closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:10 AM
Earth Mover
United States, VA, Moneta
Joined Jan 2007
231 Posts
Hi,

I've tried to register my Nirvana's at SailRC.com twice now but have heard nothing - its been 30 days.

Is that normal?

Thanks!
fcwilt is offline Find More Posts by fcwilt
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:31 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
Hi,

I've tried to register my Nirvana's at SailRC.com twice now but have heard nothing - its been 30 days.

Is that normal?

Thanks!
Pretty much.

Steve is one busy guy.

He'll get a round tuit, never fear.

I thought my registration request got lost too, but it did show up eventually.

I hear there is a move afoot, to have all new Nirvanas already supplied with a registration number..
Not sure how that's coming along.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:34 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Blackbeard
Welcome! There really is some very good information contained within this thread and I believe well worth the time to start at the begining to work forward - you will get to know just about everything there is to know about the Nirvana and many other related and non-related things too.

You'll learn about some of the guys that hang out here and about how diverse the group is, and how similar we are in many ways.

Glad you dropped by!

David
That is exciting news for sure. Sure be a great adventure. I know you'll find some new sailing friends over there and send us lots of great pictures! Congrats and good luck in the new adventure.
Boomer
Could not of said it any better....welcome Black Beard...it's good to see another fortune hunter about and I look forward to exchanging broadsides with ye.... conrgats David, my big haze grey home stopped in Singapore back in the 70s...interesting place.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:27 AM
Earth Mover
United States, VA, Moneta
Joined Jan 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Pretty much.

Steve is one busy guy.

He'll get a round tuit, never fear.
Thanks for the reply.
fcwilt is offline Find More Posts by fcwilt
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2012, 02:46 PM
Hope Mills, NC
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome aboard gents.

David- Fair winds and following seas as you and the crew head out to Singapore. The closest I've been to that neck of the woods is New Zealand. Bet it's georgeous and I look forward to hearing about the rc sailing scene over there. I am currently holding fast in Hope Mills NC with my family. We sail in any body of water that will put enough water under the keel, to include the backyard pool!

Boomer1- thanks for the advice on the blog, I have been through it the past couple of nights and have gleaned several excellent ideas on tuning and making the boat a much better experience on the water, can't wait to try 'em out. I am in the process of changing out the radio/reciever and power pack in Cross Fire right now.

Capt. Crash- It was your hosting of the first regatta for the Nirvana that got me on the right tack to several other websites that support the class, to include Steve's website where I am also waiting on registration numbers(fcwilt). I look forward to meeting you at the next regatta possibly in Asheville NC?
Blackbeard64 is offline Find More Posts by Blackbeard64
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:55 PM
God made wind for sailors
United States, FL, Summerfield
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Hi Fellas,

Since the attachment point of the jib to the mast on Nirvanas seems to be a weak point (tends to break) I changed the way I attached the Jib stay and one at the top of the jib from the clamp bracket on the mast to the masthead crane. Both lines are adjustable with bowsies. I also replaced the jib stay wire with dacron line because the wire was tearing the jib slot. I took it oust today and it sail quite nicely in 6-14 mph winds. I don't race so I don't worry about rules.

Does anyone have any pro or con comments on this change? If so I'd like to hear them.

Bud
BudE. is offline Find More Posts by BudE.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:15 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudE. View Post
Hi Fellas,

Since the attachment point of the jib to the mast on Nirvanas seems to be a weak point (tends to break) I changed the way I attached the Jib stay and one at the top of the jib from the clamp bracket on the mast to the masthead crane. Both lines are adjustable with bowsies. I also replaced the jib stay wire with dacron line because the wire was tearing the jib slot. I took it oust today and it sail quite nicely in 6-14 mph winds. I don't race so I don't worry about rules.

Does anyone have any pro or con comments on this change? If so I'd like to hear them.

Bud
Bud
My concern is that it appears in the picture you posted that the modification you made has resulted in the jib sail being moved forward away from the mast. This will reduce the boats performance and may even effect the boats handling charateristics. One of the real sailors can explain the gap distance science.

I have not had any issues with the factory connection - I can see where it could be an issue if excessive tension were placed on it.

I used the factory connection point but then installed a line with a bowsie on it to add support from above to balance to two opposing forces.
I get a nice balance between this leverage point and the back stay. I am able to keep the backstay's tension just right with this set up and an rigging screw at the base of the backstay.
I posted a photo of that set up for you.
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,459 Posts
We talked about this as recent as page 439 with numerous pics of various solutions. I chose to double my jib head. I have broken one in the past 5 years of sailing....
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 07, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Boomer/Crash,

Oh, I concur with what you are saying and I did read the previous threads. I did this sort of on a whim just to see if I could tell and significant difference in handling. Yes, it does increase the spacing between the jib and mast, but I couldn't tell that much difference between the original and this. As I said, I don't race, and I sail for pleasure only so a little speed loss or gain makes little difference to me. I may return it to its factory position, which would be easy enough, although I do like the individual lines and adjustments rather than the factory set up. I had thought that my change may have increased weather helm. Is that possible? I also added weight to the forward jib boom and that really helped in low wind running it seemed. Oh, where do you buy those screw adjusters with the hook on the bottom, I can't find them at my LHS or on line yet?

