cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,029 Posts
There was a lot of controversies when gas started out, novices, to slow, to big, etc., from the nitro guys.

But, they came of age, bigger was better, more detail, pull starting, no $30 a gallon fuel, clutches, etc.

This boat was a 57' that was cut in half, and 4 in. added to the rear pad for stability, boat has a 35 cc quickdraw, like the cat above..this boat is heavier, tho..

The clip says it all tho, as its faster than the 100 hp merc outboard the guys are in, look at the durability of it..mile after mile..try THAT with a pico..lol.

61' apache stretch, on bayou, '96 (5 min 57 sec)
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:46 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Official Nirvana Rules Proposal

Since this is where most, if not all, the board members hang…let me as a board member go ahead and make this recomendation/nomination.

I propose we adopt the N that a lot of us are already using as the official Nirvana sail logo. This is the same logo that is on my sail and those of our club as well as some of Steve Lang’s boats and is the suggested logo in use by Rodney Leathers and his followers.

This is copy/pasted from Mr. Leathers proposed rules:

Nirvana Class sail logo. It is a capital N (Arial, underlined, bold and italic, 240%) measure 3” high from the bottom of the underline to the top of the N. It may be traced with black felt tip marker or paint and positioned high on the mainsail. Locate the underline 11”below the highest point of the mainsail.

N

This logo looks good and I think we need to adopt it to help keep all the Nirvana’s on the same page, at least as far as this goes.

Now...suggestions on the "chevrons" anyone?
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:51 AM
Joined Aug 2011
401 Posts
N for no for me ... but im not a board member

sorry

anything purposed by an unrecognized renegade only gives him credence... that is, if i took enough time to read everything correctly and have my basic understanding correct.

the N to me is a hot topic annoyance that takes away from what Nirvana was supposed to be

again though, im not a member of the board
Pappy2 is offline Find More Posts by Pappy2
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,814 Posts
Not that it matters since Steve said it was already proposed, but I am with Pappy. Won't go on my sail.
Bill
sound sailor is offline Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
Since this is where most, if not all, the board members hang…let me as a board member go ahead and make this recomendation/nomination.

I propose we adopt the N that a lot of us are already using as the official Nirvana sail logo. This is the same logo that is on my sail and those of our club as well as some of Steve Lang’s boats and is the suggested logo in use by Rodney Leathers and his followers.

This is copy/pasted from Mr. Leathers proposed rules:

Nirvana Class sail logo. It is a capital N (Arial, underlined, bold and italic, 240%) measure 3” high from the bottom of the underline to the top of the N. It may be traced with black felt tip marker or paint and positioned high on the mainsail. Locate the underline 11”below the highest point of the mainsail.

N
This logo looks good and I think we need to adopt it to help keep all the Nirvana’s on the same page, at least as far as this goes.
Now...suggestions on the "chevrons" anyone?
Before I respond to the requested vote on the use of the "N", I wanted to comment on John's videos. Really some great footage for sure and two super boats not to mention some handy stick work! Very impressive!

Ok, to the business at hand - perhaps the Class secretary could formally
introduce this motion - think it needs a 2nd to move forward ?

My view on this is that it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. I agree with Crash's view and I quote " I think we need to adopt it (the use of the N ) to help keep all the Nirvana’s on the same page, at least as far as this goes."

I don't know Mr. Leather's - he is very likely a good guy, but it appears that he doesn't always exhibit a clear view of the common good for the class by not respecting the change made by Megatech. Unfortunately, it seems that the change has gotten "stuck in Mr. Leather's craw" as the saying goes. My suggestion is and as it has been, that he join the fun and move on. "Good grief" as Charle Brown would say.

The rule is clear, Megatech made the call, which is their's to do, and who is the current secretary is clear. This is not really a big deal on the scale of life.

Boomer
Board/Commitee Member
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 12, 2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,029 Posts
First, let me clear up something..the support and loyalty shown by Pappy, and Bill is what honor and friendship is all about..

