cloled 0 0%
closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 25, 2011, 07:31 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Consider these examples of possible "Nuggets" = Useful Tips you might otherwise not know.

Post #15 #54 #936 ,#948 to 955 Another would be to include the AMYA rules for the class. How to register your boat, how to join the AMYA

Vendors for hardware,

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 26, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2011, 12:02 AM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Nuggets

Another example of a good bit of info for new Nirvana owners.

Jib and Main sail closed position starting point.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 26, 2011, 07:33 PM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
897 Posts
Just got back from the lake - go Nirvana!!!
jimklein is offline Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:13 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
404 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll work on it as time allows.
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
Old Jun 26, 2011, 08:17 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,074 Posts
Had my turtle in the water today too..
chidago is offline Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 07:21 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
Hey guys...hope your weekend was good...

We had a very hot sail this weekend...winds were also very light and although I set up the race course, we never got a race up. I did get a few pics posted over at our club thread (see post # 934)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post18608491

Man...I'm ready for fall...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:16 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,074 Posts
Had a long chat with Steve Lang early this morning, about the jib sail mount stuff, and as He is also a accomplished sailor, and daddy of the Nirvana, here is his take on that thing.

He said that the jib sail LIFTS the bow, does nothing to push it down, period. In talkin with Dennis, he agrees..ALL model boats drop the nose..its a function of the wind pressure on the main,pushing against the mast to forward..of COURSE the nose is gonna go down.

So, F'n around with the jib mounting position aint gonna do anything much. boom adjustment will do more.

And moving the mounting aint legal.

The Lazer, which has no jib, will go under QUICK, he tells me.

you gotta learn to run the boat with enough hull speed to NOT let the nose go under, referring to the Nirvana.

And, I guess all thats true, most of the different style boats I have seen all will bury their noses at times, some run REAL wet.

My boat is not subbing because of the weight I put aft, and I do carry more speed with the panelled sails, so, its a mixture of the 2, plus a different keel bulb I had made months ago, which carries weight a little aft.

But, my boat is as illegal as can be, so, I cant say to do any of that stuff, except with the understanding you aint racing in a real event.

RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jun 27, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:28 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,074 Posts
Crash, fall is about a week away, cause spring never came..

Rick, Steve said he saw your Yellow boat on the bench..

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,074 Posts
Here is a Pic of Absent's boat, thanks to our resident expert, movie star, director, and producer of the WEEKLY MOVIE, World renowned, Crash.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:55 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,445 Posts
So...if I see a Nirvana stick it's nose up while passing me...I now know to ask if it's cheating!
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 27, 2011, 01:13 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,074 Posts
if its flyin the Italian flag...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jun 27, 2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:02 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Just walked in the door after a long weekend at the ranch, sailing and flyin.
(eating and drinking too)
I was wondering if the Super Nirvana has any bow diving issues? Wondering how the new keel affects the overall handling of the boat. After playing with my newest Nirvana this weekend, I realized how flexi the keel is. I guess I never payed too much attention to it before Dennis raised the issue.

The keel on my Yamaha was twice as flexible as the Nivana from the factory. Even back then during my earlier sailing years, I new that was wrong. It was very simple to fix as it's keel is made out of two pieces, so I just took them apart and layed in some matting and resin, and presto, no more wiggling around down there.

I was watching pretty closely this weekend to see if I could detect any sign of the fleix-keel in the boats handling. If it affects it, I can't see anything that would tell me. I suspect it does affect the speed as it wiggles it's way around the lake, like Dolpin. Now it's going to bug me until I fix it.

What's the latest from Dennis on a kit for this modification. If not a kit how about a drawing with some dimension? I am really for some glass work!

I would nice if yous guys take some pictures of your sail outings. Crash and I seem like we are the "lone rangers" here.

I like seeing the other boats in action. Jump in here boys. Pictures make the thread more interesting and colorful! Nice pic of the Mary Dean - looks like she got a nose job! Or needs one? Thanks Crash! I'd like to see the Super Nirvana in action!

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 27, 2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 03:34 PM
Joined Apr 2011
90 Posts
Thanks for the pics of the MaryDean-she is as stock as a six cylinder chebbie (except for the nose guard, and that is a must in our lake).Thanks to "CRASH" for the pics, the lessons learned and the entertainment of watching his UL 1--wow that thing is fast !!!IMO, it is fun to match up with the old tars on an even keel, stock basis, and try to stay side by side for a few laps. Also fun when us old army guys get an edge on the navy !!!!!
capt absent is offline Find More Posts by capt absent
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:27 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,074 Posts
Well, I'm Army too, been to the rice paddy.. and the bow guard is NEEDED with crash on the lake, we have video to prove that..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:08 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,516 Posts
Great opportunity - check it out

Not sure if anyone is interested, but there is a Tamiya Yamaha Round the World for sale on E-bay right now. One day left. Current bid is $345 which is well below it's value. This is one comes complete with all the goodies.

This is my personal favorite RC Yacht. It is one the best sailing RC yachts ever made. If you were fortunate enough to see one in person or better yet sail one, you'd understand my feelings about these boats.

Check it out.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 28, 2011 at 08:51 AM. Reason: request of Crash