closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:32 PM
Evansville, IN
Joined Jul 2002
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
In keeping with our policy of an occasional rabbit trail, I wanted to share my newest toy - I have been wanted to learn to fly Heli's and found a deal on line on tiny little starter "toy" and the price was so cheap, I had to get it. Came complete with radio and built in rx and charger.
It actually flys quite well for the price $14.00 total! I just saw the same one at Hobby People on sale for $33.95 plus shipping and tax. So hey, such a deal!

It's fun, can fly it in the house, carefully, better out side. I think I have the bug now So may be it wasn't such a good deal

Boomer
Starts out small, then you just need one a little bigger to handle more wind, then a second one while the first one is waiting on parts from the crash and then BOOM, you have 6 or 7 different sizes of them sitting on the workbench and hanging from the walls. They just keep getting bigger and bigger and the costs increase exponentially. Just HAVE TO HAVE all that carbon stuff, digital servos, Canomod canopies, etc..

Crashed a Raptor 50 a few years back (maybe 10 or so) and counting the destroyed motor, servos, radio gear and heli, came up to around $975 for one crash. Just a tipover was coming in at around $175 per.

That's why I sold out all of my stuff, got a sailboat and just relax now. Do a few park flyer planes sometimes, a quadcopter ($40) and work on my model train layout.

Worst part, heli's are so addictive. Once you're into them it is almost impossible to get away.
11290 is offline Find More Posts by 11290
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:48 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
If you have one of the 6 or 9 channel Flysky protocol transmitters (HobbyKing or Turnigy) then this 4ch single blade fixed pitch is the best helicopter bargain at US$24 delivered (see the WLToys v911 forums). The brick is an excellent basis for a indoor or parkflyer plane too. See the Quads too.

On Topic, my Blue Bird BMS-630MG and cheapo Tower Pro MG946R servos came from HK this morning so I will be able to get my new Nirvanai up and running this weekend and report on comparative merits of these sail servos.
I am a little confused. What's the difference between the $24 heli vs. the other $19.99 heli's? One has old style connector? Other than the graphics they appear to my untrained eyes to be the same??? I have an Airtronics RDS 8000 that can handle any aircraft and Heli's so I should be good there, so long as my receiver will fit in the heli. Any info would be helpful.

As far as getting hooked, been there done that. I am into boats - sailboats primarily - have had my share of FE's and have some airplanes, but sailing is more fun and certainly you get more bang for your bucks and if you crash you don't take your toy home in a bag!
I like these little guys-they are cheap - look nice and are fun. They crash - no biggy at these prices.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
890 Posts
The $24 package includes the propriety battery and charger. These are available with a transmitter and spares to but for those of us who use the cheap Flysky transmitters for our yachts that is a BnF cheap option that gives more programming flexibility and range.
The yellow one (also unpainted white and black) is another clone from JiuChon, more stable flyer with better bits and has the 'old style' batteries. Will take the spares from the WLToys version, but it is advisable to buy two so you can use one for parts! Available from HK, Amazon, TMart and many other US vendors too but at higher price and not always BnF option.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1548027
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:03 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Thank you. Got it.
Boomer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:08 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11290 View Post
Starts out small, then you just need one a little bigger to handle more wind, then a second one while the first one is waiting on parts from the crash and then BOOM, you have 6 or 7 different sizes of them sitting on the workbench and hanging from the walls. They just keep getting bigger and bigger and the costs increase exponentially. Just HAVE TO HAVE all that carbon stuff, digital servos, Canomod canopies, etc..

Crashed a Raptor 50 a few years back (maybe 10 or so) and counting the destroyed motor, servos, radio gear and heli, came up to around $975 for one crash. Just a tipover was coming in at around $175 per.

That's why I sold out all of my stuff, got a sailboat and just relax now. Do a few park flyer planes sometimes, a quadcopter ($40) and work on my model train layout.

Worst part, heli's are so addictive. Once you're into them it is almost impossible to get away.

+1!

I'm on the 11th of the twelth step though!

Then boats, phreakin' boats!

6 weeks ago I get a Nirvana II. I mod it to a 2.4 ghz (took twenty minutes).

Then the Gemini Cat I've had my eyes on forever. Took HOURS to mod and still ain't finished (Thanx Boomer for the hatch cover idea)

(Caution, runnin' down the rabbit hole) Then I'm on Craigslist and I buy an nearly RTR Dumas Big Swamp Buggy!

It came with a vintage OS .61 Max nitro motor and muffler (what the heck am I gonna do with THAT, Fleabay?) but I'm an electric guy!

