RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2011, 05:04 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
New Nirvana owner - Welcome linnet!

We have another new owner, "linnet" from Malta, Victoria . I am sure everyone will extend their welcome to our new owner.

On the Vela thread we both follow, linnet posted this message regarding a topic we are all to familiar with. Any additional helpful thoughts I am sure will be appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnet View Post
Hey Boomer, i got my Nirvana 11, Sorry i am writing about the nirvana here, but please forgive me for the moment. I also took it down to the water and i must say i am fully satified with it. I only want to know if i am wrong to say that if it is possible i will change the original sail servo to a stronger one. Am i wrong to say that the original one lacks that power? The batteries are brand new, so is it the servo or it is natural that even in a sort of light wind when one sheets in the sail is not sheeting in to the decired possition? Please advice me if you know the real facts, as i am sure you do.. hehe. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
If it's a problem even in slight winds it sounds more like a problem of friction in the running rigging.

"linnet
Suggest we swing this conversation over to the Official Nirvana thread to help maintain continuity. A few "rabbit trails" are always going to happen, so it is not any major issue to respond.

I agree with Martin's response to your issue. While these boats are very easy to set up, there is learning curve to optomize the performance of this very fine boat. The short answer to your question about the factory sail servo is that the factory servo is not as strong as it could be. So, upgrading to a higher torque servo will enhanse you control significantly. I think we can help you tune up the sails so you can minimize the problem.

I will add more detail to this response on the Nirvana thread.

Congrats on the new Nirvana. What color did you get? I know you will enjoy it for many years to come.

See you on the Nirvana thread."

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 15, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2011, 06:25 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
linnet
What servos did your boat come with? I posted a few pictures of the servo trays in with different servo set ups. I purchased my new boat without electronics, so I could install my own. I opted to go with the Hitec HS 311 for the rudder & HS 645Metal Gear for the sail servo. They are higher quality and stronger than the factory servos.

Steve Lang at Sailrc.com offers these as an upgrade option. The other pictures are of Crash's and Chidago's set ups. Crash's boat appears to still have the original factory sail servo, but it is an earlier vintage than yours, not sure what comes in the new boats. Chidago opted to go big and modified the tray to accept a jumbo Futaba sail servo in his boat.

There are a number of basic little things you can do to make things operate with less drag and no snags. Most of us file down any burrs we see on plastic deck parts and use properly sized drill bit to clean out the guide holes to remove any burrs that might be present. Make sure there are no rough surfaces on the two blocks the lines run through as they come out of the servo box.

On my new boat that little hole must of had a burr on it, because the factory line snagged the first time I operated the servos. I just pulled out all the factory black "string" as I call it and replaced with a new Spectra like lines.

Go back a few post to see photos of the changes I made in the last few days.

Take a few pictures and post them of how you've got your boat set up. We can tell more by seeing what you've done so far.

The factory servos should be able to control the sails in normal wind condition with no issues. Check the lines out for snags. Let us know if you find any.

Boomer
Old Jun 16, 2011, 09:36 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2009
7,012 Posts
Rick,
since ypu posted the pic of my box, if you look closely, you can also see the re-drilled exit hole for the lines, makes it a much straighter shot out of the box, and I believe Crash did the same...
chidago is online now Find More Posts by chidago
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:43 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Message forwarded from the Vela Thread

From Linnet
QUOTE=linnet,
Thanks Boomer, thanks Martin see you on the other side.[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:41 PM
Malta, Victoria
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Thanks Boomer for introducing me to your friends here, and so Hi everybody, and i am sure you are all good friends. Thanks again. Boomer at the moment i am in a bit of a hurry, so i will sent photos later, but my impression after hearing your comment about rigging and saw pictures of upgrades is that i have to improve my rigging lines first and maybe drill a small hole so that the lines comes out strainght and short out of the box. This will be my first priority. So please if you can mention any site from where i can find these Spectra lines is good for a start. I will send pictures later. I will never exclude not to upgrade the sail servo, but at the same time i will prefare not to do any modification to the box layout, if this is possible. We talk about this next time. Thanks for the moment. By the way the boat is red.
linnet is offline Find More Posts by linnet
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:28 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshaker View Post
Was looking on the web for a source for spectra, found this kite line outlet, at least you can buy in 100ft lengths instead of 100m and appears less expensive. White only.
www.goodwinds.com
SS
Skyshaker on thread #1477 provided us with a site that sells Spectra line. I pasted his suggestion in for you above.

