cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:29 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
Yeah, but, Steve needs pics for his web page..the other boat aint gonna work real sharp..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:34 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
Here is a quote from Lang, from a note written to Dennis on the Fairwind..

" Well, I took the boat out for a short sail - gusting to 20, but because I was on windward shore, I sailed in everything from 0 to the predominant wind of 12-15. I really don't know how to tell you this but the boat sailed very well. I am not used to the high freeboard, so rarely got the rail in the water. The boat sat perfectly on her lines - perfect with the waterline. She was balanced with the mast in the center hole, and I had the rig straight up - no rake. Virtually no helm even in the puffs even though she would slowly round up. So no harsh or irritating weather helm and no lee helm at all. The sail servo is a little weak but when the sails are trimmed it held, just wouldn't trim in a puff. Downwind the boat kept her head up even in the puffs and moved smoothly through the water.

She isn't particularly fast, but she sails well enough to enjoy her in racing conditions with other FIIIs. And when I pulled her out, no water inside at all. Of course it wasn't that much wind, and as I said the rail was rarely, if ever, in the water - let alone up to the hatch."

That was from Saturday...

RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:05 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Yeah, but, Steve needs pics for his web page..the other boat aint gonna work real sharp..
I am open for contributions - I am not proud and will accept freebees!
Once I get this other boat deal undone, I will see what other options I have.

I do have a local hobby shop that has them and their price is the best I've seen on a new one. I need to do a little more investigation before my next move.

I will be contacting Kyosho to discuss this crack to get their take on it before I send it back.

I wasn't suggesting I take pictures of the Serenity - just that I was not empty handed.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:45 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Finally was able to watch you video Chi. That is great stuff and she looks good going thru the water. You know you want to drop a big brushless in her and she what she'll do?
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:18 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
LOL..nah, any displacement hull can only go so fast..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:03 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,765 Posts
Aw come on John, put a hemi in it. All that may be true but put plenty of hp to em and they can do pretty good.

Beal boat racing at Boothbay Harbor 6/16/12 (0 min 38 sec)

Bill
sound sailor is online now Find More Posts by sound sailor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
Bill, after I do the hydrofoil, I'll look at it then, it has plenty of motor now, just a tiny 30mm prop..I'll know better after I see how it runs under sail+power..the foil will allow the boat to raise more and more as it goes faster, reducing wetted surface..you know me, I'll take it as far as any insane person, and nature, will allow..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:10 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Bill
How fast are those boats going? If you stop the video at 31 seconds you can see one of my favorite boats in the background a 47' USCG Motor Life Boat. It's really not important, it just caught my eye.

John and I both have RC versions of that boat. Posted a couple of pictures for you. The boat in the video is the unpainted version of the boat. They make great rescue boats!!
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:10 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:48 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
1,765 Posts
Boomer, there is a CG station there in Boothbay Harbor and that one is stationed there along with a few small boats.
They race several classes based on size, hp, type of engine (gas, diesel)
The diesel boats that actually work at lobstering run about 40mph . The fastest is a supercharged V12 that does 70+ mph and never pulled a pot. I believe I remember the one in the video was doing 42. It is a big thing up theah (thats Maine talk) and they race in different ports every weekend. Those Maine hulls are my favorite design.
Heres a shot of that 47' MLB
BTW the first 2 numbers (3 digits 100 and up) on CG vessels is their length or sometimes called class. hence yours is a 47 footer. There are no 44' still in active service. They were quite different looking than the 47s and were self righting. Back years ago when i was a Div. Vice Capt in the USCGA, the workhorse was the 40 footer. I really liked those boats.

Bill
Last edited by sound sailor; Sep 04, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:34 PM
United States, CA, Yorba Linda
Joined Sep 2011
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Bill
How fast are those boats going? If you stop the video at 31 seconds you can see one of my favorite boats in the background a 44' USCG Motor Life Boat.
Not important just caught my eye.
John and I both have RC versions of that boat. Posted a couple of pictures for you. The boat in the video is the unpainted version of the boat. They make great rescue boats!!
Boomer
I want one! Where did you buy it?
minizoom is offline Find More Posts by minizoom
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My Real Estate Aerial Video
Old Sep 04, 2012, 11:56 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minizoom View Post
I want one! Where did you buy it?
Sorry to report that these models were discontinued several years ago. There were two different companies that made these boats. The most popular were those produced by Proboat/Horizon Hobbies and were sold as RTR. the The other brand was Midwest Models and they were sold as kits - while they looked the same outside, internally there were some differences.

If you do a search within RC Groups.com on these boats, you can find volumes of information and some amazing custom versions that forum members have created. Here are a couple of links to get you started: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...otor+life+boat
and one more: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...e+boat&page=18

If you are diligent and monitor E-bay from time to time one will go on sale. Be prepared as they bring a pretty price these days - (I prefer the Proboat version) The original retail on the Proboat versions was $593.99. Since they have become collector items, their value is holding at or around the original retail - you might get lucky and get one for less?
There is a brand new one on E-bay now at this link - it is in Southern Vancouver Island, BC.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Boat-Coa...item1c2ae88fce

Here is a link that tells you about the Midwest version http://www.naturecoast.com/hobby/mid...#COAST%20GUARD
http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...ProdID=PRB3500

And a link that tells you about the Proboat version:
HorizonRC.Com Preview: Pro Boat Coast Guard Lifeboat (3 min 2 sec)

I had a Dumas kit version of the 44' version - very nice boat too! I believe those kits are still made, if you are into building kit boats.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 07, 2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:35 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
Mine is for sale..
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2012, 07:47 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Joined Jul 2011
1,765 Posts
Not long ago one sold on fleabay for 300 and the buyer tried to flip it for 2000 before he even got it delivered!

Bill
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:52 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,827 Posts
Ouch..I have big $$ in mine, but no where near 2 grand..thats rape..

Some pics of mine at page 297, post 4452..true twin..

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Sep 05, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:59 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor View Post
Not long ago one sold on fleabay for 300 and the buyer tried to flip it for 2000 before he even got it delivered!

Bill
I think I remember that - he listed it here too, and it created a fire storm of controversy and as I recall the guy left in a huff! I think the forum management may have banned the guy for some of his remarks.

It is a free country, or it used to be, so even though the guys price was crazy and even obscene, it was his to price for whatever he wanted.

Now as far as the comments that may have taken place, that is another issue. If someone wanted one so much as to pay that price, and had the money, why not? Someone once said "you can't rape the willing" which might be applicable in this context. Hey, for two grand, I think I'd have to let mine go for that price!

John's boat is another master piece to be sure! Got more hi-tech electronics on board than the full size version. (well almost) Like the song says "if I were a rich man" la la la la de! (Fiddler on the roof" )

Good hunting!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 05, 2012 at 12:07 PM.