RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:09 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
John
With a wife with the advanced spending skills mine has, I have to be budget minded.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:53 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Anyone using other sail servos? Which ones?
How many of you have had problems with the factory servo?
How many of you have had problems with the replacement servos?
What were the problems?
Did you have to modify or adapt the servo arm to make it fit?
I started out with an old Nirvana, sail servo locked up, no rudder servo. After measuring, I purchased the following two servos from HobbyKing. These servos do not follow racing rules, that is not my cup of tea. I wanted to use a standard 4 cell battery pack that fits without modification so I looked for powerful servos on 4 cells. I grafted the sail servo arm onto the stock servo arm with screws and epoxy.

Sail servo

BMS-630MG

Rudder servo

BMS-621MG

I have had no issues except for the fact that despite the claim that they are waterproof. I found out that they are not the hard way. They dried out and were fine. I am using a product call liquid electrical tape on both servos having no issues since. Both servos work very well. The sail servo will pull in the sails with ease downwind up wind it doesn't matter. I am using high quality sheet lines, smoothed out the flow of the sheet lines to ease the load on the sail servo. I do not have a typical servo arrangement, clearance is tight. I posted a picture at the following link.

old type electric box
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Mar 24, 2011, 01:06 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Wow, that servo has some torque @181 oz-in on 4.8v. It seems very fast for a sail servo. But it sounds like it is working well for you. At $16.25 and shipping @ $3.79 that sounds interesting.
Thank you
Boomer

Specs on the HobbyKing BMS-630MG metal gear servo Phoenx has shared with us:

BMS-630MG Super Strong Servo 13kg / .17sec / 49g
The servo comes with a servo accessory package and is made with a heavy duty servo case, the servo is designed for R/C high performance Car applications. Double ball bearing with flexible rubber waterproof.
The output spline is the same as the Futaba 25 tooth.
This servo comes with JR/Hitec S Connector also known as a "Universal Connector". Even thought this servo comes with JR/Hitec S Connectors, this servo is electrically compatible with Futaba receivers.
1. Metal gear
2. curve gear with smooth.
3. Double M9.6 ball bearing (si-oil)
4. 3 pole strong torque of motor with low signal affect and success get CE certification.
5. Rubber fitting case for waterproof
6. Same with Futaba 25 tooth spline
7. Heavy duty servo case

Weight: 49 grams / 1.73 oz.
Dimensions: 40.5 x 20 x 42 mm / 1.60 x 0.78 x 1.62 inch
Torque At 4.8V: 13.0kg-cm , 181 oz-in
Torque At 6.0V: 14.6kg-cm , 195 oz
Speed At 4.8V: 0.17 sec / 60 at no load
Speed At 6.0V: 0.15 sec / 60 at no load
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 24, 2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
I sure, by golly, gotta git one of them servos that got "curve gears with smooth" thats be's the cats behind!
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:20 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that servo has some torque @181 oz-in on 4.8v. It seems very fast for a sail servo. But it sounds like it is working well for you.
The speed of the servo is in relation to how fast you move the stick on your controller. There is no need for a slow moving sail servo. I have two years of sailing with these two Bluebirds servos.

Shortly after we first got the Nirvana's (my first boat), we tried sailing in some high wind conditions to see how well the boats could handle higher winds. My electronics compartment got swamped with water filling half way. I did not realize this had happened though. We got the boats ready to go out a second or third time but my rudder servo was acting funny. I thought perhaps the battery needed charged so I charged it up for 30 minutes. Something did not seem right with the charge, the rudder didn't work right so I took things apart pulling the foam out of the electronics bay when I discovered the water which now was hot from shorting out the battery. Both servos had water in them. I had quite a mess to clean up. I water proofed everything and now check for water and dry out the battery bay whenever I pull the Nirvana out of the water. The servos survived but the Spektrum rx and battery did not, both had to be replaced. I learned quite a bit that day.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:39 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
I always open my boat up after every sail (with every kind of boat) and make sure it dries out...even if it didn't get water inside. I also take all servos apart (remove the bolts and bottom plate) and seal with silicone and reassemble...before using for the 1st time. I do this in all my boats before they go in the water. I've never had a failure due to water nor had any corrosion in my electrics....this is just a good thing to get in the habit of doing.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Mar 25, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 01:36 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
I always open my boat up after every sail (with every kind of boat) and make sure it dries out...even if it didn't get water inside. I also take all servos apart (remove the bolts and bottom plate) and seal with silicone and reassemble...before using for the 1st time. I do this in all my boats before they go in the water. I've never had a failure due to water nor had any corrosion in my electrics....this is just a good thing to get in the habit of doing.
Crash is as always spot on! I have too made it a habit of removing the hatches on my boats, if nothing else to make sure there is not water inside.
I leave them off, to let any condensation that might be inside the hull evaporate. A can of compressed air is a good thing to have with you on
any outing. It can save the day, if the unthinkable happens.

