pictures of my progress later today or tomorrow. I 've been messing around with a few different types of fishing line, looking for what works the best for the sheets -The cotton line that came with this boat was not as good as the line my that came on my other Nirvanas, and had to be changed due it developing a number of snags.

One line I have is a bit too large in diameter for the hole coming of the servo box, but has the flexibility I like, and another one I have looks like a Spectra line but is a bit stiff. The sporting goods stores near me do not have the diameter line I am looking for.

What test line are you using John? I think I asked you that before but don't remember your answer. Old guy thing.

Wonder what Dennis used on the Super Nirvana?

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:04 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Geez, can't a guy work on his boat in peace?

Should be posting a few pictures of my progress later today or tomorrow. I 've been messing around with a few different types of fishing line, looking for what works the best for the sheets -The cotton line that came with this boat was not as good as the line my that came on my other Nirvanas, and had to be changed due it developing a number of snags.

One line I have is a bit too large in diameter for the hole coming of the servo box, but has the flexibility I like, and another one I have looks like a Spectra line but is a bit stiff. The sporting goods stores near me do not have the diameter line I am looking for.

What test line are you using John? I think I asked you that before but don't remember your answer. Old guy thing.

Wonder what Dennis used on the Super Nirvana?

Boomer
I replaced my sheet lines with the Dyneema (Spectra), White 0.4 mm 30 kg which while it is very strong, it is bit on the small side. I have had the sheet lines get hung up in the pulley sliding over the wheel getting caught a couple of times. I wouldn't use anything smaller than .5 mm. I wonder if the .8mm is too big? I have thought about replacing my sheet lines as well.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,869 Posts
Spectra is best, as I had said earlier, .6 mm if you can find it, is great, a nice plus is it doesnt hold water droplets coming back in the box, either...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:07 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Was looking on the web for a source for spectra, found this kite line outlet, at least you can buy in 100ft lengths instead of 100m and appears less expensive. White only.
www.goodwinds.com
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:11 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Cool site. They have some other items of interest besides the Spectra line.

I can't image .8 would be an issue. My concern is the line getting fouled under the roller on the deck blocks. That is why I have been looking for a line that fits through the hole in the box but isn't so small a diameter that it fits in between the roller and the body of that block.
I guess I can always make the hole a tad larger. If the lines and hole are well matched - no more water than normal would get through the hole.
Man, thinking this hard makes me tired.
Thank you
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 14, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Boomer, here in alabama, we have Hobby Lobby-do you have one locally ? They carry spooled line that works grrreat on my nirvana. Somewhat smaller than oem, but very flexible, various colors and plentiful, as well as cheappppp. My original lines were frayed upon arrival,also. (NOT GOOD).
capt absent is offline Find More Posts by capt absent
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:11 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Progress report -

Ok guys, here are some photos of my progress. I am still working on the graphics, and playing around with different treatments. I am not thrilled with the port hole decals, so I am trying several different approaches - I like this one, so I thought I share it with me mates. I tried adding more port holes too. This is a work in progress.

The line seen here is not as flexible as I'd like but it is the right diameter. I have modified the sheet tension controls to include bowsies, added SS nylon coated 30 lb test lead and SS rigging screws to the shrouds and to the backstay - I used the hooks that came with the boat to attach the leader to the top of the mast. Don't think they look too bad. I am ordering some SS ball bearing swivels and will probably add those when they arrive. (Chidago has them on his boat )

Because Dennis installed his custom Walrus sails on the Super Nirvana, that gave him more access to the mast, so he made wire loops and bonded them into the mast itself to attached the shrouds. The stock sail makes that impractical.

I really like the SS leader and rigging screws both for the looks and the functionality they bring to the boat.

Currently I am running a HS 645 MG sail servo and HS 311 rudder servo, controlling them via one of my Airtronics 7 channel aircraft receivers and my RDS 8000 radio. Still using AA's for my power source on board. I had this set up in the boat a previous Nirvana, and had good success with them. Chidago as usual stepped up to the plate and installed a "Jumbotron" Futaba S3802 heavy duty sail servo and the S3000 rudder servo. He is a "Classy guy" and certainly one of my idols.

I have to run to the hardware store to get some small screws to hold the two cleats I am going install on both booms, so I can try John's simple but effective method to trim his sails.

CA - I do have a HL not to far away, and will check out their inventory - Thank you

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 16, 2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 05:16 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Progress report -

More as progress is made. Comments are invited
Thanks
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 14, 2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:20 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,442 Posts
Boomer I like the nice clean lines you get when you removed the port holes and added the "line" decal to the cabin area....she looks very nice....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 15, 2011, 07:14 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,869 Posts
You could try black stripe, to make it look like windows, or, cut square pieces to look like window..for me, just the color match stripe removes the illusion of windows, which to me, removes detail from the boat..the stripe on the rudder is good, tho.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2011, 11:18 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
Appreciate the feed back guys. I have several other ideas in the works on the "faux" port hole deal. I shared with John a while ago, that I purchased some decals and trim parts from Tower for one of their boats called Odyssey that I am messing around with to see if they can be adapted to the Nirvana. I posted a pictures of boats that incorporated "faux" windows.

The idea here is to fool the eye here - to do that takes a little imagination and experimentation. I have gloss trim tape, but need to get some flat or satin finish for the right look - I have the port holes you see on the Odyssey to try to get a more realistic look, not sure how that will look, but will give it a try.

I do like the simple blue line to accent to the hull designs a wise man once said "less is more". I was a big fan of "pin stripping" back in the day, and I felt that done right, it could really add to the looks of a great car.

I have some plans for making some hatches out of smoke Plexiglas to replace the hatch decals. I have a buddy that has the kind of saw I need to cut the Plexiglas, which would make that plan come to life. If we can we will try to cut some rectangular pieces to mimic port holes. Time will tell if that can be done, without damaging any digits.

The goal here is to improve the boat's looks, so I have to keep in mind that this is not a detailed type boat, it is more function than scale, and adding too much detail could detract rather than enhanse from the boats looks.

I love scale and detail boats and planes, and I have a tendancey to want to add detail rather than simple lines or forms. My thinking here is that simple is better than complex details on this boat. Thus the simple trim stripes.

I''ll take pictures of each experiment along the way, until I get to whatever ends up as the winner.

No comments on the rigging changes??? They work really "bitchen" as we used to say.

Boomer
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:45 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Sprinta RC

Boomer,
KoneWone recently mentioned the Sprinta RC in another thread and I had taken a look at it. Quite impressive. It has a genoa and no jib. See 3:41 in the 1st video which shows the genoa movement without any wind. I like the boat launch in the 2nd video.
The 1st image (from minisail-ev.de) shows more rigging detail and apparently something added to the faux window. The 2nd image (from the 2nd video) shows a reefed mainsail.

Sprinta RC (7 min 6 sec)

Sprinta RC (3 min 10 sec)
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old Jun 15, 2011, 04:58 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,506 Posts
JP
You have to luv the Sprinta! Thanks for sharing the videos. Somewhere on this forum I've discussed these boats. Have to do a search to find that thread. These are so stable on the water. It is very hard to tell they are not full size boats. I have all these videos saved, but luv to watch them again. Notice how fast they eccelarate after a turn.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 15, 2011 at 05:21 PM.