As your time permits, it is worth going back to the begining of this thread to read some of the good information that has been posted over the years. It will take some time, but I think you would find it worth it.

You don't need to read every posting - but you'll find topics of interest and worth reading. There are a number of "rabbit trails" on what may seem unrelated chat, but some of it is interesting and some not so much. All in the name of fun and keeping this great thread alive.

There is some info that has been shared several times for newer owners, but still can be interesting.

Crash started the thread years ago, and amazingly it is still pluggin along. These great little boats have stood the test of time, I think because they are such a great value to those interested in getting into this hobby, and too, they are enough fun to keep our interest years after we purchased them.

Anyway, happy to have you on board.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 16, 2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:59 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Hello linnet and welcome to the Nirvana thread. There are some powerful ways to find information on this thread without reading all of the posts. Once you are here in this thread you can use the seach function and seach just in this thread. The search is located to the far right up ^ on one of the Blue bars. You can also click on some of the pictures and find all the pictures on the thread along with the ability to look at the post that included a particular picture. Good luck with your new boat!

Dave
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jun 16, 2011, 10:10 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Here is a photo with black stripping - faux port holes - it doesn't look too bad. This is the first attempt - it needs some tweaking to get it right - I included one photo of my first try with a simple blue line. I do like the thicker stripe.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 16, 2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:04 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,012 Posts
I like the black STRIPING myself..
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:54 PM
Malta, Victoria
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
Thanks Phoenex for your advice, i am sure that this thread is going to help me a lot. I am trying to post some pictures, hope i will succeed. I already have uploaded them , hope i am doing the right thing. i see what happens now when i push submit.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
Danville, IN
Joined Apr 2008
402 Posts
Has linnet got his boat stand upside down?

Bob
rblubaugh is offline Find More Posts by rblubaugh
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:18 PM
Malta, Victoria
Joined May 2011
9 Posts
No rblubaugh, i added another strip of wood on top of the other, because the bulb was touching the ground. You mean i might have done a better job, eh, hehe, but well the stool is not much to my concern. See you.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 04:23 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,514 Posts
Sail set up tips

Linnet
The lines I can see in the photos all look fine and I see no obvious issues or snags. It looks like you have your main sail set on the 7th hole on the boom, try moving to the 5th hole. I can't tell but the jib boom may need to be moved back a hole or two as well.

Check out the page 7 in the owner's manual to see their guide for proper sail trim settings. The manual suggests 3 degrees off center for the main and the same for the jib. The illustration doesn't match their suggestions, so it is a bit misleading.

I like my main and jib out just about the same amount. The illustration in the book has the main very close in, compared to the main.

I have attached a word document that has scan of a page out of the owner's manual for my Yamaha RTW that provides a much better illustration of how you should set your sails.

This is a part of the fun of dialing in your boat. Once you get your set up dialed in, I would be surprised if the stock sail servo didn't handle normal wind conditions.

If it doesn't you may consider contacting the place where you got the boat or calling Steve Lang as Sailrc.com - He is a great guy and will be able help you.

Bob is correct, your boat stand is upside down. Consider adding some foam to the legs of the boat stand that come in contact with the hull or the wood will scratch it.

You did fine on posting your pictures! My first Nirvana was Red too, I really enjoyed it. I am into blue, but would like to have a yellow one at some point.
I included a couple of photos just for fun.

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Jun 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old Jun 18, 2011, 07:40 AM
SOCIAL CLUB MEMBER
Joined Dec 2009
7,012 Posts
The thread is 101 pages and climbing!!

How much better does it get..

RCG Plus Member