chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:08 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Back at you John - Hope the cruise is going well!
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Jun 20, 2011, 10:34 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Found these comments from an old thread

I found these remarks quit by accident while doing a search - thought the comments might be of interest. Any thoughts or comments are invited,
Boomer

Templus has been inactive for some time now - I invited him to visit this thread if he was still interested.

Posted by Templus_Catticus Jun 22, 2007
"I own a much loved Nirvana II and she has the opposite tendency of the Seawind...the fixed jib pivot point throws the center of effort forward which is great for medium to higher winds but not so good in light airs where she tends to want to run to lee helm.

On the Nirvana, you can't change easily or make adjustable where the jib pivot deck fitting is...but you can rig the line to the jib boom itself by using a plastic connector that the computer guys use to secure cable in the back of the computer instead of a fixed tied knot to the jib boom..

Tighten this connector as much as you can and she will hold fast but still be loose enough to slide up and down the jib boom..

I know there are other ways to correct for center of effort (bending the mast etc.) but these do not cause enough of a change with the Nirvana.

However, with this adjustable jib pivot you can effectively move the boats center of effort more aft (slide the jib connector forward to move center of effort and jib boom further aft) for light winds or more forward for heavy winds and really notice the difference to get that "perfect" heel and tack angle.

Who knows? Could work in the Seawind too and help in heavier winds. ~TC "
Old Jun 20, 2011, 11:38 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
Hey guys...hope everyone had a great daddy day...

That jib boom "ziptie" idea sounds interesting...might be worth a try...
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:00 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
6,582 Posts
Yup, doesnt add weight, like I hadda do..

Talked with Dennis today, his final draft on the boat will be to me shortly, not as chopped as the first one, the information he used was to intermixed to understand what the boat in a out of the box statement to him as far as a evaluation standpoint. This is much clearer, and quite complimentary, I'm to understand.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chidago; Jun 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:06 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,582 Posts
Like this you mean...

RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2011, 12:44 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
365 Posts
O.K., let the newbie put his foot in his mouth. If I understood correctly, and I probably didn't, but instead of having the "hard" line to the end of the jig boom Templus was talking about using a 'cable tie' "sort of" loosely tied around the jib boom and the forward tie down so the boom would move one way or the other depending on the level of wind. If that is the case, could you put a second grommet on the forward end of the jig boom and let the cable tie be a little looser and allow it to travel between the two grommets giving you the same benefit?

Or am I just all wet?

Bob
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
Old Jun 20, 2011, 01:05 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblubaugh View Post
O.K., let the newbie put his foot in his mouth. If I understood correctly, and I probably didn't, but instead of having the "hard" line to the end of the jig boom Templus was talking about using a 'cable tie' "sort of" loosely tied around the jib boom and the forward tie down so the boom would move one way or the other depending on the level of wind. If that is the case, could you put a second grommet on the forward end of the jig boom and let the cable tie be a little looser and allow it to travel between the two grommets giving you the same benefit?
Or am I just all wet?
Bob

Bob
Not sure I understand your question? Are you saying to put another sliding gromment ahead of the "A" sticker on the jib boom to let the connection float between the two gromments?

As you can see from the photos of the Super Nirvana project, Dennis has done what Templus was suggesting, only in a more refined way.

I am easily confused and am just wondering what benifit we'd get from doing that?

Boomer
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:46 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
What I want to know is if this is going to help get the nose outta the water? If this serves to help lift the bow by moving the jib further forward (or do i have that backwards)....which in effect I think it does...then this may be the answer I've been looking for..
Old Jun 20, 2011, 02:56 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,582 Posts
Yes, in theory... look at the pic I posted above, uses grommet instead of cable tie, or course, looks better, and holds its position.

As far as the nose dippin, gotta try and see, the red race Nirvana doesnt dip, and it aint weighted, just the set up in the pic.

You could also remove the jib line mount point, and move it rearward, too..unscrew the two screws, and use the FRONT screw in the BACK hole, just as a experiment to see if it does affect the center of attack..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,443 Posts
If Steve could get the factory to send him some of the deck brackets, we could mount another one or two on the deck. Or we could incorporate a more traditional jib rack or rail like the ones in the pictures below. Just a thought. The way Dennis did it seems the easiest way to get there with out any other mods.
Boomer
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:28 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
Bob
Not sure I understand your question? Are you saying to put another sliding grommet ahead of the "A" sticker on the jib boom to let the connection float between the two grommets?

As you can see from the photos of the Super Nirvana project, Dennis has done what Templus was suggesting, only in a more refined way.

I am easily confused and am just wondering what benifit we'd get from doing that?

Boomer
Boomer,

I'm sorry, I did not recognize the line attaching the jib boom to the tie down via the grommet was in fact a "loosely tied" line [looked taught] (substituting for the) "electrical cable tie". This is where my foot got in my mouth.

However, yes, I was suggesting a second grommet, forward of the tag with the "A" on it and allowing the "electrical cable tie" to move between the two grommets. Of course a neatly tied line would 'look' nicer and accomplish the same thing. Sounds too sloppy now that I've been informed the picture is of a "loose" line between the deck and the grommet.

That's a newbie for ya!

Bob
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
Old Jun 20, 2011, 04:50 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,065 Posts
It isn't a Nirvana - but an RG65 and you can see another way to mount the jib-to-deck.

The white line from the jib goes down through the screw eyes and back to a cleat on one side of the hull. The grommet (front one) allows adjustment to move boom forward/aft as needed to balance and get jib boom parallel to the deck as well as close or open the jib "slot". Changing the white (Spectra) line through the screw eye locations allows for added mast rake and also allows the line to be loosened and the jib boom to sit higher from the deck for light winds. The black line tied to the aft grommet is the jib sheet controlling in/out of boom and one end of the line had not yet been trimmed for length. Just another way to allow jib boom adjustment and location.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Jun 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
6,582 Posts
Dick,
Thats looks elegantly simple. it would be VERY easy to adapt a piece of plastic u channel to the rib on the Nirvana deck, to accomplish exactly that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:11 AM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,428 Posts
Ok....it looks to me that the boom would be hitting the mast if it was moved as far aft as that pic above shows it could be moved...or is that an optical illusion?