chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2012, 08:03 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,417 Posts
The Regatta is only hours away. It rained all day here so it will be nice and tropical...

But...we are in a severe drought so we will take it when we can...

I just got an email from our local weather girl and she wants to do a live broadcast....

I don't know when I will be able to update y'all since I only have my home computer...but I'll do my best...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old May 03, 2012, 08:30 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
Rained here. I took the new boat out in the rain. Sat under the pontoon canopy dry... And sailed in the rain. The sun came out a hour before sunset and man, I was sorry I didn't have my camera.

Landscaping pics? What? Post em where? We did some a few years back.
Lemme see if I can find links... I pulled some, where you want me, my blog?

Couldn't Attach from iPad, apple doesn't allow real computing power...
See on my Facebook?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8128156&type=3
rojoyinc is offline Find More Posts by rojoyinc
Last edited by rojoyinc; May 03, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old May 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoyinc View Post
Rained here. I took the new boat out in the rain. Sat under the pontoon canopy dry... And sailed in the rain. The sun came out a hour before sunset and man, I was sorry I didn't have my camera.

Landscaping pics? What? Post em where? We did some a few years back.
Lemme see if I can find links... I pulled some, where you want me, my blog?

Couldn't Attach from iPad, apple doesn't allow real computing power...
See on my Facebook?
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...8128156&type=3
I think boomer meant pappy2's landscape pictures.
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old May 03, 2012, 09:53 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
happy and many more b-days to pappy !!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2012, 04:59 AM
Yosef Sailor
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jul 2011
511 Posts
Happy Friday to everyone. Especially those making their way to Alabama for the Rigatta. I wish I could be there to meet in person all those that have helped me along the way in not only the upgrades to my Nirvana, but also in the building of my Seawind.

I hope everyone has a wondeful time and the weather is good.

I promise to post photos from my sons 7th Birthday party (laser tag), if you guys will post photos from the rigatta.

Wish I were there with everyone.

Happy Sailing and don't forget one thing.

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

David
dwatson is offline Find More Posts by dwatson
Old May 04, 2012, 06:54 AM
Joined Aug 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chidago View Post
happy and many more b-days to pappy !!!!
awe man, did you have to anounce that here too?

thanks John! your the best

Prom and all of its madness has over rode my birthday this year..... im supposed to get a birthday dinner tomorrow night or sunday morning breakfest.

at this point.. im thinking both..
Pappy2 is offline Find More Posts by Pappy2
Old May 04, 2012, 08:48 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,425 Posts
Pappy
Happy Birthday!!! Another year wiser!

I too trust all those fortunate enough to be able to attend the 1st ever Nirvana Regatta will have great sailing and fellowship! Any photos you boys can share will certainly be appreciated by those of us too far away to attend.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old May 04, 2012, 01:23 PM
Some Sculduggary is permitted
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jan 2012
395 Posts
Happy Birthday Pappy.
oldasa is offline Find More Posts by oldasa
Old May 04, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
390 Posts
thank you all for the wishes

MAN its quiet here today

.... you'd think theres a regatta or something going on......

sheesh
Old May 04, 2012, 02:29 PM
Piccolator
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jan 2002
430 Posts
I,m hooked... Get into and out of planes... After lots of great flights and even four huge sailplanes and wench launches.

Tried sailing and was ok.. Went again today and had a blast... Three hours all alone non stop. First hour was boring... 0 to 2mph. Flat water, I had to sail out 100 yards from the dock to get to the rippled surface area... Good idea, but couldn't see the boat well enough to enjoy it. Remindedme of why I got out of sailplanes. They fly so high you can't see them...
Wondered if I liked it.... Thought maybe because we need another boat... Little competition.

Wind picked up them slowly. Had 4 to 5 and wow what a blast. Changed for. S where trees blocked it to from the north toward me and it was clean and pretty steady. I see it's like flying stunner kites... The level of fun depends on the winds... Then after 30 minutes of pure bliss... It went to 5 to 7mph. Fun... But started to get some chop, wasn't as pretty... But different challenges. I found the nosing in issue is due to over sheeting in the stronger winds. I learned a lot and still enjoyed the stronger winds. Then dropped back to 4 to 5 and the chop calmed down, but winds were steady. It was so cool. Tacking up wind was like clockwork.... I was doing triangle and diamond patterns to keep it within 80 feet.
Just awesome... I'm gonna put some buys out.

Rechargables gave me no problem for three hours. Sometimes the rudder would be unresponsive... I at first though radio... Then inspected due to wondering... And sure nuff, weeds. Actually had this about four times.

So... I'm hooked. I keep wanting bigger. Does anyone here own a nirvana. And a vela? I'm thinking instead of a second nirvana I might buy a vela simply to try something larger. Is having two different boats a good idea? I know that if I share one... Might be nice to have a matched set.... But then I only have I type. Rather than matched racing... I'm thinking a little variety is better? Is the vela junk? Or decent? I read the thread and understand it needs some minor upgrades... But didn't sound like a major issue.

Thoughts?
rojoyinc is offline Find More Posts by rojoyinc
Old May 04, 2012, 02:45 PM
Joined Aug 2011
390 Posts
i bought my second Nirvana simply to have someone else sail along with me, and keep it on the same table.

there are a number of us that have more then one sail.

even a number more that have different brands.

im thinking of having a third Nirvana just to leave up north. and or to sell it to someone at the resort to get a club going

though many of the other boats are very cool, im very content with Nirvana. unless i can figure out how to get to germany and have $2000 in my pocket.

the second runner up, if i were to get another brand is the discontinued Yahama.

Old May 04, 2012, 03:07 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Jul 2011
1,657 Posts
IMHO bigger boats create more logistics problems and so I wind up sailing them less often. I own a Laser that I almost never sail. When rigged with the A sail, it stands about 7' tall. If you use a compact car there is almost no room for any other gear. I also have a vintage Marblehead with a 50" hull and a 7' mast that needs work and I just don't have any drive to do it because of it's size. I also have a 50" scale electric power boat that I love but it is a chore loading it and heavy carrying to the water. It just fits across the back seat of my car. The Nirvana is just the right size for me because I can put it in the car already rigged.

I know Crash has a large privateer sailing vessel he is contemplating selling because it is just to large and heavy.

I think if i were contemplating another boat i would do the opposite. I would get a Footie that I could leave in the car and sail at a moments notice when the weather is perfect and I have little time to enjoy it.

All at the regatta have a great time and I wish you fair winds and great companionship. I really would love to be there but John and Rob know the reason why I am not. Remember, If it's not fun it's not worth doing.

Bill

Almost forgot. Have a really great Bday, Pappy
sound sailor is online now Find More Posts by sound sailor
Last edited by sound sailor; May 04, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 03:14 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,425 Posts
Rojo
I had a Vela, nice boat once you make some modifications. There is a couple of very good threads that describe all the issues and the fixes the Vela has been reported to have.

If you join the Tower Hobbies super saver program and watch for their promotions you can buy a Vela for a very attactrive price. Having that been said, I prefer a Seawind to the Vela. That is strictly a personal preference and not snipe at a Vela.

I have owned a CF Seawind and currently own the ABS version. They sail just the same, but are a whole lot less money than the very hard to find CF version.

There are a number of nice larger boats to consider. I recently got a Proboat Serenity which is 36" long even though they call it a 1 Meter boat. It is a nicely made boat. Haven't put in the water yet do to moving to a new house, but will have it in the water in another month.

My personal favorite is the Yamaha RTW but they are true collector's items and will require a pretty good size budget. They are well worth the money but very very hard to find!

The Thunder Tiger boats are nice: Voyager and the other versions of it. See Tower Hobbies sailboat offering to see them all. They like the Seawind are sold as kits, so
you have to be a little handy to put them together.

There are the Hobby King boats: Monsoon, Phantom and others at very attractive prices. Take a look. I have a couple of Nirvana's and a number of other Sailboats and like to sail them all.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; May 04, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Old May 04, 2012, 04:07 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,456 Posts
Let us not forget the old pro, the Seawind..

Bill, glad to see you on the thread, brother..

You have been quiet lately

RCG Plus Member