I am hoping my newest Nirvana is as water tight as the last two were! I will take all the extra steps that have been so well documented in this terrific thread to insure it is. I for one want to thank Crash for starting it, and for all the great tips he and other forum members have contributed! Thanks Crash.

I went back to your first post and started a review of the posts to refresh my old brain on some of the great suggestions put forward, as I set up my newest Nirvana. Didn't want to miss anything.

I started on it last night by removing all the Megatech advertising decals and began adding my own trim touches. Pretty much the same as I did to my last boats. I'd liked how they looked, so I am sticking with that design. I do have a few things more I have planned for this boat, than I didn't do to the last one. Not radical stuff, just little details that make the boat a little unique and to my sense of taste.

My new servos should be here early next week perhaps even Saturday, so once they arrive, I can finish the electronics set up. I am going install one of my extra Airtronics receivers in the boat so I can use my Airtronics RDS 8000 2.4 radio. I like having a full featured radio, so I can set up some rudder and sail exponentials for different wind conditions.

I know Chidago is a Futaba guy, and during many of our conversations, puts pressure on me to buy a Futaba, which he tells me, will make me happy for the rest of my life. For now, I got started with this radio early on, I like it, understand how to use it and have a bunch of extra receivers, so I am kind of stuck. Plus I just picked up new extended duty battery for it. Since I am flying now I figureed it would be a good idea. I am open to gifts, and am not proud!

Be well gents.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 25, 2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 11:25 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,822 Posts
New news, my friend Dave at harbor models .com has his first shipment of Nivanas in stock, and is looking to agressively sell them. you couldnt find a more reputable dealer, thats why he is the ONLY factory authorized dealer beside Steve Lang. and I believe his intro pricing is at $ 190 plus shipping.

anybody lookin, give him a call, now is the time.
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2011, 08:26 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
For us budget minded, SailRc.com, Steve Lang still has the Nirvana II inventory clearance going on, $169 plus shipping for the Megatech version., I got mine for about $182 delivered to my door. The no electronics's version for $126 plus shipping.
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Last edited by Skyshaker; Mar 26, 2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:18 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
SS
I got the "with out" electronics version from Steve. Dave has a very good product offering and a wonderful inventory of parts. He is the Tug boat king out here. He has been the Mr. Darby dealer for as long as I can remember .

Check out his web site - well worth the time.

Boomer
Old Mar 26, 2011, 10:33 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
SS
I got the "with out" electronics version from Steve. Dave has a very good product offering and a wonderful inventory of parts. He is the Tug boat king out here. He has been the Mr. Darby dealer for as long as I can remember .

Check out his web site - well worth the time.

Boomer
Thanks Boomer, I'm still waiting for winds to die or more sheltered sailing area. We've only had one day in the last month (it seems) with winds under 15 - 20 according to the weather service.

Had thought about a tug as a rescue boat, more than I can afford at this time, thanks to the IRS. Sort of interested in the vacu-formed kits I had found.
SS
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:44 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
SS
What vac formed boats are you looking at? Micro Magic? Just curioius.

One of my best friends made a Mr.Darby that is the best I've seen. The perfect rescue boat with a fully operational crane.

It is too big for my hobby shop, but sure is fun to operate it. Here are a few pictures of Pete's Mr.D and one of my rescue boat.

Boomer
Old Mar 26, 2011, 05:16 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Boomer my initial thought was one of the Vac-u-boat.com pushers, nothing realistic or fancy, just inexpensive rescue. Also considered maybe a home built unit with the same capture idea Crash pictured on his rescue Tug, the floating booms. I immediately got lost in the parts, design and control phases. Newbie, remember?

For now I'll just drag my 12 foot Jon boat with it's 40 lb electric "ski" motor out to the lake.
SS
Old Mar 27, 2011, 05:06 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
SS...if want a nice tug at a good price and want to learn all about building ....the Springer is a great place to start. There is a very good thread in the "Dock Talk" forum (sticky at the top). if I didn't already have a rescue tug I would do that rather than spend that money building a vac-u-boat. The tug itself is very easy to build and allows for creativity at the same time...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash