closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 12, 2013, 11:13 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,471 Posts
Rikibob
I read the comments on the HK web site about the boat. Don't know if you looked at them or not. The remarks were not to enlightening but might be of interested to you.
The photos are not close enough to give a real look at the boats rigging. Booms appear to be plastic can't tell for sure.
Be very interesting to get your take on it for sure. I have had my eye on a couple of cats for a while - posted a few pictures of those two. A "Topcat" and a "Triana" both very nice looking boats. Both Robbe products - some data can be found at this link:http://www.hmbc.nl/cat/topcat.php
Both are hard to find...............
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 12, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:23 PM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Rikibob
I read the comments on the HK web site about the boat. Don't know if you looked at them or not. The remarks were not to enlightening but might be of interested to you.
The photos are not close enough to give a real look at the boats rigging. Booms appear to be plastic can't tell for sure.
Be very interesting to get your take on it for sure. I have had my eye on a couple of cats for a while - posted a few pictures of those two. A "Topcat" and a "Triana" both very nice looking boats. Both Robbe products - some data can be found at this link:http://www.hmbc.nl/cat/topcat.php
Both are hard to find...............
Boomer
Hiya Boomer1!

Yah, I read EVERYTHING that I could find on the vessel and being a great conniseur of the "interweb" ciphered the crap from the shinola (read: NO one posts when they are delighted, only when they are mad as HELL!) The overall web analysis is good. Funny thing is, is there are no other powered sailing Cats out there and right now HK only has one left. Apparently they are like "hens teeth" and hard to find!

I'm actually jazzed and since by nature, I'm NOT a fan boy I look forward to giving a review with the good AND the bad. In fact I may do a FULL review!

I look forward to sharing my observations in the coming weeks!

The Cats you posted look cool!

Who knew sailing would be so much fun??!!??

b
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Last edited by rikybob; Jan 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:16 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,437 Posts
1st sail of the year...

...and it was a perfect day for it. Unfortunately only two of us were able to be there today and Wild Bill had to leave out early. I was not feeling well so I only got in an hour and a half or so of sailing myself. I did take a few pics and was able to starting tuning what I hope will be my boat for the 2013 Nirvana Nationals in June...
Capt.Crash is online now Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:05 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,714 Posts
Ahhh..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 04:43 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,471 Posts
Hey John
Did you get to the paint shop yesterday??
Boomer
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:42 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,714 Posts
Almost..got 2 done..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:24 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Almost..got 2 done..
Was one of those a Seawind?
Old Jan 13, 2013, 12:41 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Re: 1st sail of the year...

Crash left out the good "wing 'n wing" shot. Capt Absent just wanted more action in his RC life and went back to flying. I took his MegaTech blue boat and made it my Yat Blue boat, Bijou. Should be a rigging twin of the Cayenne and on a 5k day, I'm going to try them both out on a single transmitter ( with the rescue Springer standing by ). The SproGoose doesn't like too much wind; top heavy and windage.
jppom is online now Find More Posts by jppom
Old Jan 13, 2013, 05:57 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
497 Posts
Nice blue boat, are those replacement sails?
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:09 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,297 Posts
Chidago, has there been any update on the time-line for availability of the new "vixen?"

Pricing?
carlsoti is online now Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:05 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,714 Posts
Vixen? not a "vixen"..more like a gang member..lol..

Still testing it, no issues so far, try to get some vid up of it running soon.

Crash, glad to see you are feeling better, my friend.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:08 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Nice blue boat, are those replacement sails?
Original main and replacement jib, courtesy of SailRC and the Nirvana Regatta 2012. Replacement jib is glossy on starboard side rather than mat finished (flocked?) like the OEM jib sail, at least everyone I have seen. All mains seem to be glossy on starboard side.
Made my res at the Arbor House for June, now to work on my time machine so I don't have to wait so long.
jppom is online now Find More Posts by jppom
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Jan 2008
679 Posts
Chidago, can you share any further information on this new boat. What constructoin methoud for the hull (fibreglass and painted, fibreglass with gelcoat, ABS, Styrene etc). What about other parts like rudder shaft, keel bolt etc? Are they going to be corrosion resiliant items like brass etc?

I am aware of the new Dragon force from Joysway. This looks very promising and it would appear that finally a 'mainstream' manufacturer may have worked out that there is a need and hopefully demand for a 'decent performing' ARTF or largely assembled kit boat that really just doesn't exist atm (Micro Magic) excluded. It really is a shame that others like Tamiya, Kyosho, Thundertiger, Robbe etc.. etc... Haven't worked this out.

The RG-65 is a widespread class internationally and there are an absolute plethora of designs out there that could perhaps be licenced for production etc - based on cost and construction materials. Not everyone has the time and the where with all to lay up their own hulls etc.

I for one think many sailing classes need more accessable and affordable mainstream models. that is really probably one of the main things that will attract new blood. I mean many new IOM's, with A, B, & C rigs can cost $2500 - $3000 that wil flat out just deter many when they hear that kind of figure for what they essentially consider a 'toy'. *No flaming - I know there are 2nd hand and other hobbies can cost as much if not alot more, but it is a problem non-the-less.

I will be looking forward to seeing what this new boat looks and performs like. I mean many of the 'cheaper' kit boats need hundreds spent on them and the time and effort to do it, just to make them reliable and enjoyable for even informal fun sailing really.
Merkava is offline Find More Posts by Merkava
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:52 AM
AMA # 949551
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2009
2,099 Posts
Viddy...

Hiya Kidz!

Got a FPV on my red Nirvana.

Not as cool as my heli viddys wrought with anticipation of a crash but lovely none the less!

Feel free to enjoy my other viddys as well!

All the best!

b

PS 80F here in Florida today!

01142013 (3 min 0 sec)
rikybob is online now Find More Posts by rikybob
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:04 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,714 Posts
Merk, the new boat will be a molded plastic, to get good detail and consistant build quality, and of a paintable material. final cost is not even a guess yet, as there are to many factors unknown at this point.

The idea behind this boat IS to be a entry level PRICED boat, with extreme performace, rivaling the $2500 boats, so that hopefully it will bring more people to it, it will be a one class boat, I assume, to keep the class uniform, and NOT have the money wars to have a winning boat.

I am not at liberty to go on about any tech stuff, nor will I, its not my project, but, as things unfold, I surely will keep everyone informed.
RCG Plus Member