cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:05 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Thanks guys..no room for the trim on the nozzle, or I woulda..

The graupner comes with a reverse gate, tried to mod it as trim, uh uh..

Its been fun, tho, playin with the little thing, probably gonna do a much bigger one, with gas..

These are made by the guys who make the full size ones, they also make this, its 1/4 scale..its all aluminum, as are the big uns..everything is hand made, the jet itself is a work of art, stainless impeller, stainless wear ring, bearings thruout, and trim.. jet alone is $900..it'll be a $5000 project..

But, I got $6000+ in the purple one..but,the jet wont be runnin high 90's like this does in oval trim, jet MIGHT do 50 with my motor, dunno till I play with it..

Kinda a xmas present for me, from me..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Nov 04, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:34 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Not sure about he quality, but for what it is worth, check out the nozzle at Hobbie King. about half the price. Lets just hope not half the quality?

I look forward to seeing your toy build when the time comes.

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Thanks guys..no room for the trim on the nozzle, or I woulda..

The graupner comes with a reverse gate, tried to mod it as trim, uh uh..

Its been fun, tho, playin with the little thing, probably gonna do a much bigger one, with gas..

These are made by the guys who make the full size ones, they also make this, its 1/4 scale..its all aluminum, as are the big uns..everything is hand made, the jet itself is a work of art, stainless impeller, stainless wear ring, bearings thruout, and trim.. jet alone is $900..it'll be a $5000 project..

But, I got $6000+ in the purple one..but,the jet wont be runnin high 90's like this does in oval trim, jet MIGHT do 50 with my motor, dunno till I play with it..

Kinda a xmas present for me, from me..

dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:39 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
DW, thats not had good reviews, nor, would it be capable of holding 9 HP..problem with the chink stuff, is no parts..thats why I went with the Graupner, I get parts, (like the u joint ) from Florida..

Problem with this boat is the size..so hard to tune being so little..

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Nov 04, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:44 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Penguin, I looked at that radio but wondered if at $25 was it any good? Do you recommend it to someone that doesn't need all the fancy stuff?
SeaBee - as I think I may have said, I have three of these (one for each boat). They do the job really well for my boats (Hurricane 1000, Surmount 800, Discovery 500) - they are easy to set up, easy to adjust. Excellent range (they have FlySky electronics inside)

Each of the 4 channels has stick plus trim plus a reversing switch. Runs on 8 x AA batteries - has an inbuilt charging socket. I use 8 x Turnigy LSD AA - you could sail for 24 hours non-stop without changing/charging batteries.

As mentioned, the only downside of these units is no endpoint adjustment - for that you need to go for the computer managed unit - that is the same price, but you also will need to get a programming cable (about 7 bucks if I remember). Programming software from Hobbyking website (look under "Files" section of the programming cable.)

Hope this helps...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:19 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
But, I got $6000+ in the purple one..
...but I guess I can't say too much...the Prince "kit" before all the add ons...etc was around $3000. I would be willing to let her go for half what I have in her because she doesn't get sailed enough. She is a nice looking shelf queen though...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:20 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
John your jet boat looks great...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:51 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Like to welcome a new Nirvana owner to the thread, Brian B out of Newport Beach, CA (Balboa). Brian recently contacted me seeking a little advise on a problem with his new Nirvana. He offered to drive out from the beach last week so we could check out the issue he encountered with his rudder shaft getting stuck in the rudder tube - the problem became worse when In trying to free it, the whole thing pulled out of the hull.

The cause of the problem = Brian's closest place to sail is inside the Newport harbor, which is of course is salt water. He used Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to lube the rudder shaft, but that stuff isn't up to salt water's corrosiveness, thus the shaft seized itself to the brass tube.

Brian is brand new to RC sailing and was not sure how best to approach the repair, so I invited him out to the Wine country to my new hobby shop so we could attack the problem. He arrived with the boat, the rudder and rudder tube a bit discouraged, but hopeful we could get his new boat back on the water.

The first task was to separate the two pieces. We heated up the brass tube with the tip of my soldering gun to expand the brass tube, and using small vise grips to hold the rudder shaft and another to grip the brass tube, we were able to break loose the very tight bond between the two pieces and really "unscrew" the tube off the shaft.

Using a Dremel tool we cleaned up the ID of the rudder tube, the tube shaft hole in the boat, and polished the rudder shaft to remove any pits the salt water had created. The brass rudder tube now had some nice tooth marks on it's OD which made for a great surface to apply the epoxy to. We cleaned up all the parts and then using quick setting epoxy re-installed the tube in the hull.

Using water proof white marine grease we coated the rudder shaft and re-installed that and adjusted the rudder linkage for proper alignment -

Brian sent me the picture below of his new boat on the water yesterday - all seems to be good in Newport.

Welcome Bri.

Boomer/Rick
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:21 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
617 Posts
AHHH! I wish I was in Temecula about now.

Terry
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:24 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Crash, next year at the regatta, I'll grab it..u know thats me..

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:26 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Yup, welcome..

By the way, replacing the tube with a stainless tube helps that, also, do a lead anode, as real boats do, made outta a sinker, or, wheel weight, non painted, will stop it too..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Nov 05, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:30 AM
Go Big or Go Home
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
For those of you sailing on a "salt lick" here's some steps that I take and so far for 3 months it has worked....
First I use a generous amount of "McLube" sailkote on everything, rudder tube, rudder control rod seal..... I even coat the lines with it.... I find I doesn't effect trimming and they seem to soak up less water.
Then I use a vinegar and distilled water mix mostly water with just enough vinegar so you can smell it.... I put it in a spray bottle for easy use
After sailing hose it down work everything sails and rudder.... spray down with vinegar even inside. (With batteries out)
I sail about twice a week and haven't had a problem yet
sailsimms is offline Find More Posts by sailsimms
Old Nov 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
The pic I posted of the big jet was lousy, just looked at it, heres a better one, plus a few of the jet itself, showing the trim capability.., notice the smoother ramp from the intake to the impeller over the hobby king jet, that alone increases flow dramatically, 'cause water doesnt compress..it just stops..brick wall therory..

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 05, 2012, 03:02 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Just in case you forgot what one looks like....

...here's a Nirvana...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:13 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
Nah..I looked waaay back in the dark end of the closet, and found this..

But, its the most trouble free boat I have, so, not much to yap about on it..

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Nov 05, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 04:15 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,832 Posts
OH OH...WE HIT THE NICKEL!!!!! 500 PAGES!!!!

RCG Plus Member