cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jul 05, 2011, 02:58 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Thanks Boomer...just out of curiosity, how long is the wait on a order from England?
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:05 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Rob
It may take a week give or take a day. They ship airmail, so it doesn't take long.
In the past I had been buying them from Radio Yacht Supplies from down under.
Great service, nice guy etc. but I found out I could buy direct from the source, and save some money.
I buy 5 at time and use them for the shrouds and back stay on all of my boats. I got the Pekabe fittings for the 2nd Yamaha I am building. They are really nice looking but a tad pricey.
If you look at the any of the recent pictures of my new Nirvana, you'll see them on there as well.

I get the SS leader and sleeves from http://www.southcreekshop.com/AFW-Su...essLeader.html

This link takes you to the correct page - any questions - give me a call
Boomer

Oh, the clevis you show are steel with some plating - might rust.............just sayin............
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:27 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
the peakabe Single Turnbuckle won't work on a nirvana. reason being is the hole needed is about a 1/8", or so. you would not have enough meat to safely hold the mast up. i use these on my USOM. too big for a nirvana. i get picked on for using them by the guys i sail with due to there weight.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:18 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
the peakabe Single Turnbuckle won't work on a nirvana. reason being is the hole needed is about a 1/8", or so. you would not have enough meat to safely hold the mast up. i use these on my USOM. too big for a nirvana. i get picked on for using them by the guys i sail with due to there weight.
Doom,
I am confused. I have installed them on two different Nirvana's, Seawind, Yamaha RTW, Monsoon and others. These rigging screws come in severals diameters, perhaps yours are larger??

There is no problem installing them on a Nivana. If it matters Crash is thinking of using them on his new Yamaha, not on his Nirvana fleet.

Look at the pictures below to see how nicely the Rigging screws or single turnbuckles work on a Nirvana. Chidago uses Great Plains non metallic style Clevis on his Nirvana. Many ways to get to a higher quality set up.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 05, 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:55 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,049 Posts
Aint that peekaboo stuff expensive? and does it do things better??

chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:01 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,049 Posts
Rick,
your boat looks soo nice now, re-striped and all..peekaboo fittings, etc..

When you gonna drop some of that first communion money for real sails?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:04 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Chidago
If you were to review my posting, you'd see my comment about the Pekabe being "a tad pricey" - again, we agree. Do they work any better? Only in that they can be unlatched with out unscrewing the turnbuckle.

Were you to see them in person, you'd see that they are very nicely made and why they are more expensive

Boomer
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:18 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,049 Posts
Uuum..so do the DuBro models, they are a snap fit..but, I just wanted to bust your stones a bit...

On a serious note, tho, git to gettin some sails, bro..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:00 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Me too.
I am still messing with my Nirvana with the stock sails to see just how well I can get it to sail.
A set of sails from Dennis will be the icing on the cake.
Boomer
Old Jul 05, 2011, 09:04 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,049 Posts
Cake gonna dry out with no icing on it, ya know...

Gotta do the deck, too, its lookin to nice now for all that tiller junk hangin out....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:35 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Doom,
I am confused. I have installed them on two different Nirvana's, Seawind, Yamaha RTW, Monsoon and others. These rigging screws come in severals diameters, perhaps yours are larger??
Boomer
Boomer click in the link in my post. it's the quick release ones i'm talking about. not the one on your nirvana. yours would be fine due to it using a piece of piano wire for the hook.

i went back to see if they come in smaller sizes, but only saw the one i use on my USOM. much too big for a nirvana. not to mention being $12.25. i forget if that was for 1, or 2. i think it was a pair.
Old Jul 05, 2011, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Chidago
If you were to review my posting, you'd see my comment about the Pekabe being "a tad pricey" - again, we agree. Do they work any better? Only in that they can be unlatched with out unscrewing the turnbuckle.

Were you to see them in person, you'd see that they are very nicely made and why they are more expensive

Boomer
i take it you still have a bowsie on your side, and aft stay lines? if so it kinda defeats having the turn buckle on the line. if not how do you remove the line without loosening the turn buckle? or do your sails stay rigged on the boat? mine come off at the end of the day.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 12:38 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
i take it you still have a bowsie on your side, and aft stay lines? if so it kinda defeats having the turn buckle on the line. if not how do you remove the line without loosening the turn buckle? or do your sails stay rigged on the boat? mine come off at the end of the day.
Doom
There is no need for bowsies with the rigging screws. They are fully adjustable thus replacing the bowsies.
There is a lock nut on each one that tightens against the top of the cylinder or barrel of the turnbuckle - Once you have adjusted the tension on each sheet and the backstay, you just spin the lock nut in place and you are done. Piece of cake!
To remove the mast, I hold the lock nut and spin the barrel - (which is stays attached to the hull.) and release the forestay hook (stock) and it's done.

When I am ready to sail it again, I just spin each barrel or cylinder on to the top of each rigging screw and the sails are tuned exactly as I had them before.

This what this little guys are designed for. Oh, they are not heavy. I still have a bowsie on the forestay.

If one wanted to install the Pekabe fittings you could use a shackle - or a stainless split ring that would attach to the Nirvana's factory block. I wouldn't use them on a Nirvana - but on a larger boat that was more sophisticated, for sure. (like the Yamaha RTW)

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jul 06, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:33 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Some good stuff here guys....I'm glad I asked about turnbuckles.

Ok...having soaked all this in and taken everything into consideration....here is my choice and why... not necessarily in order.

1. cost
2. color
3. style
4. ease of use
5. size/weight

1. As some of you know I'm the sole family income on social worker wages....I can't spend a lot...so I need to compromise on some of the cool but expensive things. Cost is a huge factor for me.

2. I don't like the look of the black or even brass fittings for the boat this is going on. The steel/alum is much more to my liking, it matches the stainless rigging it will be holding.

3 & 4. My boats are assembled and disasembled at the pond every time I use them...so I need a fast-n-easy way to put them together. This style allows for more than one way to remove the shrouds from the boat. I can unscrew the barrel or just pop open the clevis which is more to my liking.

5. The 2-56 size should be more than strong enough to handle the needs in my pond. We don't have strong winds as a general rule...and I like the look of the smaller size.

So there ya have it...I will be going with the Deluxe 2-56 pull pull system by Great Planes...

Thanks for all the work you guys did in posting all the info on these products.
Last edited by Capt.Crash; Jul 06, 2011 at 06:43 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2011, 06:42 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
I located another inexpensive alternative for the stays/shrouds. It has good reviews, and I have a Bass Pro Shop on the way home from work.

At $3.69 per 30’ of 30lb test with sleeves…this is a no brainer for me.

http://www.basspro.com/Malin-Malon7-...53195/-1015097

Here's the decription:

Malin's Malon-7 wire is comprised of seven individual strands that are sheathed in together in a nylon coating. The smooth nylon finish combined with the wire's superior strength and excellent flexibility makes Malon-7 a great choice for making all kinds of rigs and leaders. 30' pouch includes sleeves.