View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 01, 2011, 10:38 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Chidago looks great too me, well done. Where did you get the models and also your sail candy. As far as official racing 'standards', I'm still waiting to get my boats in the water. A search of the clubs [DFW area] has not identified anyone with Nirvana's. Look forward to your future mod's. Not to worry about the pictures, they showed clearly enough the result.
Thanks.
SS
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2011, 02:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
SS, the models are the same as hog happy's, where I got the idea of the aft deck, as I saw his captain tripping over the linkage.. then, after the deck, I wanted them too. they come from harbor models, in calif., http://www.harbormodels.com/ look under acc., figures and helm..if you decide to call, the owner Dave has been a friend of mine for years, tell him john from chicago said to go &^%+ himself.. the other reason for the deck is to be able to hide the weight I assume I will have to put in the rear to offset the nose dipping tendencies that the boats have, which has to affect speed. the addition of the new sails will aggravate that a lot, im sure.. I'l attach a pic of my carbon seawind with the panelled sails, you should be able to see the diff. the graphics are something I cut out on the plotter on my comp.

John
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2011, 10:14 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Thanks Chidago. Appreciate the info. Look forward to updates
SS
Old Feb 05, 2011, 10:43 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
SS,
hope you have luck finding a group, I really dont know much about these boats, I just have a lake outside my front door, and no gas stuff can be run on it, so, I'm building and playing with sail..probably the best guy on here to go to for advice is hog happy, crash, as he is called, he is very involved with it, at all levels, clubs, building, modding, etc. I just apply the things having real boats do that works, and I've never had a blow boat.. lol. but common sense kinda tells you what to do. I just like the nirvana cause its cheap, and if I screw it up, not a big loss..

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:09 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
SS,
the best guy on here to go to for advice is hog happy, crash, as he is called, he is very involved with it, at all levels, clubs, building, modding, etc.

John
Thanks John, Hoghappy and Boomer1 have both been invaluable help, and if you look about some of the other boating threads they are also active and more can be "gleamed" from their experience. I also appreciate your input from a strictly non-competitive sailing fun activity.

I read [on SailRC.com] that if you can "rake" the mast aft you might reduce the "plowing" [in stronger winds] but at a cost [?]. I have no experience to verify, plus it might be a mis-interpetation on my part. You may already know or have tried this.
Happy sailing
Waiting for spring
SS
Old Feb 05, 2011, 11:20 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,537 Posts
SS
We are good buds already. John is very modest,and trust me when I say that he is an "advanced model builder" in every sense, not to mention an engineer.

You guys should see some of his builds, which include scale yachts, tugs, record holding Nitro/gas race boats, aircraft and on and on. He is very generous with his knowledge and is a wealth of information.

He may not have all the details down on sailing, but he will! If you ever have the good fortune to get to sail with him, I am pretty sure that your boat will be looking at his boat's stern.

Super guy! When you talk to him, it's like talking with the "God Father".

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:10 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
SS

Super guy! When you talk to him, it's like talking with the "God Father".

Boomer
Having to laugh, sure makes me sound like the "newbie" I am. I appreciate all the info, especially ones that share as freely and enthusiastically as ya'll do.
SS
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:20 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
SS,
I am ultra competitive, just dont like rules.. steve lang, mr. nirvana, has told me that straight up is where the mast likes best. I aint got a f'ing clue, but I'll find out when the water aint so stiff. yo, rick, been tryin to call you all morning..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 12:37 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
SS,
here are a few pics of what I'm used to playing with, these are all gas engined, quickdraws, the smallest is the red fountain, its 46 in., the blue boat has a twin cyl. quickdraw, and is 65 in., the pink cat is 50 in., the red cat is 47 in. I do all the striping and graphics myself. so, as you can see, blow boats aint my thing... excuse the shapes, they are pulled from the album..

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:09 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
They look great John, I am always impressed with skills like these, thanks for sharing. I don't have a history of this sort of thing, current hobby was/is digital photography. The Nirvana's were purchased with the hopes of getting together with son and grandson. Of course their days are busy with work and school so time will tell.

Doesn't mean I won't be out on my own

You all have seen the weather around here in relation to the Super Bowl.
Come on spring
SS
Old Feb 05, 2011, 05:41 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
lol..photography is sure a skill i need..my g/f laughs at my pitiful attempts at pics so much..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2011, 06:16 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
lol..photography is sure a skill i need..my g/f laughs at my pitiful attempts at pics so much..
Sounds like a woman, same here even at the one or two I've had published. Just point, press the button half way and wait for the Beep, then press all the way.
SS
Old Feb 07, 2011, 07:53 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Guys...I run my mast straight up all the time regardless of the wind. Here's my routine:

1 Plug in keel

2 Plug in mast and tighten side stays as tight as possible

3 Hook up jib with with just enough to make her snug but NOT pull the mast forward

4 Hook up main backstay again just snug and enough to keep things straight

5 Hook up sheets

I never have to readjust these stays (except the sides)...I just unhook and rehook each time I'm ready to sail. The only adjustments I make for the winds are to the sails ...making them flatter in heavier winds. I am all for keeping it simple, and I find if I'm am at a little disadvantage on one part of a course I can make it up else where and by smooth sailing and not making any mistakes can overcome...most of the time....

Your boat looks good chidago...
Capt.Crash is online now Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:29 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,368 Posts
Thanks crash, I appreciate it.. I have seen quite a bit of you on utube, its nice you give so much of your time to the hobby, having been in many clubs, lotta guys dont understand how much time and effort it takes to keep it all sane.. and you go far and above. I am now going to re sheet in steel, as I will be putting on a set of dennis desprois's paneled sails, so I wanna keep the mast on the boat, see what happens then.
but, we have hard water here yet for a while, and after getting 27 in. of snow in 9 hrs, it aint gonna get soft for a while. any other things you can advise me with, on the particulars of the boat would be appreciated, Crash..
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2011, 09:54 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Ditto what chidago said Crash. You and Boomer have been extremely helpful. The steps for setup you shared, match basically what the user's guide illustrated, that is perfect for me. Much appreciate all input. Come on spring
SS