cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 05, 2012, 05:32 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
My gas boat finally arrived from the bayou, hurricane had it lost for a week..

But, its here now..

A few pics, gotta be detailed, and striped, did the flames on the nose before it went south, I always know in life to defer to better talent, when its there, The man who built this boat is the FINEST boat builder, glass and hull man alive, as far as I'm concerned, and one of my good friends..talent off the chart.

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2012, 06:37 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Wow! that is one fine machine! Looks like an Arneson Drive like the big dogs run off shore! Mighty impressive indeed!

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 05, 2012 at 08:54 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 12:20 AM
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
AAAH...done enough.. I have 11 1/2 hrs., and $41 in this project.. the stripe is and graphics are in silver metallic, except for the little red highlight..I could have done major stripe, but that wasn't the theme here, it was about what anyone can do, in their garage..
Hi Chidago, this looks slick. Are those silver, red and black stripes are painted or vinyl? Is the number 426 also vinyl? Thanks,

Also, did anyone repaint the deck? My deck is a little yellow, at least it is not pure snow white as I liked.
deoding is offline Find More Posts by deoding
Last edited by deoding; Sep 07, 2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
De, which boat are you talking about?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:35 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
FYI - there are several Nirvana's on E-bay right now - one is new - others used -
here is the link http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...boats&_sacat=0
Boomer
Old Sep 07, 2012, 10:12 PM
Joined Feb 2005
40 Posts
This one

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
De, which boat are you talking about?
deoding is offline Find More Posts by deoding
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:32 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
OOOH, that one.. lol..everything on it is a graphic, or pinstripe.

Some of the earlier boats used a little yellower plastic, it seems, for the deck, I have seen some very dark..

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:13 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
Fairwind sea trial..its what I remember, a great boat..

DSCN1377 (0 min 12 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:30 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Looking pretty nice to me! Another fine job!
Boomer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:42 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,286 Posts
Only one complaint, the video was too short. But the pics make up for it.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Sep 08, 2012, 02:54 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,375 Posts
LOL..to many things in my hand..that was the BEST 1..

I am not a good enough sailor to accurately describe the boat, but, a Fairwind was my first blow boat, back in about 89-90..

It is a heavy boat, mine being even heavier, but, As Lang said, no lee or weather helm, I also have the mast straight up, takes a minute to get moving in very light wind, but, it'll put the rail under and run, too..

Speed on a blow boat is a relative thing, is it fast, I dunno..it aint slow, my Seawind is faster on wind, this seems like about the same as the Nirvana, and thats about right, close to same sail size..but, I also have IRON wind..
THE MOTOR..and with sail and motor, it COOKS.

Its such a pleasure to watch the good sails work, tho, paneled sails have a look just like a full size blow boat, perfect shape, its like you can see the wind exit the foil..

All I got, guys, hopefully someone that knows how to actually sail will try one..

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:33 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,539 Posts
Sail trim

I was cruising around on another forum and found some comments of possible interest and thought they might be worth sharing - There were some questions asked by a new Nirvana owner "George" and the response was provided by Dick Lemke - who is one of the moderators of that forum and a regular here at this forum. While this chat took place in 2004 it still holds value.
Boomer

Here is that exchange -
Questions:
"How about the angle adjustment on the main boom?"
"What does the main sail do if the boom is allowed to have an angle of less than 90 degrees? Also what does the looseness of the sail do?"
" I see that there is an adjustment to move the end of the sail and jib tight and loose."

And Dick's responses:
"While these are basic questions, and simple to answer, they are all part of the "concept" of sailing - and each could have a book devoted to it. I will answer rather briefly, and others may add on, but I would suggest a visit to your local library and pick up any of their books on beginning sailing. Some will be more detailed than others, but much as other hobbies/sports, there is so much detail, you may become quickly "overloaded" !

Normally (usually) the boom is at right angles to the mast, and the mainsheet is holding the end down and parallel to the deck. As you release tension on the main sheet, to allow the boom to move out when sailing downwind, that tension is released, but the sail still has wind on it. This wind, pushing on the sail area will begin to raise the end of the boom, and in a way decrease the sail area available. The mainsail will begin to have a very large curve (belly or camber) to it.

The item in question is called a vang (or boom vang) and it helps keep the boom level when the mainsheet tension is reduced when the boom is over one side or the other of the boat. It also keeps the trailing edge of the sail (leech) tight.

As you have already noticed, the "outhaul" on each of the sails has the ability to tighten or loosen the bottom (foot) of the sails - both jib and main. As you move the outhaul inwards, the sail will develop a bigger "belly" (camber) which can help downwind sailing or if sailing in large waves (more power). On the other hand, as you move the outhaul back towards the ends of the boom, the foot of the sail will get tighter, and there will be less curve (camber) to the sail. This will help pointing closer to the wind when sailing upwind, and will help de power the mainsail whan sailing in heavy winds. Again, there is a lot of adjustments possible, so learning how to "tune" your boat is something all of us try to become good at - and some are just better than others. Experience will eventually let you know good versus bad adjustments. For the time being, move the out hauls all the way out, then bring them in about 1/4 - 1/2 inch. That would be a good starting point.

One other adjustment that is possible, but not used as often on R/c boats as they do on big boats, is a downhaul. This pulls down on the leading edge of your mainsail and removes lots of wrinkles.

In a sense, you can pull down on the leading edge; out on the bottom of the sail and using the vang you can keep the trailing edge of the sail tight. All of these adjustments working together give your sail shape, remove wrinkles (not creases or fold lines!) and the mainsheet is basically your accelerator.

Again - grab a couple good beginner books on theory of sailing. While we all are here to help, many will use nautical terms and names, so be sure to try to learn them as well - since then we are all speaking the same "language".
Dick Lemke 06-07-2004 RCSailing.net
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:47 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
519 Posts
Boomer thanks for bringing these simple questions and Dicks answers back to us. Sometimes we get so involved in trying to get the sail trim just right that we forget the simple basic settings. A lot of us see how good someone elses boat sails and try to follow their settings and get upset when it doesn't work out. Like Dick said start out with the basic and then make small changes from that. As we all know no two boats sail the same even if they are the same model. Once again its the skipper that really makes the boat sail like a rocket, one who watches both their boat and the conditions. A skipper who watches the water, wind and sets themseves up for the turns ahead of time.
I will use an example of a skipper that I sail with. He can put his boat into the water after the race has started and all the other boats have a half a lap lead over him and he still wins the race. Why? not only because he trims his boat his way but because he also watches all the factors that can effect his sailing the wind, tide, and the water( watching the little waves that the wind make) and using them to his advantage. I watch him and attempt to follow his lead. It doesn't always work for me. Two of my fellow sailors are very helpful in giving advice and I try to follow it,but sometime I forget it the next time I go sailing. That is the fun of sailing It is never the same each time you go out.
Hircsailor is online now Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:55 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
505 Posts
One way to illustrate the it's the skipper, not the boat theory is to put all the boat numbers in a hat and draw numbers, then race the boat you drew, kinda fun if you can get everyone to agree to it for one race. Also allows the better skippers to give more informed feedback on the boat to less experienced skippers.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE