cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 08, 2011, 06:56 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
thank you, Boomer, for your support with this issue, I appreciate it..
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:56 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
thank you, Boomer, for your support with this issue, I appreciate it..
LOL Hey how about a Lycoming Turbine, by product could be direct the exhaust toward the main sail
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Mar 09, 2011, 03:30 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
SS
Outstanding thinking - outside the box kind of stuff! I am sure Chidago (John)
has the tools and engineering skills to make that happen.

We were going with the more traditional "Detroit Iron" approach. Turbine power is state of the art! Might fit better too! We could loose the prop as well.

This is the kind of thing that could lead to total class domination!

Boomer
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:07 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
I'm liking the turbine..But, as far as the Lycoming goes, I couldnt get one outta Nam when I came home, they said I couldnt take any toys with.. But, as my background is in mechanical engineering, and with Chrysler corp, maybe the fellow Italians in Detroit can help me lay my hands on the engine out of this car, a '63 Chrysler turbine, which would work nicely..

Seriously, tho, 500 of these cars were made, given out to the general public for a one year period to drive as the everyday driver, to see if the concept would work as a viable alternative to gas power..the cars were given out by random selection. after the year period, the cars were SUPPOSED to be all returned to Chrysler, and be destroyed, except for the few the were alloted to the auto museums. A few, no one knows how many, escaped the crusher, about, 10, I believe, have seen 5, 2 in museums, 1 in a collection, ( Leno's ) 2 at Chrysler headquarters. hear there are still 5 out there..

So, if someone grabs one of the missin 5, I GOT MY ENGINE!!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Mar 09, 2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:44 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
John I remember the Chrysler car, think I saw one in San Francisco once. Guess maintenance per mile driven was too high. I was thinking along the lines of the Lycoming 250C used in the Bell Jet Ranger, engine, grearbox, etc., about 250 lbs, up to 400 shaft HP. I saw someone was putting them, runout, not airworthy, in motorcycles, think Leno has one. Anyway, fun to chat about.

As far as your experimenting with keel length, bulb shape have you considered mounting the bulb aft on the keel, nose even with the leading edge? That might kick the bow upward... Sort of the way we adjusted Center of Gravity balance on a helo?

Enjoyed
SS
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:52 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
SS,
actually, no, as the designer, John Elmaleh of the Nirvana truly knows what he is doing, he has designed many real, and r/c sailboats. the Nivana out of the box is a great piece. he designed the boat, and turned it over to megatech for production, megatech is also a american company, tho the boat is produced in chop suey land, they produce about 25,000 boats a year, they say. punchline its a great working boat. I just like messing with stuff.

I would like to have someone who actually knew what they were doing to work with it, to really see whats possible to make it better. and I have been told dont screw around with any REAL design parameters, or, I'l screw it up good..

Anyway, SS start doing stuff to yours, no time like now time..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Mar 11, 2011 at 02:33 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:00 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
SS,
actually, no, as the designer, John Elmaleh of the Nirvana truly knows what he is doing, he has designed many real, and r/c sailboats. the Nivana out of the box is a great piece. he designed the boat, and turned it over to megatech for production, megatech is also a american company, tho the boat is produced in chop suey land, they produce about 25,000 boats a year, they say. punchline its a great working boat. I just like messing with stuff.

I would like to have someone who actually knew what they were doing to work with it, to really see whats possible to make it better. and I have been told dont screw around with any REAL design parameters, or, I'l screw it
up good..

Anyway, SS start doing stuff to yours, no time like now time..
I feel like someone that has been lead down the isle thinking it was a wedding of BS idea's, sounds like now it is a celebration of a circumcision with the change in thoughts.

As a admitted newbie I don't agree as to it being perfect, the "snow plowing" kills speed and performance. In the years I have been observing and taking photo's of sailing, I haven't observed that effect.

I'm out of here, enjoy the boat as is. I will.
SS
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:15 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
thatta boy!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2011, 11:45 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshaker View Post
I feel like someone that has been lead down the isle thinking it was a wedding of BS idea's, sounds like now it is a celebration of a circumcision with the change in thoughts.

As a admitted newbie I don't agree as to it being perfect, the "snow plowing" kills speed and performance. In the years I have been observing and taking photo's of sailing, I haven't observed that effect.

