cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 27, 2011, 06:18 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Ok, so you guys are tellin me that a bass is smart enough to know the difference between lead, or brass or tungsten? No wonder those buggers are so hard to catch!

If they are that smart, then they probably can tell if it's a "redneck" that's tryin to catch um or one of us "green horns" for the big city.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2011, 06:39 PM
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Remember "Sorry Charlie " ? Same with bass-real particular whose hooks they bite. I have even heard that a nirvana was attacked (not molested) in the MMBC lake. Didn't see it, but am taking Crashes version .
capt absent is offline Find More Posts by capt absent
Old May 27, 2011, 09:55 PM
Radioactive Flier
United States, IL, Plainfield
Joined Aug 2006
163 Posts
Hey guys, complete sailboat newbie here. Had multiple electrics and nitro and has in the past, but want to try my hand at sailboats. Always plenty of wind where I am disturbing my powered boats. I'm sure that will change as soon as I get a sailboat though. From everything I have read the nirvana is one of the better starting boats. I swear I saw somewhere to get one RTR for $190, but I can't find it anywhere now. Anybody know the cheapest place to get one?
Raylon is online now Find More Posts by Raylon
Old May 27, 2011, 10:14 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelatio View Post
Hey guys, complete sailboat newbie here. Had multiple electrics and nitro and has in the past, but want to try my hand at sailboats. Always plenty of wind where I am disturbing my powered boats. I'm sure that will change as soon as I get a sailboat though. From everything I have read the nirvana is one of the better starting boats. I swear I saw somewhere to get one RTR for $190, but I can't find it anywhere now. Anybody know the cheapest place to get one?
Harbor Models has them. Dave is the contact there.$190.00 +shipping

Sailrc.com is a little more but has 2.4ghz and shipping is included
Last time I checked
Boomer
Old May 27, 2011, 10:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
5,938 Posts
Harbormodels.com..guys name is Dave, great guy

I wanna know more about the molested Nirvana..anybody get pics?? did it squeal??

chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; May 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:19 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
5,938 Posts
they all have 2.4 now...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2011, 10:23 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
5,938 Posts
I think the brass or tungsten is for the people scared to touch lead..afraid they will get lead poisoning.. the only lead poisoning I know of thats fatal is a .357...
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
Radioactive Flier
Joined Aug 2006
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
they all have 2.4 now...
So at Harbor Models for $190 I will be getting the newest model with the 2.4ghz radio already included? His website says $269. I guess you have to call to get that price?
Old May 27, 2011, 10:51 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,383 Posts
I just checked Dave's website and you are right. His price has changed. I think a call to Dave is the best way to go.
The newer versions with the new 2.4 radio set ups are more money.

Boomer
Old May 27, 2011, 11:50 PM
Radioactive Flier
Joined Aug 2006
163 Posts
I will give him a call tomorrow. I am looking to do this on the cheap to see if I will even like sailboats. Would a hobbyking boat do fine? i know there may be some problems but I could get a 2.4ghz system and a boat for about $100. Or am I better off spending almost $300 for the Nirvana?

EDIT: Just read some more reviews, seems like lots of boats show up broken. I probably will go with the Nirvana...need to check my LHS to see if they stock anything.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:25 AM
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Zelatio: i am very new at sailing but will give ya my take on the nirvana-overall, i am 100 % satisfied with mine. The shipping way fast, the packaging was great, with nothing broken, instructions were quite adequate, and the vessel has been a real fun ship. I have a great tutor and gripe only about one thing---i need more stick time.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:27 AM
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Forgot to tell ya the important part-- i bought my nirvana from steve Lang. Good service.
Old May 28, 2011, 07:52 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
5,938 Posts
Guys,
In talking with Steve, there was a price increase across the board, the boat is now $269, for any of the new boats, that includes the 2.4.

I think Dave is sellin them now at $249. Dave is a good guy, been doing business with him for years, on tug boat stuff.

As far as bang for the buck, really, no better boat buy out there.

RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2011, 05:04 AM
Noob Extraordinaire
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Jan 2010
8 Posts
Going Back A Couple Of Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
The pointie thing on the front of the jib is a fishing weight? Looks the tip of a bullet on metal shaft. Any idea of the weight he used?

Boomer
Sorry to drag this back up, as you probably have your answer already, but for the sake of conversation here's my $0.02.

There really isn't a specific weight to use. Just lay the boat over a little like when you adjust the sheets and add weight to the jib boom to kinda balance it out. Most that I have seen are adjustable to account for various wind conditions and sail rigs.

But as with any mod on the Nirvana I'm pretty sure that this isn't allowed by the rules. But if you're like me with the only one in the fleet, than knock yourself out!

Happy tuning,
Dave
D Burket is offline Find More Posts by D Burket
Old May 31, 2011, 08:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,407 Posts
Thanks Dave...

I got some stick time in this weekend, but it was hot and very little wind so no real testing done. Here is a pic of a brand new Vela chasing me down. I drove the Vela and she looks and drives sweet....I hope I don't get the fever...

I'm working on a new movie and will post a link when I get er done...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash