cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:34 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
I received mine from SailRC today... isn't this thing supposed to come with some instructions? All I got was a boat in a box.

Wrathchild is offline Find More Posts by Wrathchild
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:53 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,572 Posts
You can do it!

All the parts have letters on them that correspond with where they go on the boat. Should take less than 30 mins. once it is unpacked. I have attached pdf files of the owner's manual and radio set up booklet.

Before you install the rudder shaft, you should lubricate it with lithium water proof grease. If you can a find tiny o-ring (hardware stores all have them) put one on the rudder shaft before you install it, slide it down to the top of the rudder. The o-ring provides a nice water barrier as does the grease. The grease is important for a number of obvious reasons.

If you ever need one, I have an extra sail servo and servo arm for this boat.

Have fun.
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 23, 2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added text
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:40 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Thanks for the help I was able to get it together without too much fuss. A few more days before I see for sure when I try to sail for the first time

My wife's first comment was "Looks nice. Who goes to get it when it tips over in the middle of the pond?".

We're renting a cabin in the NC mountains that is on a 3 acre lake that is also stocked with trout, bass, and bream. Fishing in the morning/evening and sailing through the day.. should be one relaxing weekend!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:49 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
.. and with that said, any first timer tips would be appreciated!

Everything I've read says this is a great boat, stable and responsive. Just how easy is it to tip too far, or how buoyant is it when you do?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:19 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathchild View Post
.. and with that said, any first timer tips would be appreciated!

Everything I've read says this is a great boat, stable and responsive. Just how easy is it to tip too far, or how buoyant is it when you do?
Can't be tipped.
Self righting
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:36 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,572 Posts
Relax, don't worry, be happy.

It won't tip over! Not to worry. The kinds of wind you will be sailing in, will not tip it over! In heavy winds, say above 12mph is possible to have a gust "knock it down" but it will right itself very quickly.

Really, it is more fun to sail in winds from 4 to 8mph. The boat will love those conditions and you will too.

An advanced sailor can sail a Nirvana in heavier winds, but it really isn't as much fun.

Here's a couple of photos of Nivanas in winds as I have suggested are ideal.

It is not a bad idea to have a golf ball retriever with you. I have one that extends to about 30 feet. (I hit a lot of balls in the water) Where I sail, "schmang" grows up from the bottom, and on occasion, it will snag the keel. I always have a power boat with me should I get stuck in the middle of the lake, but that has not happened yet. Mostly, the "schmag" is closer to the shore where it is not as deep. (Schmag is our name for what ever grows in the water and is another form of "moung")

Enjoy
Boomer
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:23 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
This boat will not sink and they are very hard to break....we've had them completely submerged with only the rudder showing after submarineing while running with the wind and with only the mast tip sticking out of the water after a logger head turtle actually pulled one under, we've even had one backed over by a jeep in the driveway and they are all still sailing. Here's a couple action shots.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:07 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,572 Posts
To see how really strong these boats are check out the video at post 558

Wrathchild,
For a good laugh, and to see examples of what experts are able to do with these sailboats, scroll back on this thread to post number 558. Hoghappy, or Capt. Crash as he is known by those who sail with him, has reordered some examples of his finest tactics for winning races, and has graciously shared them with us to learn from.

I have shared this particular footage with my sailing buddies and they all agree, that in just a few seconds of video you can learn some of the finest competitive sailing tactics ever seen. Soon, to become a training tool used in all sailboat racing schools.
Worth a few minutes.
Boomer
PS
In the last picture on the right in the previous post, you can see #88 applying one of these tactics, "capsizing your competitor"
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 30, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:06 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,460 Posts
lol....thanks Boomer....glad I could be of assistance....BTW....I got my name before any of those videos...it had to do with fast boats and the wall. The wall wins every time.
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Sep 30, 2010, 02:23 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,572 Posts
A great thing to make you smile

When ever I get to feeling a little blue, I go back and watch your video. I just start laughing and the blues are gone!
A classic piece of sailing history.
Boomer
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:27 PM
Just above a newb
Fort Mill, SC
Joined Sep 2007
756 Posts
Thanks for the video, I got a kick out of that! And now I'm not so worried about beating my boat up or sinking it.. the only reckless person I have to look out for is myself
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:50 AM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilleyen View Post
Question.
Is there any soldering etc. required or is everything sort of plug'n'play.
I plan on using an AR6000 receiver
To answer my own question, no soldering.
Pry the old receiver box loose, cut through the silicone, open the box, unplug the servos and battery lead and plug the appropriate leads into the AR6000.

Plug the battery lead anywhere, since you'll need the "Battery" pins for the biinding plug, works fine.
Will try it tomorrow, works fine at the moment.

Next mod, some fishing swivels on the sheet blocks to remove some drag on the lines.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 11:08 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,572 Posts
"Picture worth thousand words" Confusus

lilleyen,
I bet he'd appreciate some pictures to help him better understand your instructions/suggestions.
Since I am pretty simple, pictures are mandatory.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 02, 2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:49 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
[QUOTE=Hoghappy;8842418]
Nirvana II Racing Class Sailboat

INCLUDES: Megatech Nirvana II Sailboat with 2-channel FM radio, sail winch servo, all linkages and sheet lines full adjusted and pre-centered, wooden stand, decal sheet instruction manual

REQUIRES: AA Batteries: 12 each, 8 for transmitter, 4 for receiver

SPECS:
Length: 32"
Beam (Width): 7.75"
Height: 64"
Weight: 5.5lbs
Sail Area: 525"
Sailing Speed: 6 knots (7mph, 11kph)
Top Wind Speed: 20 knots (23mph, 37kph)
Radio Range: 1500' (457m)

Approximate Cost: $189.00 (plus batteries)

Sail Servo Trouble:

Stripping gears means you have to replace the servo:

Damon had a problem with his sail arm servo on Sunday. The gears stripped on it and he has to buy another. The reason, I think, is that the mainsheet tension was too tight. The servo was not allowed full swing. In the sheeted in position the servo could still have swung about a half inch more. He was letting a kid sail his boat who did not understand that when the sail is in it does not have to be pulled in constantly, but the adjustments were too tight anyway.
Quote:
The servo is capable of pulling about 138 inches of torque
, which is more than the gears in it will take, apparently. Make sure that the sheets are not tight like guitar strings when the sail is all the way in.

How will he have to replace the servo? I told him that a nice replacement is the HiTec 645 MG sail servo (about $40). It will drop right into the mount when he takes the old one out. He will have to cut the wire and install a plug to the receiver. The best thing to do with the sail arm is to use the new white plastic round piece that comes with the servo and shave down the sides so it will fit into the old sail arm. Then glue it in, West Systems Epoxy works well as John found out. Rough everything up with course sandpaper to make sure you get good contact.

[
D.4 - ELECTRONICS

D.4.1 RC Electronic Equipment - Electronic equipment, to include Transmitters, receivers, switches, battery holders, crystals, and servos may be changed or altered. See change dated 8/01/07 at end of rule.

D.4.2 Batteries - Batteries used must be AA cells, either alkaline, NiCad, or NiMH. Lithium batteries are not authorized.

Modifications/Clarification to Racing Rules as of 12/1/05

The following rules modifications, additions, and subtractions are in affect on this date.

D.4.1
Quote:
The sail servo may not exceed 120 oz. in. torque rating at 4.8 volts. Only sail arm winches are authorized
Snipped

Hi again HH,
Question:
Why do the regulations specify the maximum sail servo torque is 120 oz. when the original servo is 138 oz. as quoted above?
Old Oct 04, 2010, 01:52 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
lilleyen,
I bet he'd appreciate some pictures to help him better understand your instructions/suggestions.
Since I am pretty simple, pictures are mandatory.
Boomer
I'll see what I can do.
Anybody here know how I can post pictures?