I love this thread and you guys are most educational! Thanks a bunch,

Bud
Old Jun 07, 2012, 11:45 PM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
I can see another issue moving the jib-stay to the mast head.
Remember this is there not only to fly the jib, but also to support the mast.
It's common practice in the sailing world to tune the main sail with this.
What I mean by that is, there is a distinct advantage of having a 7/8ths or 3/4 rig (how far up the mast the forestay is attached). By adjusting the tension of the forestay and the back stay, you can tune the bend of the mast to flatten the mainsail or add fullness.
Either tightening the forestay or adding tension to the back stay will add bend to the mast with the original setup. Moving the forestay to the masthead eliminates this extra tuning functionality.
You did not post a pic of the full mast, but I'm guessing there is no bend in your mast now, or it could possibly be bent backwards from the shrouds which are still attached to the same location and could be bowing the mast back slightly.

If you don't race or sale with anyone else, then this is not an issue, as you have no way of gauging the loss in performance by this modification.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Jun 08, 2012, 02:49 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
531 Posts
There are rigging screws listed on ebay
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Jun 08, 2012, 07:13 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
516 Posts
Just to add to the above post, I recently broke the jib attachment clamp on my mast due to excessive force. Fortunately, I had a spare (don't ask). The excessive force was due to applying to much force from tightening the jib in conjunction with the tension applied from the shrouds.

Let me clarify, I was not wrenching down on the shrouds, but with forces from four different points pulling down, something has to give.

Since then, I moved my shroud attachment points to the mast head and only have my jib attaching to the jib clamp. I have also reduced the tension I apply to the shrouds. With the way the mast attaches to the deck, we really don't need them to extremely tight.

Like the photo Boomer posted, I had to apply a string with Bowsie to from the mast head to the jib clamp that applies down force and removes some wrinkles in the sails allowing them to flatten. I have found a slight bend toward the stern if I look down the mast.

Does this work and is it as efficient? So far so good. I have not noticed much speed loss due to shrouds attaching to mast head.

I am alway tinkering with things and may move them back. I don't know.

Bud, regarding the rigging screws. You can find them a number of different places online. As mentioned above, Ebay, Midwest Model Yachting and Brighton boat works. I have actually purchased them from Sailsetc in the UK and they do arrive within a week. Depending what your needs are, there are many options to choose from. There are numerous postings addressing this earlier in the thread.

Hope this helps.
David
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:52 AM
Canada, BC, Greater Vancouver Regional District
Joined Dec 2011
178 Posts
That's odd, the shrouds on my Nirvana came attached to the masthead and are then fed through the hole in the jib attachment clamp. The wires terminate just above this and a double purchase line with a bowsie is run up the masthead and back for tensioning the shrouds.
I assumed all Nirvana's were like that.
Scratchy101 is offline Find More Posts by Scratchy101
Old Jun 08, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
Scratchy101 & DW,

I had forgotten the reasons for a fractional rig and didn't go and check it out...should have. Thanks for all the good info. By the way, I did return the jib back to its original attachment points with the addition of individual adjustment bowsies for both. I have not changed the placement of the shrouds along the toe rail or on the mast.

I seem to have a bit of a problem is strong gusts for the boat to develop instant weather helm. Is there anything that can be done about this since we can't move the mast or tilt it much? I'll check out those sources for adjustment screws although I did find one at the LHS that is a clevis on a swivel.

Bud
Old Jun 08, 2012, 11:51 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudE. View Post
Boomer/Crash,

Oh, I concur with what you are saying and I did read the previous threads. I did this sort of on a whim just to see if I could tell and significant difference in handling. Yes, it does increase the spacing between the jib and mast, but I couldn't tell that much difference between the original and this. As I said, I don't race, and I sail for pleasure only so a little speed loss or gain makes little difference to me. I may return it to its factory position, which would be easy enough, although I do like the individual lines and adjustments rather than the factory set up. I had thought that my change may have increased weather helm. Is that possible? I also added weight to the forward jib boom and that really helped in low wind running it seemed. Oh, where do you buy those screw adjusters with the hook on the bottom, I can't find them at my LHS or on line yet?

I love this thread and you guys are most educational! Thanks a bunch,

Bud

Bud
I sent you a PM with some information on good places to source rigging screws and the SS leader you'll need for the upgrade.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1