View Poll Results: Poll Closed
cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
Also, I was planning to install one of my spare AR6110e spectrum receivers and use my DX6i. Or is that really necessary?
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:23 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,060 Posts
Well, I seem to be able to poke my nose outta the sand some, what have I missed?

As I refuse to get, or act my age, all engines, yes, even a Hemi, requires work to keep its horsepower.., as a Hemi, there is so much horsepower, , that losing some doesnt seem to matter.

But, this Hemi needed a valve job to regain its former pleasing, friendy, understanding demeanor..and be able to cash the checks its mouth always seems to write..

Pro valve job coming in a week..5 angle, even

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jul 08, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:37 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,060 Posts
Also, wanna thank all my GOOD friends for their wishes and help, the 2 Ricks, Crash, Pappy, and all the other good guys here..the Board of directors for Nirvana, best little boat out there, And my friend Steve Lang, for his support..

Cant wait to get back to helping make this thread # 1 again, to make it the rolling circus we had fun with..

And with this new found attitude that I have found, words cannot describe my views on those who would change our boat, better than a pic, worth a 1000 words, you know..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:40 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm View Post
Also, I was planning to install one of my spare AR6110e spectrum receivers and use my DX6i. Or is that really necessary?
Not necessary - but, a full featured radio offers you a number of options that can be incorporated into rc sailing.

A few examples would be: limiting the throw of the rudder, perhaps slowing or dampening the speed at which the rudder servo moves. (Rudder movements slow the boat) On a long run, if you have properly dampened and limited rudder's speed and throw, you can extend the run's duration and speed. As you develop your sailing skills, you will develop a sense of touch that yields smooth helm control.

Yanking a boat around is not efficient nor pretty to watch.

You can establish set points for the sails - pull them - close or extend them further.
All cool little things you can to maximize your boat control.

Hope that helps.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:43 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Always a ray of sunshine and a breath of fresh air when Chidago is on the thread!
Boomer
Old Jul 08, 2012, 03:23 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
508 Posts
Chidago take care and good luck on your valve job. After being off the water for over 6 months because of hip and knee problems I know how you miss sailing. I know that you will be back bigger and better after the valve job. Like you said even Hemis need tune up once and awhile. Again good luck and hurry back as you keep this thread interesting.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jul 08, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Raehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raehm View Post
I'm in Hyde Park and was definitely considering the larger pond at Eden (with the fountain). I wondered if it was deep enough but, then again, one could always easily retrieve one' boat in this 'cement pond'!

There is a soling club somewhere north of here. Perhaps that is at Lakota location.
Mirror Lake with the fountain is about 4Ft. in the middle. There seems to be a breeze from N. Ky all the time. Your're right about the Soling club. I spent 23 yrs. at the fire house on the square.
Hotfire is offline Find More Posts by Hotfire
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:11 PM
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Apr 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfire View Post
Mirror Lake with the fountain is about 4Ft. in the middle. There seems to be a breeze from N. Ky all the time. Your're right about the Soling club. I spent 23 yrs. at the fire house on the square.
I just noticed you also fly electric. Try the backside of Withrow H.S. and the soccer fields in front of the 4 Seasons Marina.Come to think about it there's a big lake at the marina.
Hotfire is offline Find More Posts by Hotfire
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:51 AM
Charleston, SC
Joined Jul 2006
837 Posts
My biplane (PT-17 Stearman) is large enough to navigate through the grass and flies slow enough for Withrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotfire View Post
I just noticed you also fly electric. Try the backside of Withrow H.S. and the soccer fields in front of the 4 Seasons Marina.Come to think about it there's a big lake at the marina.
Raehm is offline Find More Posts by Raehm
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: GWS Me-262 Build
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:53 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Always a ray of sunshine and a breath of fresh air when Chidago is on the thread!
Boomer
Ditto....I'll be glad when you get the hemi back up too John. Still too hot to sail down here....maybe this coming weekend?
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jul 09, 2012, 08:26 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,060 Posts
Thanks, guys..at least i have all the correct info now, so I aint as restricted as I was..THAT was killing me..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:54 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Glad to report I was able to get out to the lake Saturday, and got some sailing in. Had the Yamaha and my buddies Nirvana with us. Beautiful day with pretty smart wind conditions upwards of 12 to 15mph!
The Nivana was at it's limits but was flying around the lake wing on wind - the strong winds could on occasion over power the servo for a second as John was tacking - to put the wind at the aft end of the boat. The result was a few seconds of some very exciting submarine action , always a crowd pleaser!

No water made it's way inside the Nivana which is always a good thing. The Yamaha is very happy in these conditions, so for me is was just good fun on a very nice day at the lake.

I didn't have my camera with me so I am unable to post any pictures. Felt great getting back to sailing again!

Boomer
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:03 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,060 Posts
Umm..where was the camera??

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2012, 05:44 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
Umm..where was the camera??

Yea...we demand pics man....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:16 PM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
513 Posts
Hey Chidago,

Good to see you back on the thread! I hope everything works out and you get back on the horse very soon.

All the best to you and a very speedy recovery.
David
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson