View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 27, 2011, 09:00 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Thanks Crash, appreciate the thought/idea. Searched the web and RCGroups, the Springer seems like it is pretty versatile yet simple. Today I am more into assembly rather than building. Not into much currently.
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:16 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
SS,
Tugs are a great way to retrieve the lost and wandering. I also rebuilt a tug I got at a swap meet, bought it for $15, put much more motor in it, for the pulling power, even had to notch the rudder to allow for the oversize prop, uses a 12v sla batt. 45 min run time.

I also use it to set, and retrieve the buoys we use. they are self unrolling, when dropped off, they unroll till the lead weight finds bottom, then it swivels and locks the line so the marker doesnt drift, the bottom white chamber fills with water to keep it upright. GREAT design. but, you have to hook em to drag them back,(the zip tie) the little tug needed the power to pull the weight out of the mud. so the vinyl coated attachment to the boat carries the buoys out, drops them, and the arms are long enough to grab keels on the blow boats, and prong the noses on the mono hulls. they attach at the back of the boat, so that the weight its pulling or carrying, is distributed over the tugs length. plus it carries the camera

watch for your local R/C swap meets, ask at the local hobby shop, much stuff is out there if you are lookin..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Rick,
nizza Darby pics. thats the standard of the tugs, pretty much. Thats how I came to know Dave at harbor models. many years ago, I bought a Pono tug from him, to use in pulling, its amazing how those kort nozzles, REAL motors, and 2, 4 1/2 inch props can pull..lol !. this boat pulled a 16 ft aluminum rowboat around my lake with 3 fat asses in it

long gone now, weighed 55 lbs, with batt.. was fun tho..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 10:28 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Chidago looks like a nice simple setup. We had a RC A/C swap meet a couple weeks ago, thought maybe a boat or two would show up. Nada. And our only hobby shop is all but gone, sometimes open after five and a couple of hours on the weekend. Think he had a used tug, but getting in is the problem and if/how much he might want. Thanks for the idea.
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Mar 28, 2011, 11:24 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
I like that bouy...but it would kill a hydro... I had a piece of broomstick inside a pool noodle and it killed one of my boats after a direct hit at 50mph. Now I use the noodle without the hard wood core...it ain't as pretty but can/has been a lot nicer to the fast boats. I use counter balancing 4oz/2oz fishing weights, attached to the bottom of the noodle, via 17 lb fishing line, sliding through a snap swivel, on a 1/8" dowel, to self adjust for depths. See pic below. I drag and release into position with the tug and snag and drag back to shore when done. I have videos available if requested... It takes a strong tug to pull the weights back to shore...especially if they hang up on debris on the bottom. I once brought back an old bat kite that someone lost in the pond...string and all. I also used my tug to push (sideways) a half sunk full size paddleboat to shore. It's amazing what these toys can do....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Mar 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:29 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Robert,
i like the noodle idea..i too have pronged a few cats onto buoys, it was ugly..i will use the noodle for our club fast races...good idea !!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Crash, shoot me that video when you get a chance, I'm likin that noodle thing, plus, noodles and italians are synonymous, anyway..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2011, 07:03 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
I'm not sure what exactly your looking to see, but here are some pics of my well used buoys and a video of one of our club sails with a little of everything from sheet boats to hydro action. You can get an idea of how the buoys look in the water. I have on board videos buoy of setting/retrieval and sailboat rescues as well. Let me know what you want to see.

Montgomery Model Boat Club Sail "MMBC" (8/22/2009) (4 min 13 sec)
Old Mar 29, 2011, 08:29 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Thank you, Crash, I appreciate it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 30, 2011, 08:26 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Anyway, i still think its looks better with the hemi in it...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2011, 06:46 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Anyway, i still think its looks better with the hemi in it...
I'll see your "hemi" and raise you one "Merlin"...
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:53 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
LOL...good pics crash
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:09 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Very cool! The guys that drove these back in the day, must have had brass lower units!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:51 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Guys,
Some new info for anyone considering the Nirvana, the new
shipment of Nirvana's is about 5 days away, and as with everything else, the price is gonna go up. at the SAILrc website, which is Steve Lang, the boats have already went to $209.00 We all are budget minded, thats why I kid about it, but, the Nirvana is the best bang for the buck out there, most of the $350 to $400 buck RTR boats out there cannot compare in quality, performace, or durability. thats why nirvana is the largest growing class, by the way, cause its the deal...

The good news is that Dave, at Harbor models, at the top of this page, has agreed to hold to his advertised price until any further increases come to him.

I do hope this class grows, as the boat IS a class act, I am a power boater, period. but, this blow boat works for me, I have had, and tried many, but, this one is my favorite, ya dont see me posting in the seawind thread..

I like the radio box without water, the size, big enough for good wind, small enough to fit in just about any car.

I'm soapboxing here, but, I'm sooo ing sick of trying to get service or parts on stuff, " please call 1-800-chop suey " and your parts that aint gonna fit come 6 weeks later.

thats the best quality on this boat, all the support and parts are here. in the US.

And nobody will spend more time, or be more helpful than Steve Lang, as most guys here can attest to.

Steve is also the sole distributor of this boat. So, his interest in the boat's continued success is without question. enough of my babbling.. just 1 more thing, tho,

I also am proud to see the addition of the exotic MERLIN engine option, along with the hemi, currently available. such flexability, this boat has !
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Mar 31, 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:04 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
After reading Chidago's comments, I feel smarter knowing I own a Nirvana!
Finally, something I bought is going up in value!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1