Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:22 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Mr. P
Any issues or concerns with water getting to the camera?
Boomer
@Boomer:
They don't like water much - both of mine have had a dose of (fresh) water but dried out ok. They are so cheap that it doesn't matter much (see below)

Easy waterproofing trick from a local sailor is to wrap the camera in kitchen cling film after fastening it to the bracket / mount. Arrange the film so there is only a single layer over lens / microphone and it works fine and is plenty waterproof enough.

Keychain camera with 2Gb card will take about 30 minutes of video. Seen better quality on others but these are cheap as chips. There are quite a few variants that all look the same, some need different software to change the date stamp etc.

I sourced mine from HobbyKing
Camera US$7.69:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13447
Card 2Gigabytes US$5.59: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13448
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:27 PM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
I just love the videos taken by onboard cameras. They give you a sense of what sailing is all about.
I like a few short onboard clips edited together - too much of it is as boring at bats**t

I have seen a few people mount the camera on a servo to provide some pan - it is OK on electric boats as the tend to stay reasonably level (but are noisy!), not so good on sailboats due to heeling - for a yacht you really need to be looking forward or back...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
A few pages back, I posted a u tube of a cheap little china boat that guys are modding, HUGE build thread at RCU, and on here also.

There are 50 or so u tube vids on it, its kinda indestructable, and a riot to run.

These are pics of the first parts in for it, do not have the boat yet, on its way from ogo pogo..

Adv. cost of these boats around 30 bucks, upgrade the motor, and you are in for a bunch of fun..

Watching the builds on these, guys use screen as a rock guard, and lot of em have prime issues.

This grate is how full size jets are set up.

This boat's jet is a knock off of the Graupner mini jet, WITHOUT the metal bushings at the ends of the impeller shaft. so, I am using the original Graupner unit, I want the durability, and the availabilty of replacement parts.
Aint gettin parts for it from ogo pogo...

So, when the boat comes, I will be gutting it, replacing all the running and electrical gear, plus, some simple paint work, as these run the best in rocks and rapids, nice paint work is a waste.

NQD Jet Boat Fun (8 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Oct 12, 2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Oct 2012
1 Posts
Nirvana Boat: Rudder

Hi,

I just purchased a Nirvana boat (brand new) and had the following issue with the rudder...

Background:

1) There's a brass colored metal tube that goes into the hull.
2) From there you put the rudder's shaft up into that tube.
3) Align the rudder, tighten the collar shaft, and you're good to go.

Issue:

I went through all these steps the first time, took the boat out, and noticed the rudder wasn't turning very well to the right. So I put some lubrication on it (vaseline was recommended) and I was good to go.

I took the rudder out again (after a few times of sailing) to check on the lubrication and this time...when I pulled it out (I was gentle), the brass tube came out with it. Not only did it come out, but it's wedged into the rudder shaft.

Question:

1) Is this a typical issue I should be having with a brand new boat?

2) Should I even try to fix this? I read this article and it made me kind of nervous that this doesn't seem like a good issue to have as this could happen: http://www.nirvanaclassownersassocia...aft-leaks.html

Please let me know your thoughts...thanks!
salieri is offline Find More Posts by salieri
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:33 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Depends on your abilities with these things, if you just bought the boat, contact Steve @ sailrc.com..

If you want to repair it yourself, its just a matter of re-installing the guide tube in the hull with a good grade hobby epoxy..

This is not a typical problem, tho, but, all things happen I guess..

The boat has a good warrenty, and Steve backs them up no question.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Oct 12, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 08:49 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Lol..had no idea the boat was so flimsy..why it lasts, it gives.

Interesting note, the stock jet is sooo much a knock off of the Graupner, doesn't seem right, they do whatever they want, and no problem..

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
John
This should be a lot of fun when you are finished! That little guy is going scream!
I wish I were near a river to make having one of those worth while. I watched the videos on Youtube and know it be great laughs to run one up and down some rapids!
Your craftsmenship is as always "spot on" - looking forward to seeing some video of the boat in action!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:54 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Lol..thank you..but, the OTHER fun of this would be on a short, tight oval..they turn and accelerate sooo hard..

The body work is done, filling the holes left by the original jet, clearanced the jet hole, Graupner jet has a longer chute, mask and paint...

No fancy paint, boats gonna get beat, maybe just some decals later.

In keeping with a Nirvana theme, color should look familiar..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Oct 13, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:19 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Crash, LOVE to see that boat out there, I know its a pain to take to the pond, but, its worth it to US..

Cant imagine all your hours in it..

RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:13 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Chidago, I have a quick question and need to draw from your expertise in fiberglass repair and painting. I recently purchased a used IOM as that is what they race her in Singapore. When I purchased it, I knew it needed a little TLC, sanding and a new coat of paint. In sanding off the the bad paint job adn exposing the white under it followed by the grey primer, I have discovered a couple of spots that need to have either some fiberglass patched or just some epoxy mixed with micro balloons.

My question is, it is not a whole in the hull, just an aread that needs to be filled and sanded before I prime and paint. The spot is about the size of a dime. I tried bondo last night and it reacted with the paint that was used and caused the white to resolubalize and made a big damn mess that just finished sanding.

What do you recommend me do as a fix?

I also have a 1/16 spot on the other side of the deck that is soft and I think if i keep sanding, it would cause a whole.

Give me your thoughts O great one.

Thanks
David
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
What a gorgeous ship that is, Crash! I'm sorry I missed it. Was going to drive over this weekend but got waylaid by a cold.

Beautiful ship!
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Oct 15, 2012, 10:46 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
David, a few pics would be helpful, but, you ALWAYS need to remove all paints and primers before any repair..depending on the area, if its a area that flexes, bondo aint gonna work well.. fiberglass resin would do better, with some balloons..

If its a boat your gonna keep, bite the bullet, and do all of it right, cause you reap the benefits at the end of the day..

If the flaw in not to deep, glazing filler works well, it has some flexability when its dry, but, water will melt it, so, good paint coverage is important to that area..
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:03 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
514 Posts
Chi,

Here are a couple of photos of what is going on. The larger of the two areas, I can patch with some 2 part epoxy with micro balloons let cure overnight and sand smooth.

The smaller one I can push on with a pen and the inlay area moves. I may have to drill that one out and and fill, sand and paint.

I don't know if I can find fiberglassing resin over here. I have some 2 part with me and some fiberglass.
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson