closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
According to Sailrc, the Nirvana came out in the winter of 2002. Changes were made related to servos, multiple channels for the radio and the radio box design to bring the Nirvana up to the Nirvana II.

I know of no website with the routing information you are looking for on all boats, each one is different.
Thaks guys .. I'll be poking around for some picts but even they are somewhat lacking the ideal (it's generally dark in there) ..

I'm sure there's been many different sheet routing plans and techniques and it sounds like Nirvana's work well and that there was little change in the hull or sails as the transition to Nirvana II was implemented. That's a good thing.. JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2010, 03:33 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,461 Posts
Pictures of Nirvana ll rigging

Jim
Boats very from type, size and maker as to how they are set up. I have included several pictures of my red Nirvana that show you in pretty good detail the arrangement Megatech uses on these boats. I have also included a couple pictures of a Seawind and a Yamaha RTW for comparison. If you double click on the images they will go to an enlarged size which should give you a good look at these three different set ups.

The Nirvana uses an clever method to adjust the sail and jib trim. You will see some O-rings on the boom and Jib and your will see a number of holes drilled into the boom and the jib. If you read the instruction manual I posted for you, it explains how these very simple and affective devises work. They also make transporting the boats very quick and easy.

The Seawind like the Nirvana has the control lines above the deck, which is similar to the Discovery 500. The Yamaha runs the lines below the deck that are directly connected to the servos.

Once you review the pictures, develop questions, fire them back on a post and we can try to address your questions

I may have some more pictures of some other boats. If i can find any that provide a good close up I will post them for you
Boomer

PS
Pistol grip transmitters are not a good match for sailboats! Stick radios are the way to go. Can be done if that's all you have though.
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Mar 12, 2011 at 09:25 AM. Reason: PS
Old Oct 19, 2010, 06:55 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Once you review the pictures, develop questions, fire them back on a post and we can try to address your questions
Boomer
these are terrific picts and the boats look great.. Thanks a lot for taking the time to post them... can't believe the detail on the Yamaha in particular.. but probably the best way for me to really get a handle on this is to go to the pond tomorrow (if it's not raining too hard), and talk with the guys there and take a look up close and personal at some real boats. I hear they sail on Wed and Saturday and do power boats other days.. it's pretty amazing seeing the spectrum of techniques.. where can one get the little miniature block and tackle pulleys like those on Nirvana? I couldn't find them on R2Hobbies site.. find it interesting that the sheet lines attached to the jib and main booms are fixed so far forward but assume that may be because there's limited travel in the 45 degree arc of Servo Arm swing, is that why? Interesting to see how some have lots of leverage in the design too... JimS
Old Oct 19, 2010, 08:27 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,461 Posts
Lots of fun looking for sailboat hardware

There are a number of sites that sell the kind of blocks you have shown for RC sailboats. I don't know where to start. Many of them are off shore but you can buy from them without any issues. These items have become rare, thus they have become expensive, but nonetheless, very cool stuff.

Here are a few sites to wet you taste buds. It takes time to sort through each site, but it is fun to see all the very cool stuff for the model builders.
Boomer

https://www.radioyachtsuppliesaustra...ds/Pekabe.html

http://www.model-dockyard.com/acatal...t_Winches.html

http://www.cap-maquettes.com/modelis...adripales.html

http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/index.html

http://www.modelyachtfittings.com/

http://www.pekabe.com/cgi-bin/mivavm...tegory_Code=RR

http://stores.ebay.com/Marblehead-Fi...4.l1581&_pgn=3
Old Oct 19, 2010, 09:16 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
I keep forgetting I'm not addicted yet.. But will start looking.. Thanks for the great start!

Regards
JimS
Old Oct 20, 2010, 06:39 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
I keep forgetting I'm not addicted yet.. But will start looking.. Thanks for the great start!

Regards
JimS

I'm not addicted either.....hahahahahahaha...here's where I started in this hobby...pic attached of my yet to be completed maybe some day project.

http://www.modelsailingships.com/
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:55 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghappy View Post
I'm not addicted either.....hahahahahahaha...here's where I started in this hobby...pic attached of my yet to be completed maybe some day project.

http://www.modelsailingships.com/
Cool Gunship.. would be really neat if it would fire it's canons from real mini-guns..
Old Oct 20, 2010, 05:14 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
So far no Nirvana sightings in San Diego

Went to the RC boat pond in Mission Bay today .. had a nice time chatting with three of the SD Argonaut regulars there about RC boating and sadly tho they have seen a Nirvana there on occasion, they typically sail ODOM, Soling 50, Footy, and Santa Barbara class boats there.. they encouraged me to bring the Discovery 500 down and get a feel for sailing there tho, and we had a great chat and they answered all my questions ranging from kelp, to sail competitions, and even night sailing (tho none have ever done that there)..

I need to sell come RC planes and save up for bigger boat and in the interim perhaps i can convince some of my RC glider buddies to get into it too.. I'm not daunted cause the site is simply too nice to pass up and the guys there seem to be very welcoming and fun to compete with.

If anyone in San Diego would care to PM me some time 'bout sailing .. please do. I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to the idea that when the wind is down for flyng RC slope planes, I can tool over there to the pond and have some fun racing with friends.. all I need now is a boat like theirs.. which one yet .. is TBD..
Old Oct 21, 2010, 08:48 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,096 Posts
Quote:
It is designed to be used this way...the hinged antenna is prone to breakage though....some folks are replacing with a rubber duckie style and I believe there is some discussion/link in this thread somewhere on where to purchase one. Remember...the DX6 is a "PARKFLYER" radio...not a full strength long distance airplane radio. If your going to use it for aircraft you may want a stronger radio. I relocated my antenna inside the case so not the break it....mine works fine for boating.
Does this apply to the DX6i as well?
Or is that the newer revised model?
I was under the impression theat the 6i was full range radio.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Oct 26, 2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2010, 09:41 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,461 Posts
Outstanding job

Crash.
That is one fine ship you got there! Nice work buddy! I would love to see her up close and in action.
Boomer
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:30 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Does this apply the DX6i as well?
Or is that the newer revised model?
I was under the impression theat the 6i was full range radio.
DX6 only......
Old Oct 22, 2010, 06:31 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Crash.
That is one fine ship you got there! Nice work buddy! I would love to see her up close and in action.
Boomer
Thanks......she can hold her own against the Nirvana too.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:24 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,461 Posts
I would image with all that sail area!

Crash
I checked out the web site you supplied. Man, those are some really magnificent models! How long is your boat? Once of those on that site was
63". How do you get that from home to the lake? Must be a bit of work!
Again, nice work!
Boomer
Old Oct 23, 2010, 07:12 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,435 Posts
Quote:
Crash
I checked out the web site you supplied. Man, those are some really magnificent models! How long is your boat? Once of those on that site was
63". How do you get that from home to the lake? Must be a bit of work!
Again, nice work!
Boomer
Boomer mine is about 55" on the deck...8' overall ready to sail. The masts fold down....I have to use my Bronco to haul her in and can't afford the gas. I also have to have perfect wind in my small pond or risk losing her into the wall or ground her on the island...hence she doesn't get much sail time. Here is a vid with her in it to get an idea of how she sails next to some Nirvanas. I wanted a simple sail boat, but when I saw this kit....well...you know how that goes...she was my 1st .

Montgomery Model Boat Club (MMBC) 11/14/2009 Sail (6 min 7 sec)
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:55 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
I wanted a simple sail boat, but when I saw this kit....well...you know how that goes...she was my 1st .
Very nice video.. I especially liked seeing the mix of sail, and SeaWind air, and 80mph speedos.. and of course the crash and rescue at the end.. Thanks!