Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:51 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Don't be afraid of used boats, I have 4 now and no problems, actually, sometimes used can be better as the previous owner may have upgraded the electronics and addressed known issues with a particular part of the boat. Good luck with your endevour and I know your will enjoy your Nirvanas once you get going.

Great observation!

My experience has been with used helis, there are a myriad of things to fail that you can't see with the naked eye!

ARF boats tend to be a tried and true process!

Not a whole lot of things to go broke that aren't screamingly obvious!

All the best!

b
rikybob is offline Find More Posts by rikybob
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
First Sailboat

I am an airplane guy but I'm buying my first sailboat tomorrow. It's a used Nirvana. Looking for basic setup and how to sail tips. Thanks.
Sgt Markov is offline Find More Posts by Sgt Markov
Old Jan 19, 2013, 11:02 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Markov View Post
I am an airplane guy but I'm buying my first sailboat tomorrow. It's a used Nirvana. Looking for basic setup and how to sail tips. Thanks.
Welcome! Are you getting an owner's manual with your boat. If not we can provide one for you which you can download. All the basic information to get you started can be found within the manual.
Once you have read that manual - about a 5 to 10 minutes - you will have a decent sense of how to get the boat set up and ready to sail.
Let us know if you need a manual - There are a number of common sense things to remember but read the book then ask some more questions.

Did the boat come with a radio if so, which one? That is a starting point. Earlier RC sailboats including Nirvana's we sold with 27mhz radios that are susceptible to interference by other devises that transmit on the same frequency. Knowing that is important as it is possible to sailing your boat and lose control of it when some dolt microwaves a burrito near by. Stranger things have happened.
The newer boats come with 2.4ghz radios that don't have this kind of susceptibility. Good to know. Since you are an airplane guy you probably are in touch with these issues.
It's worth understanding those older style radios and their limitations. Always use fresh batteries, always check for water leaks prior to sending your boat out to the deep water. Always have a recovery plan - you need to have some way to retrieve your boat if the wind stops, or you get stuck on submerged water plants growing in the pond or lake. There are so many ways, even a good fishing pole with treble hook can work. Know the lake's depth and of any known hazards, like fountains that can kill sailboats, ropes that are submerged - really just little things that make sense and become 2nd nature to you after you have been sailing for a while.
If you can find a local sailing club or know of some friends that sail, that would be a great help to you in getting started.
If you'd like to chat, shoot a PM to me with your phone number and we can chat and go over a few things to get you started.
Again, welcome
Boomer

This in not rocket science, just fun.
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:31 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,436 Posts
Welcome Sgt. Markov...

...the manual is in this huge thread somewhere, but I went ahead and uploaded it again at the end of the 1st post, on page 1 of this thread, in PDF format so anyone who needs it can find it.

We have a great crew here and most of the guys can answer about anything you need to know about this boat. Post us some pics and stories when you get a chance...again welcome to the thread...Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:12 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Welcome! Are you getting an owner's manual with your boat. If not we can provide one for you which you can download. All the basic information to get you started can be found within the manual.
Once you have read that manual - about a 5 to 10 minutes - you will have a decent sense of how to get the boat set up and ready to sail.
Let us know if you need a manual - There are a number of common sense things to remember but read the book then ask some more questions.

Did the boat come with a radio if so, which one? That is a starting point. Earlier RC sailboats including Nirvana's we sold with 27mhz radios that are susceptible to interference by other devises that transmit on the same frequency. Knowing that is important as it is possible to sailing your boat and lose control of it when some dolt microwaves a burrito near by. Stranger things have happened.
The newer boats come with 2.4ghz radios that don't have this kind of susceptibility. Good to know. Since you are an airplane guy you probably are in touch with these issues.
It's worth understanding those older style radios and their limitations. Always use fresh batteries, always check for water leaks prior to sending your boat out to the deep water. Always have a recovery plan - you need to have some way to retrieve your boat if the wind stops, or you get stuck on submerged water plants growing in the pond or lake. There are so many ways, even a good fishing pole with treble hook can work. Know the lake's depth and of any known hazards, like fountains that can kill sailboats, ropes that are submerged - really just little things that make sense and become 2nd nature to you after you have been sailing for a while.
If you can find a local sailing club or know of some friends that sail, that would be a great help to you in getting started.
If you'd like to chat, shoot a PM to me with your phone number and we can chat and go over a few things to get you started.
Again, welcome
Boomer

This in not rocket science, just fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
...the manual is in this huge thread somewhere, but I went ahead and uploaded it again at the end of the 1st post, on page 1 of this thread, in PDF format so anyone who needs it can find it.