The hull does NOT look like the piccy below and I'm going to need lessons on how to make it purdy. It's been painted but not laquered. I need to redo both. I'm converting it to electric with THIS and THIS!

All the best!

b

EDIT: I just found THIS informative article on how to do the hull without teaching myself the difficult-and-little-known-art of mixing and spraying!
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Jan 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:33 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Thought I'd get back on track with a couple of my favorite Nirvana photos provided by one of our members - taken on Lake Huron if memory serves me. Perhaps the guy that named our boats Nirvana was thinking of a scene like this?

Nice to see this kind of a picture at this time of the year! Enjoy~
Boomer
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:00 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
How about this for a high torque servo!

My buddy over in Spain just posted this information and I thought you high torque fans would get a "woody" when you read the spec's on this baby! Man this thing could pull in the sails on anything! 290 oz/in @ 6Volts! Hold on to your sticks fellas this servo has some HP!

Posted by Martin Richards -
http://www.rcmart.com/sanwa-ers962-t...o-p-36087.html Looks ideal (apart from price) for larger models. The torque rating would, I calculate, still be over 20 kg/cm (about 290 oz/inch - 195 Newton/cm) at 6.0 V. Waterproof as well and weighing only 62 gms (2 oz approx.)

Torque at 7.4v: 25.3kg・cm
Speed at 7.4v: 0.11sec/60
Weight: 62g
Dimensions: 40.3 x 20.2 x 35.9mm
Bushing/Ball Bearing: Dual Ball Bearing
Motor Type: Coreless
Gear Train: Titanium
Waterproof: Yes
Connector Type: 'Z' Connector
Aluminum Anodized Heat-Sink
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:26 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Thought I'd get back on track with a couple of my favorite Nirvana photos provided by one of our members - taken on Lake Huron if memory serves me. Perhaps the guy that named our boats Nirvana was thinking of a scene like this?

Boomer
Quote:
My buddy over in Spain just posted this information and I thought you high torque fans would get a "woody" when you read the spec's on this baby! Man this thing could pull in the sails on anything! 290 oz/in @ 6Volts! Hold on to your sticks fellas this servo has some HP!

http://www.rcmart.com/sanwa-ers962-t...o-p-36087.html Looks ideal (apart from price) for larger models. The torque rating would, I calculate, still be over 20 kg/cm (about 290 oz/inch - 195 Newton/cm) at 6.0 V. Waterproof as well and weighing only 62 gms (2 oz approx.)

Lovely photos!

It's almost what every evening in Florida looks like!

Re: Servo! That's a NICE solution! Looks like Fleabay is the only vendor for around 100 bux!

b
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:12 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:

That will certainly twist the hull around the mast!
(One way to turn in a stiff wind.)
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Feb 02, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:16 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:

Boomer
Nice pics for sure.

I took some like that on Lake Ontario about 10 PM in the moonlight one night last summer, but they didn't turn out too well, not enough light for my camera phone, and I didn't have my good camera with me.
Too bad it was a full moon too, and it came up just about where the sun is on your pics. Had my navigation lights on so I could see which way she pointed.
It was a warm summer evening with a light breeze and flat water.

Sigh... come on April!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:26 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Just picked up a HS 5055MG Hitec mini servo today for the rudder on my footy.
I already have a HS 645MG in my possesion for the sail.
Used to be my Nirvana sail servo, lots of muscle for a footy

I'll post some more pics of that little project soon.
Another trail.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:34 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Just picked up a HS 5055MG Hitec mini servo today for the rudder on my footy.
I already have a HS 645MG in my possesion for the sail.
Used to be my Nirvana sail servo, lots of muscle for a footy

I'll post some more pics of that little project soon.
Another trail.
Hiya Lilleyen,

I'm a huge fan of trails as it keeps threads alive!

It'd be great to see those piccys!

Speakin' of trails.....

b
Last edited by rikybob; Feb 01, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:18 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,176 Posts
Red Nirvana on a sunny day!

70F here in sunny Florida and a little back on track sailin' on "Lake Beauclair"!

b
Last edited by rikybob; Feb 01, 2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:52 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Those are some fine photos!
Boomer
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:04 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
Just checked the AMYA site and the 2013 Nirvana regatta is listed as a Green regatta. This is good news, everyone is and has been welcome to come play in the mountains, and now if you are an AMYA member and finish in the top 3, you can get the chevrons. We should have updated information on our site by Monday, and the entry form should be part of that new info.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE