View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Dec 04, 2010, 12:26 PM
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
Couple pieces of info - rediaos and production halt

First, I haven't tried this yet, but this link leads to a pretty inexpensive 2.4ghz solution. I buy a lot of stuff from these guys, but I already have a DXi6.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9866

Second, I have it on "good authority" that the "problem" with the production of the boats was in fact due to a technical issue. The manufacturing process used in the Nirvana is "spray molding", which with acrylic, requires a molding agent to get the plastic to be the right consistency. It turns out the poor Chinese workers were dropping like flies due to the agent's toxicity. It took a few months to find a new, less toxic agent and modify the manufacturing process to accommodate it.

Megatech is a very small organization with a very domineering executive, so there are lots of layers beyond the technical ones including keeping qualified employees and financial...
jimgurley is offline Find More Posts by jimgurley
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2010, 03:33 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Jim
That is very interesting info. If accurate, could explain the finish on two Nirvana ll boats I just looked at. Both had very poor paint work and the rudders were a different texture all together. The gentlemen said they were original and that they had not be touched up or repainted.

I am glad took the time go see them inperson, rather than just looking at the photos this fellow had sent to me. The adhesive used to seal the radio box into the boats had turned brown, so I suspected the boats might have been kept outside for a while.

Both of my Nirvana's had nearly flawless hull paint and the adhesive remains white with no sign of yellowing or turning brown. I was ready to buy these boats until I saw them. I had not seen any Nirvanas with paint as flawed as these two had.

Thanks for sharing that news
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Dec 04, 2010, 06:11 PM
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
I'm pretty sure the "stock" Nirvana isn't "painted" - the hull is solid color, although someone that's scratched their boat really badly may know better. I doubt if the new models are painted either. It's a puzzle why you'd be seeing paint of any sort unless a previous owner did it...
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:42 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Jim
I really think the hulls are painted, or gel coated after they are molded. We can ask Steve he would know for sure. I was under the impression that the hulls and decks are injection molded ABS, which is very a "paintable" thermoplastic. If you look inside the hull, I think you'd see white or whatever the color the resin was they used. I would imagine they use multi-cavity molds which would keep their cost down.

Both of my boats came with beautiful finishes on them. There were few very small areas near the deck seams, that needed a little touch up.

The boats I mentioned both had what looked like bubbles in the paint, which some had popped and I could see white beneath.

Be interesting to know for sure.
Boomer
Old Dec 05, 2010, 06:57 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
I don't know about anyone elses boat, but mine is white under the paint. I sanded the blue off and repainted it orange.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Dec 07, 2010, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2008
11 Posts
Well that pretty much proves I'm full of @#$% about the lack of paint As far as the ABS versus acrylic, I probably mis-remember the telephone conversation I had with my authority - after all, they both begin with "A". I don't mis-remember the "blow molding" part.
Old Dec 07, 2010, 02:36 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Jim
It is OK! You are amoungst friends who understand forgetting stuff. Besides, who cares if it is painted or injection or blow molded, not I.

Boomer
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:25 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Ok...after seeing Capt. Scooters new helm this past sail, I decided to do one better.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 11:40 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
CC
I am a proponent of having a crew onboard my boats when ever possible.
When I watched my RC boats cruise around unmanned, they look like ghost ships, and incomplete.
I have not found a skipper the right scale for my Nirvana, but like what you have done!
I will start my search again for some figures for the Nirvana, now that I have seen yours. Very cool!
Here are few pictures of some of my other boats with a crew or people on board. I think they real add a great sense of authenticity.

Merry Christmas to All!
Boomer
Old Dec 21, 2010, 02:57 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
CC
I am a proponent of having a crew onboard my boats when ever possible.
Boomer
Come to think of it...all my boats have a crew with the exception of my UL-1....not much need on that one. I guess I don't like the ghost ship look either...lol
Old Dec 21, 2010, 03:28 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Scale figures for RC boats

I fellow I know of makes small race drivers and boats. I have a picture of a one of his boat with his drivers. Let me know if you are interested and I will give you his contact information
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 21, 2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2011, 07:10 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Last Sail of the year.

Here is a short video of my boat and another club member sailing the other day.

Nirvanas sailing on a windy winter day. (1 min 16 sec)
Old Jan 03, 2011, 11:06 AM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
I'm thinking og getting different colored sails for my Nirvana - where can one purchase these??

Thanks,
Jim
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Jan 03, 2011, 01:29 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Hey Jim....you can't buy the "Nirvana" sails in anything but stock white. I took a rattle can of Krylon and misted mine to the shade I desired.

Crash
Old Jan 18, 2011, 09:17 AM
USA, TX, Weatherford
Joined Jan 2011
76 Posts
Novice Question

New to this Adventure and have enjoyed reading about many different topics, maybe I missed this info and hope some suggestions will surface.

Like all other hobbies and things I've done I have found having a "tool box/kit" to be invaluable to have on hand. Any suggestions as to what it might contain based on y'all's experience would be appreciated.

Also where one might purchase Sail Candy and Sail Numbers. Do these things impact sail stiffness? Two blue Nirvana's and two novice need all the help they can get.

Appreciated, Happy Sailing
Skyshaker
Skyshaker is offline Find More Posts by Skyshaker