cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:08 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Numbers properly applied don't inhibit or affect sail performance. Regarding a tool kit, that is a fair question and deserves a decent response. I have take off right now but will respond later today. I am sure a few of the fellows will repond as well. You have made a good choice in the Nirvanas!
Nirvanas are pretty straight forward and generally, are issue free, so having a lot of tools on long is not really necessary. But there are a few basics to have with you.
More later.
Boomer

Novice Question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New to this Adventure and have enjoyed reading about many different topics, maybe I missed this info and hope some suggestions will surface.

Like all other hobbies and things I've done I have found having a "tool box/kit" to be invaluable to have on hand. Any suggestions as to what it might contain based on y'all's experience would be appreciated.

Also where one might purchase Sail Candy and Sail Numbers. Do these things impact sail stiffness? Two blue Nirvana's and two novice need all the help they can get.

Appreciated, Happy Sailing
Skyshaker
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:35 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
1st let me say.....welcome to the RC boating world and RCGroups.

As for sail numbers, here is where I get mine and no they don't affect the sails....you will need 2 sets...one for each side of the jib.

http://www.shipsstoremodelyacht.com/...ans,%20Etc.htm

Tools is a subject all it's own...if the sailboat is the only boat your using, I would bring as a minimum...a cutting tool (knive), small screwdriver, super glue, scotch tape and a piece of string. Spare batteries and other tools are also nice. If you do a search under the search button above you can find more info than you want.

Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 19, 2011, 09:45 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Novice Question

Thanks Boomer, Hoghappy for the quick response. Much appreciated. Hoghappy, curious what, hopefully minimal repairs, might be needed for the tools suggested.

1st Nirvana arrived, took longer to unpack than assemble. Now faced with sail position when static. Jib tighter than "dicks hat band" and main out further than pointing at the corner of the stern [per earlier suggestions]. Tried adjusting the the boom attachments, unable on main to tighten, jib becomes too lose, 20 off center line, same distance as main.

Thanks again
Skyshaker
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:21 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Novice Thanks

Never mind my prior post, answered my own support questions.

Hope this thread doesn't die

Best Regards
Skyshaker
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:28 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Be sure to take a small (jewelers) file to the holes your sheets (lines) run through...including the booms, they have very sharp edges and will fray/cut those sheets in quick order.

Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
This thread goes in spurts, and has been on going for a long time. Should be around a long time. Usually starts up again when we get a new guy such as yourself that finds it.
Then the chatter starts and the tips come forward. Lots of good stuff in the back threads, and are worth a few minutes to reveiw.
These are really terrific all around boats. Time tested and are still going strong. I am shopping for a deal on a new "blue" one after having two I still love um!
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 19, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
Be sure to take a small (jewelers) file to the holes your sheets (lines) run through...including the booms, they have very sharp edges and will fray/cut those sheets in quick order.

Crash
Thanks, at this time I'm afraid to undo any knots in the sheets, "old fingers" just aren't cooperative. Will accomplish what I can.

SS
Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:47 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
This thread goes in spurts, and has been on going for a long time. Should be around a long time. Usually starts up again when we get a new guy such as yourself that finds it.
Then the chatter starts and the tips come forward. Lots of good stuff in the back threads, and are worth a few minutes to reveiw.
There are really terrific all around boats. Time tested and are still going strong. I am shopping for a deal on a new "blue" one after having two I still love um!
Boomer
Thanks. I have read just about all 700+ of the threads. Learned a lot and have questioned my sensibility about starting something new at this stage.

I ordered two from SailRC, hoping it would be a nice family thing for the near future. Both will probably be blue, creating more identification confusion for novice. But we'll work it out.

Be Well
SS
Old Jan 19, 2011, 02:48 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Were able to get the mast in the proper position? The boats come marked with letters showing the order in which you should procede. A, B, C etc

Once you have the two shrouds, forstay and backstay in place, it is pretty easy to adjust the bowsies to bring the mast to a vertical and centered position.

It should not favor either side, but centered and straight up. Let us know how you are doing and if you need any help. Not too many of us are "spring chickens". Hang in there!

Boomer
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:12 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Appears to be vertical both bow to stern and port to starboard. Actually it goes together quite easy for a novice. But in this pic, it looks to be kicked forward if compared the vertical line of the keel. Sorry not a clear view.
SS
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
It looks good!
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:55 PM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Servo Chatter

Read in one of the earlier post someone writing about sail servo chatter or "hum", had that until I centered the Transmitter trim. Happy servo now. Guess all is well?

Come on spring......
Skyshaker
Old Jan 19, 2011, 06:53 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
it's been awhile since i've been here, but it seems that the nirvana is back in production again. i had herd that it went out of production, or am i wrong? i love mine. she sails in almost any amount of wind. believe me. i had mine out when my USOM was flat on her side. she's a great boat!
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Jan 19, 2011, 07:01 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Doom
On a previous post on this thread, there are details of the come back of the Nirvana. But yes, they are back and can be found in a number of places.
Which is good for everyone who's interested. They seem to be a bit higher in price, but what else is new?

Welcome back.
Boomer
Old Jan 19, 2011, 11:01 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
i'm glade they are back. top notch boat. any changes to it?
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing