Bob
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2011, 01:52 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
I am guessin, it happened during his landing or landing attempt. I was wondering as well. Either way, not good

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:09 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblubaugh View Post
Was that a landing or a take off?

Bob
Guess you could say both, was during a touch and go, gusty winds caused more than one "splash". More pic's at www.skyshaker.com
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Jun 06, 2011, 07:21 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts
GREAT pics, SS..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 09:47 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
We had a few wrecks too....

Check out the end of this one...

MMBC 11/14/2010 YMCA Sail (6 min 50 sec)

...and some great video in this one of the same plane...

Montgomery Model Boat Club Sail "MMBC" (9/5/2009) (4 min 34 sec)
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 06, 2011, 10:31 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:12 AM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
379 Posts
Very enjoyable videos.

Bob
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
Old Jun 06, 2011, 11:33 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Well Done... Thanks. First one was a classic, airspeed, altitude and idea's.
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Jun 06, 2011, 02:52 PM
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Thanks , Robert. Very enjoyable classics (including Muddy Waters). Was that at the Camp Chandler here on Lake Lordan ?
capt absent is offline Find More Posts by capt absent
Old Jun 08, 2011, 11:16 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts
Guys, I wanna welcome Raul from San Francisco, Ca. and Steve from Winfield, Ma. as new Nirvana owners.

Raul and Steve, if you find your way here, you certainly will get more knowlege, help, and GREAT weekly movies than you could ever imagine.

Welcome!

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2011, 10:04 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts
Guys,
here are some parts of the article that Dennis is writing for the magazine, on His evaluation of the Nirvana...

TEST SAILING AND MODIFYING THE NIVANA
Dennis Desprois

When my friend, John, the Nirvana Class Secretary called me recently, little did I know or suspect that he would talk me into sailing a Nivana to see what I thought of the boat. As hard as I resisted, John’s enthusiasm for the boat was infectious and his suggestion that I take the boat he was sending me and to do whatever I could to make it sail faster was a challenge I couldn’t resist.

When I received the Nirvana from Steve Lang’s SAILRC , the first thing that caught my eye was where it declared on the box: READY TO SAIL IN TEN MINUTES. I thought, yeah, right. Eight minutes later, I was scratching my head wondering what it was that I had missed. In fact, getting the batteries installed in the fine DX transmitter took at least a couple of the eight minutes.

The two factors that the manufacture must consider in a boat like the Nivana that is purposely designed to get the novice sailor in the water with the least amount of fuss or muss is that it must be easy to assemble and durable. The Nivana does both but at a price. The absolute most important part of a sailboat are the sails….after all, they are the boat’s motor and are what makes the boat go forward. The Nivana sails are indeed easy to get on the two part mast and attached to the main boom but as far as being an efficient motor, they fall woefully short. First of all, the material is certainly durable however it’s so heavy that it might, only might, be okay on a boat three times the size but more importantly, there is absolutely no shape. In single panel sails, there is a positive luff curve (the front of the sail is not straight but slightly curved) to create extra material to form a camber of sorts when under load. Both of the Nivana sails are absolute triangles with no shape what so ever.
Though the keel fin is easy to slip into the hull and attach, it’s so flexible that it is like driving a car with lose lug nuts and the front end out of alignment. To be efficient, the keel fin must have an airfoil shape and be as rigid as possible. Unfortunately, to keep the boat class legal, neither of these flaws can be corrected.

That being said, I took the Nivana for a test sail straight out of the box and assembled per the manufacturer’s instructions, to see how it performed as a class legal boat. Predictably, all of the issues I had doubts about did, in fact, prove to be an issue. First and foremost, touch a drop of CA on all of the knots in the black line because they will fail sooner rather than later. The black line used for the sheets (sails in and out control lines) is so coarse that it doesn’t flow freely though the exit fairleads at the side of the hatch or those on the on the deck inhibiting the sails from going in or out freely, especially in light air. I strongly suggest that the sheet lines be replaced with Spectra or at the very least, a woven Dacron line. Just as precise….or reasonably precise sail trim (in and out) is critical, so is where the sails are positioned on the mast. Where the sails are tensioned, front (tack), top (head) and aft (clew) is important because the sails have to be properly positioned to allow for even basic trimming. The grommet positions on both the jib and main should be moved forward to keep the sails from wandering to far from where they can be properly trimmed.

It’s also important to be able to easily tension the front (luff) of both the main and jib. At the top of the main, a simple halyard and bowser will work to keep the luff tight. At the top of the jib, both the jibstay and the jib can be attached to the mast or the mast crane with a simple swivel with bowsers for tightening or loosening. Each of the sails needs to have an up/down haul and an in/out haul at the clew. It’s never successful to have one adjustment that is attempting to do both of these functions.

Another major problem is that the winch isn’t’ quite being strong enough in heaver wind but its borderline satisfactory and should be sufficient in light to moderate winds. Another slight issue is the kit supplied black line is so coarse, the bowsers at the vang and elsewhere are almost impossible to slide. Replacing the black kit line should solve this.

The shroud adjustment at the top of the mast is clever and well designed so the shrouds can be hooked into the chain plates at the side of the hull and then tightened by sliding the bowser at the top of the mast however the arrangement isn’t doing much more than keeping the mast from tipping over. The shrouds themselves are good but stainless wire is a bit unruly and I prefer a woven wire for the shrouds, jibstay and the backstay. The hook in the boom and jib club sheet attachment/trim is used on several international classes but it isn’t very precise. I use a sliding rubber grommet with a ring on the spar that can be easily trimmed by simply sliding it fore or aft.

On the positive side, the fact that the stand is already made is a giant plus. The DX transmitter and receiver are a bargain, especially considering the total cost of the kit. The simple attachment for the keel fin is good as is the rigid rudder control rod insuring that the rudder functions with precision and doesn’t wobble. The carbon fiber mast is quite light and stiff which is good and the hatch cover is as good as a hatch cover is going to get.

THE NIVANA OPTOMIZED
For those of you who are “outlaws” and are willing to sail outside of the class rules and want to make your Nivana sail as well and as fast as possible, here are a couple things that you can do. First and foremost, get some decent paneled sails…the improvement in performance and speed will be huge. As I mentioned, the mast is quite good so all that’s needed are the sails and to position the shrouds on the mast so tension can be adjusted on either side.

The other basic design/production flaw is the overly flexible keel fin. One thing is for certain, in a sailboat, the fin must be stiff enough not to “wobble” when the boat is moving forward, if it does, nothing good happens. Without designing and making a completely new fin, which I foolishly gave serious consideration to doing, is to strengthen the fin from the exterior. I laminated two layers of 6 ounce fiberglass cloth, curved the leading edge to wrap around the fin. The leading edge was butterflied and held with tape and then epoxied to the fin. The trailing edge was clamped to maintain an airfoil shape. Though slightly larger the overall effect is far better than the flexing kit fin.

If you sail the Nivana straight from the kit or make modifications, be assured that the Nivana is truly a fine boat guaranteed to provide fun at the pond whether you are sailing your first boat or if you are an experienced skipper.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jun 08, 2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jun 09, 2011, 07:30 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Sounds like a good review....too bad he didn't have a stock boat to run with the modified boat and test each mod to see how much it really helped.

Looks like it's going to be continued hot/humid and no wind here this weekend....most likely I won't be going to the pond...
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:06 AM
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Crash: my neighbor, and sailing buddy , Capt Ray, was admitted to ICU last night with problems resulting from his spider bite. Evidently the blood platelet count in his system has dropped drastically. I think this has much to do with blood clotting-not sure. Certainly has been a rough couple of weeks for the guy. Hope everyone will wish him well !!!
capt absent is offline Find More Posts by capt absent
Old Jun 09, 2011, 10:33 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt absent View Post
Crash: my neighbor, and sailing buddy , Capt Ray, was admitted to ICU last night with problems resulting from his spider bite. Evidently the blood platelet count in his system has dropped drastically. I think this has much to do with blood clotting-not sure. Certainly has been a rough couple of weeks for the guy. Hope everyone will wish him well !!!

Wow...tell him to get tough and pull through...I will say a prayer....thanks for the notice....Crash
Old Jun 09, 2011, 01:33 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts
Ditto..
RCG Plus Member