cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 26, 2012, 06:34 AM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
507 Posts
I normally get a 5.3 to 5.5 reading out of my rechargables and the sail times are usually longer than I would have expected. I think the technology has come a long way.
seabee CE is offline Find More Posts by seabee CE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 07:03 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
A bit more on leaks

Well. since I have already bitten the bullet and drilled a hole in my hull to fit a rubber drain plug, thought I'd improve on that a bit.

Got a bit of a surprise the other day, after all my bragging about no water getting into my radio box.
(Must have been the 10 hour marathon sailing session in very stiff breezes that kept the rails under water all day that did it)
I'm guessing that since the only opening is in the starboard side of the box where the sheets emerge, that would be the way the water got in.
Either it forced it's way in through the tiny hole or else the sheets dragged it in.
(It was long session ). Just re-greased my sheets in that area to repel the water a bit more.

My sponges were wet, and there was definitely water in radio box.

Mopped it out and took a hair dryer to it and tossed in the silica gel pouches afterwards. (Can't wait for my Corrosion-X to arrive)

Anyway, since I now have a method to drain my hull, with a (very tight), rubber plug in the stern, I decided to help the radio box problem out a bit and took a hint from someone here a few posts/pages back and drilled two holes in the bottom corners of my radio box about an 1/8" in dia.

If it happens again, at least the water can find it's way OUT of the radio box, and not be threatening my batteries and wire connections etc.
(The servo bottoms I smeared with silicone before I installed them)

At the end of the day, I'd rather have the water sloshing around inside the plastic hull than in with my electronics.

BTW, the amount of water I found inside the hull after drilling the drain hole for the plug was less than half a cup. That's after several years of sailing! Still not sure how it got in.

Hope this info helps someone out there.

Tip:
If you should be Dremel tooling around in there (the radio box), for some mods, do NOT remove the bottom two rails that your batteries sit on. You don't want your batteries sitting on the floor of that box, for obvious reasons)
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old May 26, 2012, 10:27 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,518 Posts
I quit buying AA batts 20 years ago..with very expensive planes, and fast boats, I didnt want the worries over batt failure, or, checking them every time, and the cost of the duracell 24 packs at the stores..then, which were new, which were marginal, etc.

I have NEVER had a problem due to discharged batts. and in sail, the usage is so light..I have used my boat for over 4 hrs. straight with no problem, with 1100 ma. batts., and bigger servos.

Lotta guys make a mistake and oversize their rechargables, and never get them fully charged because of charger limitations. 2700 ma. batts aint gonna charge with a 50 ma. charger, period.
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Installed my battery meter

Well in the end, I went with the numeric digital version, and put it inside, not outside the radio box.

Couldn't find a place where it wouldn't look ugly on the outside.

Seems to work well, tested the used set of batteries in the boat and they showed 5.0 v, new set showing 5.7 as in the pictures.

The unit fit perfectly in the corner of the box, interferes with nothing, weighs nothing.

It's up out of the moisture area, haven't even waterproofed it yet (I have a spare).
I will when my Corrosion X arrives.
Don't think I'll dip it in plastic or resin, just use CX.

So, I'll have to open the lid to check on my batteries and of course when I change batteries, I'll know how much charge I have going in, so to speak.

Another gadget!!!

Going sailing now!
Last edited by lilleyen; May 26, 2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old May 26, 2012, 08:39 PM
Earth Mover
United States, VA, Moneta
Joined Jan 2007
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Well in the end, I went with the numeric digital version, and put inside not outside.
You could always get a 2.4 system with telemetry. Then you could have a up to the second report on your battery condition.
fcwilt is offline Find More Posts by fcwilt
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 11:11 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
You could always get a 2.4 system with telemetry. Then you could have a up to the second report on your battery condition.
Overkill I think.

Aside from the extra expense, and the lack of room inside the radio box, these batteries, as Chidago has already pointed out, don't deplete that fast.

For instance, I just got back from sailing for about 3 hours, and my RX pack went from 5.5 to 5.1 volts. (According to my new meter )

So it's not a big issue really, I'm just a tad anal about these things.
Old May 26, 2012, 11:20 PM
Earth Mover
United States, VA, Moneta
Joined Jan 2007
231 Posts
Well if you ever get the urge the small telemetry module is 25.8 x 20 x 10.8 mm.
fcwilt is offline Find More Posts by fcwilt
RCG Plus Member
Old May 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcwilt View Post
Well if you ever get the urge the small telemetry module is 25.8 x 20 x 10.8 mm.
Thanks FC
Old May 26, 2012, 11:31 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Vulture

More Vulture pics please

In full pursuit mode would be good.
Old May 27, 2012, 08:35 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
More Vulture pics please

In full pursuit mode would be good.
Ive been down hard the last week and a half and haven't felt like working on her. I started back again last night. I got her rigged except for the running gear. I decided to go with what I know and what works for me....the stock set up.

Still alot to do, but you can get an idea of how she will look now rigged...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old May 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,556 Posts
Crash,
One of kind for sure! Very cool. Should turn a lot of heads at the lake.
Hope you are feeling better!
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old May 27, 2012, 09:28 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
Ive been down hard the last week and a half and haven't felt like working on her. I started back again last night. I got her rigged except for the running gear. I decided to go with what I know and what works for me....the stock set up.

Still alot to do, but you can get an idea of how she will look now rigged...
I like it.

I just read somewhere yesterday that a black sail can generate it's own wind on a windless day, something to do with the heat absorbed.

So if you see the Vulture gliding past you everybody, when there is little or no wind, it's not a Hemi doing it.
Old May 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Dec 2006
83 Posts
Looks fit fer a Pirate....Arrrr !! Go all the way & black da Jib.

"Cap'n Narly"
R. Nordeck is online now Find More Posts by R. Nordeck
Old May 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,458 Posts
Vulture

Got her rigging finished, electronics up and running, and she is ready for action as soon as the Capt. and helm show up from Harbor Models. I also did a matching sail holder in black duct tape and matching graphics.

That's the 18 gun schooner "Prince de Neufchatel" in the background. She will be making her way back into action too now that I have my black beast (Bronco) running again. She had an amazing life in the WAR of 1812...if you're interested you can find the largest collection of history and my build, on a site I dedicated to her here...

http://www.orgsites.com/al/americanprivateer/index.html
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old May 27, 2012, 09:04 PM
God made wind for sailors
United States, FL, Summerfield
Joined May 2012
41 Posts
My New Nirvana

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/FONT]
Well, I went to my pond the day before yesterday and had a very nice 2 1/2 hours of sailing with winds 5-10 mph. this time no water inside at all with the exception of damp sponges. A lot of the time I sail on a big lake near my home and the waves at times are 5-8 inchers. I think that is when I am getting water inside. Except for the water I had been getting my boat sails wonderfully.

I use 4 nmh rechargeables at 2300 mah each and I get at least 6 hours before I recharge, so no problems there. I am learning a lot from you guys, I only wish I had some Nirvana sailors around here to sail with. Capt. Crash & Boomer have been real a help. I'm glad to have found such a good thread.

Bud
BudE. is offline Find More Posts by BudE.