But, Crash is one of us..

And, the original thought on a "N" for the sail had nothing to do with the splinter group at all..was on the table way before that.

The ORIGINAL " N " with underline is/was 3 1/4 inches in height, 12 1/2 inches below the high point of the sail.

I have spoken to the other board members on this, but have yet to decide to present it, based on all this chat..

If you guys are against it because you think its a play on the splinter group, it is NOT..

Gimmie some further thoughts, as is my habit, I aint into closed door dealing, so, its out here..

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:03 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
Put the N on one of mine last night.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
Last edited by seabee CE; Sep 14, 2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
I put it out here for everyone to see and comment on verses doing it under the table by a few because this is all of our sailboat class and I want it to stay that way.

This is not about us against them...it's about trying to get everyone back on the same page...if this will help then it's a good thing.

If you don't like the logo, you don't have to use it...plain and simple. Me...I like it....and plan to continue using it...unless something else comes along.

The discussion is good and maybe a vote via RCGroups poll/post would be good too...I don't know.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:14 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Open dialog is healthy - I think the Secretary will be addressing this formally in short order.
To me this is a non-issue, and I agree and roll with the "Crash man's" comments.
I am not large on loading up my boat or my sails with a lot of stuff, but having an N or not having one - if you like it - great, if you don't that's great too!

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:36 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Open dialog is the best thing that can happen. I think most classes that race in the AMYA have logos or font size requirements. And where are new rules adopted. Now if you race in unsanctioned races it really is up to the the race director of the regatta, if AMYA regatta must follow there rules.
My two cents........always have fun!!!!
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:56 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
1,814 Posts
As I conveyed (poorly) some time ago, I don't care what is put on sails. I just feel it should be done in the manner specified in the rules or having those rules and the rules commitee are useless. I will most likely never sail with another Nirvana owner being how I am going on 80yrs so my thoughts are do what the owners want, just do it by following the established rules. BTW that means by the manufacturers agreement NOT the AMYA. The AMYA would like to be the one establishing the rules but the majority of Nirvana owners across the country are not members. So brothers Rob and John you have my support to whatever the commitee decides. Another btw maybe we should start referring to it as the commitee instead of the board since that is what the current rules call it.
Just another thought though. Since the AMYC accepts the Leathers group as the COA doesn't this validate the AMYA establishing a COA instead of a manufacturers class? Just askin.

Bill D

addition "But, Crash is one of us.."

Does that mean Pappy and I are outsiders?
Last edited by sound sailor; Sep 12, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Are there three different groups pf people making rules for Nirvana regattas ? I am confused as to what is going on. I race in AMYA sanctioned races. My boats must follow those rules. Now when I sail for fun " no rules needed"
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:32 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
1,814 Posts
Guess we all need to get one of these,huh?
http://www.nirvanaclassownersassocia...905939.jpg?377
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor View Post
Guess we all need to get one of these,huh?
http://www.nirvanaclassownersassocia...905939.jpg?377
Nice hat !
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:40 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,029 Posts
No, Bill, you and Pappy are "us" too..just stating the fact Crash is always "us"

No, there are not 3 different groups..but, what guys wanna do is fine, there are ONE set of rules..set by the manufacturer..its a manufacturers class, not a amya class.

But, once again, its about fun, friendship, and friendly competition.

To regulate every little detail is rediculous., and redundant..at a regatta, its the sailing rules, set by the race director, that apply anyway.

I, for one, will continue to refuse a government regulatory type attitude toward PLAYING WITH TOYS.

The sail candy doesnt matter. put a pic of your GF'S on the sail if you like.

And board, committee, tomato, tomato, the rules advisory PEOPLE are what counts..not the terminology, call em what you want, I call em good folk..

What we are talking about is a official class logo, not a mandatory thing.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Sep 12, 2012 at 03:47 PM.