chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 25, 2011, 09:15 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Dennis Modified Nirvana

I would like to know if the hull itself was modified? I am particularly interested if the area where the keel goes into the boat? I was concerned that if I increased the strength of the keel that it would possibly cause an issue with hull.

Thanks,
Dave
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old May 25, 2011, 10:01 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
I would like to know if the hull itself was modified? I am particularly interested if the area where the keel goes into the boat? I was concerned that if I increased the strength of the keel that it would possibly cause an issue with hull.

Thanks, Dave
Dave,
As I understand it, Dennis painted the hull, but did not made any changes to it. The keel and the rudder were physically modified. You can see the pictures of the keel modification back a few posts. John told me that Dennis shaped the top edge of the rudder to better match the curve of the hull. I asked for a picture of that modification see how it looks. I have had to that to a few of my sailboats, so the rudders wouldn't touch the hull as they turned, not for any perfermance reasons.

I can't image that there could be an issue with the hull's strength issue as a result of strengthening the keel.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old May 26, 2011, 06:56 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Dave,
I can't image that there could be an issue with the hull's strength issue as a result of strengthening the keel.

Boomer
I can tell you this....we had a member forget he left his boat on the grass behind his jeep and he acually rolled completely over it with the rear wheel. I don't know if it was upside down or on it's side when that happened but the boat had some minor cracks easily fixed and is back at the pond. I don't think the hull is weak...

Glad we are back on topic guys...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old May 26, 2011, 07:00 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,069 Posts
Dave,
There has been no mod to the hull itself. the rigidity of the keel was the only issue, and he added the fiberglass shell you can see in the pics to correct that, wont add any undue stress to the hull. the shell should be available to people who want it soon, I think.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; May 26, 2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 09:41 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Less strain with the new keel -

Dave
I was thinking about your questions and concluded that by stiffening the keel, the hull would actually be under less strain. The more flexible keel would put more torque on the keel box than the newly reinforced version. Chidago is the engineer, and he'd have some math that'd confirm this, but using my time tested "SWAG" method, that is my take on it.

That's my story and I am stickin' to it.

Boomer
Old May 26, 2011, 09:43 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,069 Posts
Rick, I think I said that in less words..
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 09:50 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Rick, I think I said that in less words..
"Dave,
There has been no mod to the hull itself. the rigidity of the keel was the only issue, and he added the fiberglass shell you can see in the pics to correct that, wont add any undue stress to the hull. the shell should be available to people who want it soon, I think. Chidago"

Sort of, but I included the logic, my method and root of my conclusions, thus providing Dave with a high degree of conifidence in my response. It is my way, I am just a giver. Modest too.
Boomer
Old May 26, 2011, 10:25 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Thank You for all your inputs. Looks like I will be stiffing up the keel. I have done some reading about how the keel works while tacking. Dennis's comments about excessive rudder use while tacking due to the keel flexing hit home. Along with my personal experiences of tacking against stronger winds, I am convinced that stiffing the keel will be a very worthwhile mod to do for those of us that do not compete at races. I have a lot on my plate at the moment but will get this done next winter if not sooner. Dave

Chidago sending you a P.M.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old May 26, 2011, 10:39 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Just get ya a spare keel and mod it...then you can use it to play with...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old May 26, 2011, 11:20 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
John
Can we get the particulars on the keel modification? What weight matting was used? Was their any unusual prep beyond sanding and cleaning the surface? Which epoxy 15 min, 30 min. ?

I don't see myself customizing the ballast pod, but stiffening the keel and cleaning up the top edge of the rudder, hey that's a no brainer. I am on it like a hungry hound dog!

Still studying the pictures of the mods to the rigging. Any one have a good sourse for the jib boom weight? And which one should to use, or are they pretty much the same??

Thank you
Boomer
Old May 26, 2011, 01:17 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,069 Posts
I dunno, but, I'll find out..just put Vito on it now..
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 02:37 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,069 Posts
Update on the keel deal..ooh, a rhyme I made..

I talked with Dennis on it, as soon as he has time, he will make a master mold for the 2 piece sheath, and will figure out what they would cost, he knows the boat wont sustain a high cost item, nor, is he lookin to do a keel business.

He is working on his piece for the mag, his evaluation of the boat in stock trim.

So, when the mold is done, we will have the parts for those who want them, and designed by someone who knows what keels are supposed to be, not just adding 2 pieces to make it rigid. its a VERY nice piece, if you were not aware of the stock keel, NEVER could tell, and its smooth, not a rough surface like the stocker.

And as Crash said, get a new keel, mod it for playin, keep the original for rule racing..
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 03:53 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,069 Posts
Front jib weight. piano wire with some fishing sinker stuff..highly technical desription, huh? THAT would make my old prof. proud, I'm sure, but, thats quote from Dennis...

RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2011, 08:20 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
A little off topic but I think it's great. I just posted this on a multihull build thread and then thought that EVERYBODY here might enjoy it. An upbeat sailing video with multihulls and other watercraft.
Jack

Everybody (3 min 43 sec)
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters