Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy2 View Post
Bill

I'm fairly stupid so bear with me....

Are you referring to the slide control just below the control stick?

If so, I did tinker with that as well to no better result
Sounds to me like your rudder tube is askew.
Can you take a picture from the stern view?
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 01:58 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
If that sucker is not right - Call Steve!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Aug 2011
394 Posts
Alllllrighty.....

The mast is up.

How much tension should I be putting in the lines?

Next, the main line and jib line. I have placed the hook as pictured in the directions. 2nd hole nearest the big hole to let the line in. This appears too loose. I'll move it up, but my lack of understanding will prevent me from knowing the best spot. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Now, back to the rudder. I was just about to take some photos for bill when I noted that the rudder arm has threads. If my logic is serving me correct, I should disconnect and start screwing this in more to compensate for my being off. Does this sound like a sound plan? It seems I'd have to screw in a good ways. I will not do this until I get a good approval from you all.

Thanks kindly
Pappy2 is offline Find More Posts by Pappy2
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Just got in from the pond...more on that later....Pappy set your radio controls to center. Remove the servo arm, replace servo arm in a postition with the rudder as close to neutral as possible. Trim with the threaded rod if needed and then fine trim with the radio if you still need to. If done right your radio will be set to "0" or center and you will still be able to do the fine radio trim adjustments if it has that capability.

Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:13 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Pic of the pond this morning...
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Crash View Post
Just got in from the pond...more on that later....Pappy set your radio controls to center. Remove the servo arm, replace servo arm in a postition with the rudder as close to neutral as possible. Trim with the threaded rod if needed and then fine trim with the radio if you still need to. If done right your radio will be set to "0" or center and you will still be able to do the fine radio trim adjustments if it has that capability.

Crash
I knew I needed to do this, it just seems too logical. So I have started tweaking. However, now I'm wrecking the screw. I believe I have set ok enough for now and don't wish to further strip the screwhead. I'll ask if Steve has anymore, but would assume this is a normal item I can get at any hobby shop.

It still looks as though the hard right is inhibited. But it is much better.

I believe I have set the sheets good now as well.

I think I'm ready to go put it in our pool.

Pictures to follow
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Pappy...

...don't forget to take a small rat tail file to those holes in the booms where the sheets enter/exit. They are sharp and will fray the lines in a hurry...

Here is a pic of 2 Nirvanas and my 1 meter running up the pond.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 03:46 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy2 View Post
Alllllrighty.....

The mast is up.

How much tension should I be putting in the lines?

Next, the main line and jib line. I have placed the hook as pictured in the directions. 2nd hole nearest the big hole to let the line in. This appears too loose. I'll move it up, but my lack of understanding will prevent me from knowing the best spot. Any advice here would be appreciated.

Now, back to the rudder. I was just about to take some photos for bill when I noted that the rudder arm has threads. If my logic is serving me correct, I should disconnect and start screwing this in more to compensate for my being off. Does this sound like a sound plan? It seems I'd have to screw in a good ways. I will not do this until I get a good approval from you all.

Thanks kindly
Pappy
Have you tried using the rudder set screw to get the rudder in the right position? I center the servo and then set the rudder accordingly.
The rudder horn (that's the black thing with the set screw in it) can be positioned to either side, which may help the geometry issue.

You can adjust the clevis arm by turning in or out to fine tune the rudder setting - just one more tool in the box to use to get the rudder setting just right.

How tight should the shrouds and backstay be? A very good question.
The amount of adjustment on the shrouds is somewhat limited with the factory's method of adjustment. The backstay has more adjustment range.

The guys can chime in here but I found it was hard to get the shrouds tight enough for my tastes. Their purpose is to support and center the mast.
So there is your answer, they need to be tight enough to center it and to support it, but not so tight that is can be strummed like a banjo string.

The backstay is another tool for centering or titling the mast and supporting it. The mast on most of the Nirvana's I have seen have had he mast tilted back a few degrees from center - I'd start there and see how she sails.

As far as positioning the sheets - I suggest using the drawing below rather than one in the Nirvana's manual. You can see where each sail should be when they are fully in and out. Give that a try. Just try to mimic the drawing. I attached a picture of where I started out on the boom, about the same on the jib.

The Nivana's mast is really very self supporting as a result of it's design - other boats often require more support.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 13, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:06 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,439 Posts
Pappy...one more tip...you may be able to lossen the rudder horn (that's on the rudder shaft) and let the rudder slide down a little to give you more clearance with the hull. There is a set screw in the horn to allow for this....ok I'm outta here....

Crash
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
...don't forget to take a small rat tail file to those holes in the booms where the sheets enter/exit. They are sharp and will fray the lines in a hurry...

great pic's as always Capt. im getting closer to being able to do that.

i do not have a rat tail, but i did work at the sharpness. i will head to the hobby shop tomorrow and get a few items. and give it another cleaning.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
394 Posts
Boomer

thank you for the data. i will have another go at adjusting the sheets in the morning based on your photos. i have just plum ran out of time.

i did stick the boat in the pool, and i actually got it to sail on a reach.

i believe i have the rudder in a decent position now. i emailed steve as well, and he did send a very good reply. we are all on the same page, capt, you and I.

ill tweak more tomorrow

but here are a few pics
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:50 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,829 Posts
yellow boat

I wanna yellow one too..
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:08 PM
Joined Aug 2011
394 Posts
All the pictures you all posted, the yellow really stuck out. Steve had one so I went for it. It will also be great for a winter upgrade I have in mind

Chidago. I received your pm, please forgive, i can't today. If your around here tomorrow, I just might.

Thanks for the help everyone. Heading to supper

Peace
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:21 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
I do like that Yellow!! Hope I get it soon!
Nice backyard Pappy!

Boomer
Old Aug 13, 2011, 05:23 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,497 Posts
Quote:

Crash
How about posting this one on the "post your picture" thread? Great shot!
How are you likin the Yamaha?
Boomer