Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:10 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
Just to clarify, I didn't move the jib forward, I moved the eyelet forward by installing a new one.
I don't get what moving the eyelet does to help performance? You haven't really changed anything...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
492 Posts
Improves jib shape, hence performance. You can also ask Steve as I believe he has made this change on some boats, I think the #30 he just sold has this mod. Disclaimer: Any improvement in performance my boat experiences is no guarantee of improved performance by any other boat with these same mods, as skipper, wind speed, wave height, turtles, weeds, ambient temperature, and beverages consumed may affect your results.
seabee CE is online now Find More Posts by seabee CE
Last edited by seabee CE; Jun 18, 2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:22 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
[QUOTE=seabee CE;21931061]Improves jib shape, QUOTE]

ah so grasshopper...

But it won't matter because I'm going to keel haul ya anyway...
Old Jun 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
492 Posts
[QUOTE=Capt.Crash;21931517]
Quote:
Improves jib shape, QUOTE]

ah so grasshopper...

But it won't matter because I'm going to keel haul ya anyway...
Will add your name to the long list of skippers that have done that.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 05:58 PM
Barstow, Ca
Joined Oct 2004
194 Posts
Quote:
Improves jib shape, hence performance. You can also ask Steve as I believe he has made this change on some boats, I think the #30 he just sold has this mod. Disclaimer: Any improvement in performance my boat experiences is no guarantee of improved performance by any other boat with these same mods, as skipper, wind speed, wave height, turtles, weeds, ambient temperature, and beverages consumed may affect your results.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665550

POST #13, I sure hope they shipped today, I think I'm getting a great first boat.

)
sbales is online now Find More Posts by sbales
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbales View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1665550

POST #13, I sure hope they shipped today, I think I'm getting a great first boat.

)

you made a fine choice

welcome to the forum!!

sweet grafixs on that boat
Pappy2 is offline Find More Posts by Pappy2
Old Jun 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
Sweet boat...I almost pulled the trigger on her myself...but I captured and refitted another instead...

Oh and welcome to the Nirvana world and this thread....
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:53 AM
Sport R/C Flyer/Sailer/Driver
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined Nov 2001
263 Posts
One of the most overlooked (for me at least) adjustment to reduce weather helm was opening up the mainsail angle in relation to the jib. Many pages back I posted some comments on some semi extreme measures I tried to reduce the weather helm. Them I got a PM (I forget who but it was much appreciated) suggesting I check the boom angle. Sure enough I had it pulled in more than it should have been. After making the adjustment the Nirvana's weather helm became much more controllable.
MMangus is offline Find More Posts by MMangus
Old Jun 19, 2012, 07:01 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
492 Posts
Mangus, I also adjusted that angle, I think I have 12 degrees on the jib and 10 on the mainsail and that along with the afore mentioned changes has given me the best handling boat I have ever had.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:23 AM
God made wind for sailors
United States, FL, Summerfield
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Mangus, I also adjusted that angle, I think I have 12 degrees on the jib and 10 on the mainsail and that along with the afore mentioned changes has given me the best handling boat I have ever had.
Seabee,

Is that angle (10 and 12 deg. set at full in with the sheets, i.e., or at another
position?

I moved my stays back to 17" and are tight. This still pulls the mast a bit forward and I have lowered the jib as far as I can, I think, Sat. is supposed to be real windy around here so it will be a good test.

Bud
BudE. is offline Find More Posts by BudE.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 10:42 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudE. View Post
Seabee,

Is that angle (10 and 12 deg. set at full in with the sheets, i.e., or at another
position?

I moved my stays back to 17" and are tight. This still pulls the mast a bit forward and I have lowered the jib as far as I can, I think, Sat. is supposed to be real windy around here so it will be a good test.

Bud
That is full in, but again, this works for me and every boat has variables so this is worth what you paid for it. If you get 10 responses, you will probably have 10 options.
Last edited by seabee CE; Jun 19, 2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 11:16 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
I set mine up a with the main boom admidships (with as little free play as possible) while the jib points slightly further out than the shrouds....this is where Steve said it should be and it is working well for me on the Vulture. I also keep the boom vang tensioned as tight as possible with the stock setup.
Old Jun 19, 2012, 05:13 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
496 Posts
Several years ago when we started sailing with our ODOMs the more experenced sailors told us that with the sails sheeted in that the main boom should be pointed halfway between the centerline and the side of the boat while the jib should point toward the shrouds. Of course this works best for our winds in Hawaii, but each area has its own wind conditions to deal with.
When I received the Westward 18 the sails were set along the centerline with the wind at the pool the boat sailedlike a block of wood. I pulled the boat out and adjusted the booms and boats sailed a lot better. Still pushed around by the wind blowinfg between 10 and 20 mph per weather man. Will have to try sailing it later this week when the wind dies down some
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jun 19, 2012, 09:44 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,552 Posts
Ahhh..nice to see everybody yappin..

I am hoping to get out on parole by the end of the month, I stop by and check, but, as I'm fryin some personal fish, cant be my usual, friendly, comforting, understanding and tolerant self..

Thanks for all the messages and emails, you are all friends, GOOD friends, and are highly appreciated.

Just consider me in the pits idling, still good to go..

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2012, 06:24 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,420 Posts
Good to see ya posting John...get well soon brother....