cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:00 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
498 Posts
Thats why we decided on sailboats over power as they don't get stuck in the middle of the pond. We spent a lot of time watching and talking to the power guys and watching them put their boats in the water only to top runnung in the middle of the pond after several minutes. Then out comes the fishing rod with tennis ball on the line to retreave their boat. At least a sailboat stays upright and drifts inro shore sooner or later. That plus the cost of fuel here in Hawaii even new batteries each week is cheaper than glow fuel and glow plugs.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2012, 03:59 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
What is with this site lately...

...it keeps forgetting who I am and makes me log in...

One of the reasons we do lipo power fast boats is it's a lot cheaper/more dependable power. They don't need rescued that much. Actually I rescue as many or more sailboats...usually due to reciever power failure...or other loss of control.

Sure is good to have a rescue boat when needed....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Nov 03, 2012, 05:42 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts
Yup..I dont do nitro/glow either..just gas..its 4 bucks a gallon, and I might use 1/3 gallon for the day..with no every 10 min come change batteries..

Anything fast goes sky side up now and then..if it dont, it aint fast..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:06 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
498 Posts
Could someone confirm that mode 2 is the correct radio setup? Thanks. Is for sailboat, I want the rudder on the right.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Last edited by seabee CE; Nov 03, 2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:11 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts
LOL.. aint heard THAT in a while..I used to fly both, 1+2.. but, its up to you and how you prefer your controls..
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:35 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
For sailboats the throttle side (operates the sails) and typically is the left stick which is Mode 2.
Hope that helps.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:33 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
I do throttle up (power up) on the left stick (just like on aircraft) for the power boats. I also use throttle up on the sail boats to open my sails....but that is just me...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:49 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
498 Posts
Thanks Boomer and Crash, replacing radio in my Seawind and just wanted to confirm mode 2 was what I wanted.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:23 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Thanks Boomer and Crash, replacing radio in my Seawind and just wanted to confirm mode 2 was what I wanted.
What radio are you gettin? So many to choose from it makes it a bit of a decision. I fly RC aircraft so I have a full featured radio (RDS8000 Airtronics) It works for all of my needs but believe there are easier radios to program.

Sailboats don't need a computer based operating system, but there are a few features of computer style radios that can be incorporated into sailing. Examples could include rudder throw, rudder speed, sail reach and speed. These things are absolutely optional and not critical to sail successfully. Just a little more fun.

I've got tired of buying expensive extra receivers for my radio to use in my various boats and planes, so I have begun to use the 2.4 radios that came with some of my airplanes. The are typically 4 channel basic radios - they all work with out issues.

If I were to get a new high end radio, it'd most likely be a Futaba. Don't see that happening for a while. $$$$$

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Nov 04, 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Could someone confirm that mode 2 is the correct radio setup? Thanks. Is for sailboat, I want the rudder on the right.
I use mode 2.
Right stick for rudder (aileron channel)
Left stick for sails (throttle channel), up is sails out, down is sail in.

I use a Spektrum DX6i dsmx transmitter and a combination of Spektrum and Hobby King orange receivers. ($45-$75 for the Spektrums and $5.95 for the HK)
All perform flawlessly, and the 2.4 GHZ does away with channel conflicts.

I also have a DX5e Spektrum TX, but it doesn't have as many adjustments or a model memory like the 6 channel does. With the 6 channel TX I can adjust my servo travel (sail servo), and use some expo settings on my rudder to eliminate the twitchy thumb problem, for smoother sailing.
I hate watching a sailboat get jerked around by twitchy thumbs, very unscale like.
Slows you down too!

Hope this helps.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:54 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
489 Posts
I also use mode 2.
Right stick for rudder (left = turn left, right = turn right)
Left stick for sails (throttle channel), up is sails out, down is sail in.

Using the HobbyKing 4 channel 2.4GHz units ($25 for a TX and RX) - I use the non-computer ones, easy to adjust in most cases. No endpoint adjustment on them though... I use a mechanical stop if I need to shorten the endpoint (see pic below).
See http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_Mode_2_.html

I have one radio per boat - that way when someone turns up for a chat I can give them the radio and then grab another boat and go sailing with them!!

Works for me
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:21 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
498 Posts
Penguin, I looked at that radio but wondered if at $25 was it any good? Do you recommend it to someone that doesn't need all the fancy stuff?
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:16 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,756 Posts
Rick, a bit back you said something about the little jet aint gonna run to good with no induction system, and today I was lookin at that, so I added a hilborn and a mallory mag.. makes a BIG difference..

Amazing what polishing some aluminum tubing,and dying some weed trimmer nylon string does..

ps. firing order is correct..

RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 08:44 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Now that's bringing the heat!

All you need now is one of the rooster tail kits they sell for the full size jet boats and you have it.

Nice work. I am always so impressed with your paint work.

David

QUOTE=chidago;23183578]Rick, a bit back you said something about the little jet aint gonna run to good with no induction system, and today I was lookin at that, so I added a hilborn and a mallory mag.. makes a BIG difference..

Amazing what polishing some aluminum tubing,and dying some weed trimmer nylon string does..

ps. firing order is correct..

[/QUOTE]
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:50 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,475 Posts
Now dhat's want I'm talkin' bout! Big block horse pressure!! Nice-a-work!
Boomer