Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
Oh and yes the Yamaha is a 1 meter size boat....

Also take a look at the last pic of my Yammer and the Nirvana. The Nirvana is getting knocked down. Notice the wind indicator on the Yammer. I learned to open my sails in those conditions, to bleed off the air to keep from getting knocked down, and make the most speed, while not having to use more rudder, which will also slow you down....
Thanks CC,
I thought it was one meter, couldn't remember what I'd read about it some time ago.

I know what you mean about loosening the main sheet to stay upright, although it doesn't look like it in one of Pauls' pictures where I'm lying flat in the water with sails in tight.

I was actually trying to come about, had just hauled my sails in tight and cranked the rudder over, and a big gust hit me, and knocked me down and pinned me there.

Ended up having to jibe my way out of that one, it was the only way I could stand it up and get turned around.
If we got too close to that lee shore it was shallow there and then you couldn't even chance the jibe without running aground.
It was a good day to test the strength of the spectra lines and the various attachment points and knots etc.
If anything was going to break or come undone, that would have been the day.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Nov 16, 2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: spelling
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:17 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,584 Posts
Rick, the Fairwind was the first sailboat I had, years ago..the III is all about the bling, and AWESOME paint work..thats why I grabbed one..they are a collectors item already, they WILL be discontinued again, for good...they were outta production for lotta years before this, now it will be permanant.

Lang is a kyosho dealer, you know, AND has I think still 10 or so in stock..give em a call, or a email, let em know you are Nirvana board..that'll help the price, I'm thinkin..

chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:38 AM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Looking over the past year brought back memories of the Nirvana nationals and also brought these questions to mind. How far would you travel to attend a national, and what month is the best time to hold it? I know there is no one size fits all, but just wanting to get a feel for how everyone thinks about attending a national event. Thanks for your patience and answers.
Coming from a model warshp combat background where two day trips to attend a national event is common ... I would drive a day for a long weekend national event. That gives me time to drive back home before the next working day.

Which month can get tricky for numurous reasons like summer break, available vacation times, other planned trips, etc. For myself, July is usually not a good month since it is usually packed with other events and stuff. The major holiday weekends are usually not a good time either but can be worked with.
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:26 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,584 Posts
Well, as Crash hosted the last one, and is a board member, I'm sure he would help with those thoughts, and we dont know if he is going to again have the National regatta..

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:25 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
Crash will not be doing a National Event the rest of this year or in 2013...

As for timing...when it is a cool time of year would be nice. If it's a suitable time of year...I would more than likely attend as would at least one of our other club members.

If this doesn't work out for Seabee's club...maybe Steve Lang could do this right before/after the geezer regatta?
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,584 Posts
Either is good..

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:39 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,584 Posts
Sooo..2nd little jet outta paint...

4 more, the fleet is complete..

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Nov 15, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Sooo..2nd little jet outta paint...

4 more, the fleet is complete..

Very professional looking paint job Chidago, as always!
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:40 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,584 Posts
Thanks, Rick.. I'm hopin we have a lotta fun with these, a hoot in a stream..

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:50 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
.... How far would you travel to attend a national, and what month is the best time to hold it?....
Ditto for what Crash said. JP would drive 5-6 hours to get to a good regatta, longer if over two days on each end and a few days at the event. JP doesn't mind driving, loves sailing, and is jobless at the present time (actually happily retired). [ How much longer do we have to keep talking in third person? ]
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:19 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Fleet of Two

Well, my fleet is growing. I am now the proud owner of a practically new Fairwind III!!

Thanks to Boomer's generosity, his recently aquired Fairwind III is going/coming to a good home.

Mine!

This is a boat I have always treasured, even before I bought my Nirvana, but was just too rich for my budget.

Boomer has made it affordable for me (well almost)
(My wife still doesn't agree with me on that point.)

Rick, rest assured it will be well cared for, and treated as the treasure it is.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:00 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
512 Posts
Lil,

Congrats on the new edition.

Now just talking him into giving me first refusal on his Yamaha and I am in business.

Dw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Well, my fleet is growing. I am now the proud owner of a practically new Fairwind III!!

Thanks to Boomer's generosity, his recently aquired Fairwind III is going/coming to a good home.

Mine!

This is a boat I have always treasured, even before I bought my Nirvana, but was just too rich for my budget.

Boomer has made it affordable for me (well almost)
(My wife still doesn't agree with me on that point.)

Rick, rest assured it will be well cared for, and treated as the treasure it is.
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:17 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Rick
Happy to work with you on this. This has worked out well for both of us. I got a good deal on that boat and was able to "play that forward". If any are wondering why I'd sell it after all I went through to get it, it was very simple really. Chidago has been in a cleaning house mood lately and among his treasures he decided to move out was his "one of kind" Fairwind lll "Motor Sailor". Since I was thinking of converting mine, I thought, why make a copy when you can have the original? There ya go!

John made me an attractive deal on it, so it really was a "no brainer". It was fun having both boats side by side for a few days. I am shipping my boat up to Canada today - I know Rick is excited to get it.

This motor sailor idea is really a very good idea. Sadly to add a motor to a Nirvana would require major surgery that only someone with advanced hobby skills should attempt. I know John could do it but don't think he is interested.
His Nirvana is a work of art and it'd be a shame to cut it up!

I am trying to convince him to build a Yamaha RTW and make it a "motor sailor". Now that would be something! By the way he has had a new one sitting in it's original box in his archives for years.

Any way it would be very cool to see a Nirvana and a Yamaha "motor sailor"( in my opinion!)

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:26 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Now just talking him into giving me first refusal on his Yamaha and I am in business.
Dw

DW
You are at the top of the list, not to worry.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:43 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,584 Posts
Actually I have 2 in the box..problem is, I have been a Suzuki man for over 30 years.. " yamaha" just aing gotta good ring to it..

Had over 50, yes 50, Suzuki cars and motorcycles since about '75, when I quit riding Nortons.. still have 3, the drag bike, a 2007 hayabusa, and my old faithful burgman...

Plus, to tear up the yoomahe, would tear up a boat worth lotta dough, I can get probably a dime a piece from em..1000, to non italians..

RCG Plus Member