We have a great crew here and most of the guys can answer about anything you need to know about this boat. Post us some pics and stories when you get a chance...again welcome to the thread...Crash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Markov View Post

Welcome and +1! on the above!

Recall how you were addicted to the "planks"?

Sailboats are just as bad!

What a wonderful way to kill an hour and a half!!

All the best!

b
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:22 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,468 Posts
First outing of the year! No wind to speak of, just enough to stay in front of my friends Vela!
We finally got some normal weather about 75 still gets into the 30s at night but just beautiful days!
Excuse the picture - taken with my phone shooting into the sun. Not enough wind to make it really fun, but at least we got on the water!
Boomer
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:24 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,099 Posts
Boomer,

Great piccy of a great day!

Friends cutting out tomorrow after a few days and wifey has homework! I see me testing the "chair, drink and snack" measure of day sailing!

B
Last edited by rikybob; Jan 21, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:41 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,468 Posts
Yamaha RTW new in the box on E-bay

Anyone looking for a new in the box Yamaha RTW there is one on E-bay right now. One day left - here's the link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-RC-Sa...-/261156124962

Bid at this posting is $405 plus shipping charge of $33.23 which is very reasonable for this big of box.
Check it out.

Boomer
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:41 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,099 Posts
That Yamaha looks a treat!

On another note, wifey joined me down at the lake for some air boating and sailing!

Even got her to run the airboat!

I don't have a willing partner though as it just ain't her thang!

All the best!

b

Here!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
First outing of the year! No wind to speak of, just enough to stay in front of my friends Vela!
We finally got some normal weather about 75 still gets into the 30s at night but just beautiful days!
Excuse the picture - taken with my phone shooting into the sun. Not enough wind to make it really fun, but at least we got on the water!
Boomer
Looks great Boomer.

We're in the middle of a deep freeze up here. No snow to speak of, too cold to snow. BRRR!

It's minus 12 right now and that is going to be tomorrow's high.
Going down to minus 18 tomorrow night. That's centigrade!!
That's about 1 below zero Fahrenheit.

Guess all the waters gone hard by now.

Waiting for April...
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:09 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,468 Posts
Wow! That is really cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Looks great Boomer.

We're in the middle of a deep freeze up here. No snow to speak of, too cold to snow. BRRR!

It's minus 12 right now and that is going to be tomorrow's high.
Going down to minus 18 tomorrow night. That's centigrade!!

That's about 1 below zero Fahrenheit.

Guess all the waters gone hard by now.

Waiting for April...
Talked with Chi a few minutes ago he said it was 1 F and falling there. I feel bad it was almost 80 today!
Still getting chilly at night in the high 30's - not complaining just sayin.......
Should be back on the water this weekend - hope to get the Nirvana out of dry dock if the weather holds.
Hoping John can get the clear coat on my Seawind so I can put it together. It's never been sailed, so I am looking forward to getting back out west.
Keep warm you guys.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:46 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
488 Posts
@lilliyen:

Any ice about? Maybe you need something like this:
New K1 RC Iceboat (1 min 0 sec)
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:33 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpenguin View Post
@lilliyen:

Any ice about? Maybe you need something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Vig...yer_detailpage

Interesting viddy however I was ever-so-slightly put off by the Darth Vaderesq breathing. Sheesh!

Did the Hitec 645 mod and it is a much more "torqueie" servo compared to the stock one. I had been sailing one day and noted that the sails wouldn't "undeploy" in a stiff wind.

I have to imagine that this servo will put a STOP to this!

All the best!

b

PS What a surprise to find that the servo are was "Spring loaded"! DOH!

PSS Just found this on the SailRC web site "Sail Servo Arm – This arm comes complete with the sheet roller on the end and a spring loaded hub. We recommend disabling the spring loaded part by gluing the hub so it becomes one piece." Prolly not do that mod.
Last edited by rikybob; Jan 22, 2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:29 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,707 Posts
Prolly oughtta read the thread..there is reasons for that..
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:16 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,468 Posts
Rikybob
Chidago makes a good point. We typically suggest folks new to the thread take the time to go back to the first post and read forward to current. There are many good reasons for this suggestion. One very viable reason is you will learn just about everything you'd ever need to know about these boats, as well many other boats. Plus doing this gets you familiar with many of the regulars on the thread and find that this thread has become much more than just a thread on Nirvana's. It's success over the years has been in it's diversity and pretty much wide open range of topics.
Many of us here have become good friends and communicate outside of the forum. It is a fun place and there are new folks stopping by and getting on board all the time. You need not have a Nirvana to be active on this thread.
Enough said, it is worth the time to do it. Up to you but I'll bet if you do, you'll make the same suggestion to other newer members.
Glad you are having fun with your boat and with sailing.
Boomer