to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Racing with Victorias

FWIW, I race with Victorias weekly.

They are well suited to racing, (after a lot of mods).
They have a lot of adjustable settings, and they are a fun boat to race.
This group of about a dozen gentlemen who are kind enough to let me race with them, range from beginners to experts, many of whom have full size sailboats as well as RC boats, and many years experience sailing, both big and small boats.

At first, in light airs, I didn't do so well, since the Nirvana is about a pound heavier than a Vic to begin with and all my "decorations", (running lights, figurines, etc), added to the weight I guess.

The Vics scoot off like a bunch of water spiders in a light air, leaving me behind, but with a some good puffs on the backstretch I can usually catch up if not overtake them. (More sail area and a more slippery hull shape helps IMHO)

But in a good breeze, (or a near gale), she does pretty well.
The Nirvanas added weight is a definite advantage when coming about in a chop or stiff breeze, more momentum, less likely to end up in irons or bearing off.

I've had a few first places, and can usually be somewhere in the lead pack, unless I do something stupid, or the intermittent winds don't cooperate at a crucial moment.

As my skippering improves, my boat gets "faster" too.
"The harder I work, the luckier I get". (read that somewhere).

As for fidgeting with microscopic knots, totally unnecessary.
A judicious use of some rubber grommets, (and grey matter) obviates the that little chore. All that info is on this forum somewhere, you just have to read it, and apply it.

I can easily make any pond-side adjustments required (I usually set my boat up for the prevailing conditions BEFORE launching it), I can dockside it, adjust it and have it back on the course again in seconds.

If I had to make a judgement, based on my own experience sailing with some very good Vic sailors, I would say they are very well matched boats, the Victorias and the Nirvanas, and sail well together.

The main difference here will be, as always, the skipper!

I even held my own with a fast carbon fibre (lighter souped up race version), Vic last week (very windy, gusts up to 50KMPH), in the hands of a one of the best skippers in group. Not too shabby!

Outclassed? Piffel!!
Usually it's the skipper who is outclassed. And that, with a lot of study and experience, can be rectified.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:28 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Sat here for a while trying to figure out WHAT would make this little boat look good..

As Rick pointed out, its a "cartoon" boat..so, nothing normal makes it look good..

BUT, it is watertight now, runs as it should, gotta make a mount for the little cam, and its done.
Looks great John!

You have got my interest now.

I'm not a big speedboat fan, but you have opened up the possibility of having a very fast little jet boat at a very affordable price, (compared to some I've seen).
I'm thinking I might just grab one, throw in a HK 2.4 radio, good battery and leave it at that, until I can afford to upgrade the drive and motor and ESC.

Just might follow suit this spring!
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:00 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,556 Posts
Rick, its a ball..

But, finding one aint..everybody grabs em as fast as they show anywhere..

chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
461 Posts
@Lillyen:

Re your comments that it is not the boat, not the skipper - I agree wholeheartedly.

I had the opportunity to prove this to myself recently - have had the chance to go racing with a group running "A" Class boats. I was given the controls of a boat that was consistently placing in the top three (in a field of 9) - despite my best efforts I could not manage anything but a close last place over three or four races. Gave it back to the owner and he won easily without making any adjustments, same conditions.

The reason I was going so bad was not the boat, but what I was doing with it - things like needing an extra couple of tacks to reach a mark, trying to point too high and getting in irons, missing the start, touching markers (so needing a penalty turn) - experience is the key.

Since then, I have sailed with the group a few more races (using a borrowed boat) and now I seldom come last, but never first - have had a couple of lucky third places so I guess I am getting there....

There is no doubt that good equipment and boat setup are important but what you "do with it" is more important than what you "do it with" IMHO.....
mrpenguin is online now Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:24 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
494 Posts
The easiest way to see if it is the boat or skipper is to swap boats, a fun exercise is to put all the sail #s in a hat and draw, then race, draw again if you get your own boat. You will learn a lot about yourself and your boat.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:59 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,556 Posts
Seabee is right..like the IROC series..

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:00 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,688 Posts
To few of us did though John. The series died a few years back due to lack of interest and funding. Crown Royal tried to float it a couple of years but no go. I knew a couple of the test drivers that set the cars up to get them as equal as possible.

Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:47 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
816 Posts
Servo Issue

Went sailing today, only to find my rudder servo acting strange.

Erratic back and forth movement without applying any TX action. With TX action, I only get starboard movement, but now port movement.

Replaced batteries. Reset to another channel on the RX. No change.

Do I have a bad servo? It's only about 6 months old and maybe a dozen hours of total service.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
United States, OR
Joined Feb 2011
393 Posts
Yes,

The Vickie skippers and the Oregon Model Yachting Club were more than willing to let me sail their club boat. According to the commodore, it is a 15-year old ship.

The AMYA appointed a race director (RD), and provided Chevrons and a perpetual 1st-place trophy for the Victoria National Championship Regatta awards ceremony.

The Nirvana ship, itself, is not outclassed. The class is outclassed ....
ssautter is offline Find More Posts by ssautter
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,556 Posts
Raehm, the stock servos in the boat, if thats what you have, are junk..

Because sailboats are so slow, and really cant get in trouble, people keep trying to hope your radio gear will start working correctly. it wont.

If it were a plane, fast boat, or car, it would destroy itself. replace the servo.

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:43 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,421 Posts
Still smells in here...

Once again Sautter is trolling this thread trying to get us to say something to get our selves banned. This time he attacks Steve Lang the Nirvana Class Distributor, a Vietnam Combat Veteran and all round nice guy and then insults the entire Class.

Post # 7403
“If there is ever such a thing as the Nirvana III or the Nirvana II V2, Steve Chang ought to relay this information to the Chinese manufacturer, “

Post # 7422
“The Nirvana ship, itself, is not outclassed. The class is outclassed .... “

He acts like he is contributing something, but all he contributes is insults and crap.

I don't know why the Moderators won't/can't do something about this low life once and for all.

Sautter...the above was sent to the Moderator...I hope you are proud of your self...please do the world a favor... don't procreate.

Edited to add...I just fired off a nice email to the Oregon Model Yacht Club Commodore letting him know what to expect...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Oct 26, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,556 Posts
Pretty much..all I can add is 184 fairfield way, bloomingdale il...

The welcome mat is ALWAYS out..

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:32 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,421 Posts
I'm proud of ya Chidago...stay cool my friend...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,556 Posts
Always cool, my friend..just aint gonna find no little girls or cowards at that address, just MEN.

RCG Plus Member