closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:08 AM
Mr Happy
United States, AL, Montgomery
Joined Jul 2011
211 Posts
Fish Story

I finished another frustrating sail test with my Footy at a local pond and decided to fly fish for a few supper brim. Barely started when I heard a distant, ex-Navy sounding voice saying something like, " Arr, Mateys, release the Kracken." Next thing I knew, the Footy was gone, the brim were gone and I was looking at ....
jppom is offline Find More Posts by jppom
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:11 AM
Mr Happy
Joined Jul 2011
211 Posts
Re: Fish Story

Previous post was just a 'fish story.' We try not to let outsiders know just how great the outdoors activities are down here in Alabama, but this one was too much fun. Crash says if we let the Yankees, Canadians and West coasters know, they will just come down here and shoot our deer, eat our fish and chase our women; or is it shoot our fish?
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:13 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,116 Posts
Looks like one of my old GF'S...
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:35 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Crooked rudder issue

I just noticed something while centering my rudder at the pond.

My rudder doesn't line up with my keel very well.

I've had the rudder out and checked the shaft, it's not bent.

I have to assume the rudder tube is crooked, the rudder cants to port (at the bottom end).

If I were to just bend the shaft to the right, would that fix the problem or would it be detrimental to the the steering? (What would happen when I turn right or left after it's bent?)

The only way I can think of to fix it properly, is to remove the rudder and the tube (if possible), and elongate/slot the bottom hole to the right (starboard), reinsert the tube, (properly aligned), and epoxy it all back in place.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Or should I just leave it alone?

What effect can this misalignment have on my sailing, i.e. drag, tendency to weather helm in one direction, etc?
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:49 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,116 Posts
Rick, first, take the keel and rudder out, run a tape line from the bow to stern to get the center of the hull..make sure its the RUDDER tube..

Bending the rudder will be the easiest fix, I'm thinkin, which aint a big deal..

pulling the tube aint a biggie, getting it plumb will be.....

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:26 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jppom View Post
,they will just come down here and shoot our deer, eat our fish and chase our women; or is it shoot our fish?
Funny...rotate one spot to the right...or is that left?
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:53 AM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Nirvana's are one of the better boats for Salt water sailing. Very little chance of any water getting inside, and there is not much on board to corrode!

"Hose her down, and put 'er away wet" or words to that affect.

Boomer
I can't agree with that.
Having the wet sheets inside the electronics compartment with only a sponge for protection is not safe in my books. You should at least use a rubber to wrap up your gear, but even then, I would never sail mine on the salt-chuck.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
503 Posts
A great day at the lake, took 3rd place at the Black Mountain regatta, and traded a Nirvana straight up for a Seawind.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy101 View Post
I can't agree with that.
Having the wet sheets inside the electronics compartment with only a sponge for protection is not safe in my books. You should at least use a rubber to wrap up your gear, but even then, I would never sail mine on the salt-chuck.
If ya do it right you won't need a sponge and won't get a drop inside either....
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:13 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
A great day at the lake, took 3rd place at the Black Mountain regatta, and traded a Nirvana straight up for a Seawind.
Where's the pics?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratchy101 View Post
I can't agree with that.
I agree with protecting your electronics 100%. In everyone one of my boats I put my receiver and battery pack in balloons with a wire tie around it's neck to prevent any water from getting inside.

Having owned no less than 5 Nirvana's of different vintages and have never had any water intrusion issues with any of them. I know some that have had a small issue with their boat but nothing that would prevent it from being used in salt water.

I understand your concern about the potential of salt water finding it's way inside the hole the sheets travel through, accept to say that is very easy to prevent.

What small amount that might get in there would not be of great concern to me. I have spent my happy years boating on the ocean racing high performance boats that really don't like salt water at all. We managed to be able to prevent any damages from running our boats in the ocean by employing some very simple preventative maintenance.

I get your point but, but honestly I'd sail my Nirvana in the Ocean with out a concern.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 20, 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:50 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,116 Posts
Yup, what they said..

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Outside of the condos pool the only sailing area that we have here are saltwalter tidal ponds.
Have being sailing in saltwater for over 10 years and never had any problems with it. I just make sure that the boat is washed and the hatch is left open to dry the inside out durning the week.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:15 AM
Mr Happy
Joined Jul 2011
211 Posts
Re: Crooked rudder issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
I just noticed something while centering my rudder at the pond.
My rudder doesn't line up with my keel very well.
I've had the rudder out and checked the shaft, it's not bent.
I have to assume the rudder tube is crooked, the rudder cants to port (at the bottom end)......
Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?
Yes, same thing on a circa 2008 Nirvana I acquired used earlier this summer. My fix was a fairly simple one, as follows:

A. Find a metal rod or tube that fits in the rudder tube, about 10-12" long, for alignment and heat dissipation. Misalignment should be noticeable when looking at stern through rudder tube toward keel. (lining up golf shot?) If you cannot see it, the rudder shaft might be the problem.
B. Determine if bottom end or top end of rudder tube is displaced. (more displaced)
C. Working on displaced end, with long rod still in rudder tube, insert a heated soldering iron tip only long enough to soften the ABS and move the rudder tube into the proper, vertical position, using the long insert to hold in-place while ABS hardens.
D. Put backup fillet of epoxy thickened with micro balloons or wood flower around top and bottom of rudder tube to strengthen and seal well. Dab of paint on top side to protect epoxy from sun.
E. Sail straight and happy, with everything hanging where it should.

Takes longer to type than do. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:18 AM
Go Big or Go Home
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
43 Posts
When you guys are doin repairs like this..... what materials are you using? Like West System? Or is there like a hobby version?
sailsimms is offline Find More Posts by sailsimms