I'm out of here, enjoy the boat as is. I will.
SS
SS
Sorry, but I don't understand your message. Who got married to "BS", and after the wedding there was a celebration of a "circumcision".?

Huh, what?

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:53 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Newbie Sailing Question

My son got his unit out yesterday evening at the local Dallas Community College. Said he and G-son enjoyed their first outing learning and relaxing. He [we] has one question, when running downwind the wind forces the servo to allow the sails to travel full outward. Is this normal or should he be able to close haul them in some?

Wind less than 10 kts

Thanks
SS
Last edited by Skyshaker; Mar 12, 2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: added info
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
Check your batteries

SS
The sail servo should be able to pull in the sails - Often, when this happens, the batteries are to weak to provide the voltage required to properly power the servo. The sail servo takes more power than the rudder servo, and will detect low voltage before the rudder servo will.

If you have a volt meter, check the batteries to make sure they are at their rated voltage. I am assuming you are running 4 AA 1.5v batteries.

If that is not the issue, you may have a failing servo, or a servo with less torque/power to properly operate the sails. What sail servo is in the boat?

Check the sheets or the lines that operate the sails to be sure they are not binding in way, and are all in the proper guides. Check the manual for the proper sail alignment settings to be sure everything is as the instructions suggest.

Improper set up could contribute to this issue. Not sure how you determined the wind speed, but suggest that these boats like winds of 3 to 8 mph, especially with new sailors. They can be sailed in higher winds, but generally speaking, require skilled hands to make the experience fun.

Most folks tend to over estimate wind speeds, and without meaning to estimate much higher wind speeds than the actual conditions. I use an anemometer for this reason, and suggest to anyone reading this post, that sailing in 10 mph let alone 10 knots, is a hand full.

I have had no issues with either of the Nirvana's I've owned not being able to pull in the sails under any conditions I sailed them in. There are a number of viable comments further back in this thread that could be of interest to you on servo issues.

Hope you are able to figure out the source of the problem.

Boomer

The go to guy for help, is Steve @ Sail RC phone #615-773-2920
http://sailrcnirvana.com

Steve is more or less the "godfather" of the Nirvana set.
He can get this sorted out for you and if you need a better servo, he'll have it at a fair price.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 10:53 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Thanks Boomer, a very helpful response.

Servo is the stock Hitec HS645MG. This unit is one of two brand new one I bought from Steve. Guess the first thing to check will be the servo batteries, although they were new out of the package. They are Rayovac 1.5V.

The "guesstimate" on the wind speed was a "less than", although there were gust up to the estimated 10 kts [11.5 mph]. You can see in the picture the small wind waves and sail fullness. Not ready to invest in a anemometer [?].

After rigging, the sails had the approx 1" freedom from center.

We'll check the routing of the sheets and verify the assembly with the instructions.

Is there anyway to check servo strength? Can you slowly turn the sail arm by hand? Or does that damage it?

Guess after verifying all this I'll contact Steve.

Much appreciated
SS
Old Mar 12, 2011, 01:00 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,823 Posts
SS, dont know what you are using for a battery pack, but, servos are rated at different voltages, as far as available torque. a 6V (4 aa alk., or a 5 cell nicad or nimh pack ) give you the max..
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:55 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
SS, dont know what you are using for a battery pack, but, servos are rated at different voltages, as far as available torque. a 6V (4 aa alk., or a 5 cell nicad or nimh pack ) give you the max..
Thanks Chidago, I'm using the standard four AA 1.5v alkaline battery pack. Specs on the servo rated it at 165oz-in at 4.8v. That should pull even a Dodge Hemi across the deck.

Oh and for my previous statement concerning the sail servo, it is a Megatech FX220MG I don't think it has springs, not the original Nirvana Hitec MG645MG with springs. It was Steve Langs suggestion I remove the springs.

I'm still leaning toward low battery as the cause. Replacement servo is $35 bucks!

Thanks ALL
SS
Old Mar 12, 2011, 04:58 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,490 Posts
SS
If the servo is defective, and the boat is new, I suspect he'd (Steve) replace it for you. He is a very reasonable fellow.
Boomer