closed 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 09, 2008, 02:58 PM
A beginner - believe me
Derby U.K
Joined Nov 2006
36 Posts
Hoghappy,

I forgot to say that the jib boom end attachment is an uphaul line. It acts in the opposite way to the kicker on the main boom. Instead of putting tension into the sail as with the main boom it takes it out of the leech of the jib. It allows me to match the curves of both jib and main. It is attached via a bosie to where the jib stay meets the hounds.

Again, I'm not sure it is strictly within the rules

Cheers,

firstfooty
Firstfooty is offline Find More Posts by Firstfooty
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2008, 03:19 PM
**NOT GUILTY**
Millbrook, Alabama
Joined Jun 2004
6,452 Posts
Thanks for the info Firstfooty... The rules on the first post here mention downhauls and topping lifts being allowed, but no mention of uphauls.

D.2.2.3 Sail & Rigging Adjustments - Rigging of out hauls, down hauls, halyards, topping lifts, and boom vangs is to the owners discretion. See change dated 8/01/07 at end of rule.

.2.2.3 Topping lifts may be installed on the aft end of either the main or jib boom. The jib boom may not be weighted.

Capt. Crash
Capt.Crash is offline Find More Posts by Capt.Crash
Old May 16, 2008, 08:16 PM
Bham,AL.
Joined Aug 2007
448 Posts
I stuck a small video recorder on my nirvana today. I have been curious to see what it would look like to be onboard.

Nirvana II onboard camera. (1 min 13 sec)
fx1mark is online now Find More Posts by fx1mark
Last edited by fx1mark; May 16, 2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old May 16, 2008, 11:02 PM
West Lafayette, IN
Joined Sep 2004
26 Posts
Thats really neat! It almost looks like you're on a real boat, except I've never keeled over quite that much in a 40' Cabin cruiser. Where did you get the camera stuff?
aero528 is offline Find More Posts by aero528
Old May 16, 2008, 11:40 PM
Bham,AL.
Joined Aug 2007
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero528
Thats really neat! It almost looks like you're on a real boat, except I've never keeled over quite that much in a 40' Cabin cruiser. Where did you get the camera stuff?
the video recorder I got at aiptek for $20.

http://www.aiptek.com/

look under pencams. it's low quality but almost disposable.
and just made a little mount for it.
fx1mark is online now Find More Posts by fx1mark
Old May 17, 2008, 10:12 AM
West Lafayette, IN
Joined Sep 2004
26 Posts
Not bad at all for 20 bucks. Pretty small, too. The video isn't honestly that bad for youtube, and just messing around, though. I might have to look into one.
aero528 is offline Find More Posts by aero528
Old May 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Here's another Nirvana onboard video:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757533
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters
Old May 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
Hendersonville WNC
Joined May 2008
123 Posts
Nirvana arrived today.

Ordered Nirvana Wednesday and came home for lunch and it was sitting on my porch, never expected till next week but have it together and will go sailing tomorrow. Only problem I have is that I ordered blue and they sent yellow but I can live with that. Think it took longer to unpack than to put it together. The only thing I don't like it the little plastic bowser to adjust the shrouds, must be some kind of small turnbuckle or something similar that you can put on the chainplate to adjust them. The bowser is ok for the other adjustment and I can live with what I have till I get sailing and know what I really need to tune the rig.
Greysquirrel is offline Find More Posts by Greysquirrel
Old May 23, 2008, 04:16 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
goto your local dicks, or fishing store, and get some steel leader, and leader crimps. some people use pieces of brass tubing, but for me they aren't as strong. it's up to you. then your lhs, and get some shrink tube big enough to make contact about half way down the clevis, or use some fuel tube, 4-40 nuts, clevis clips (du-bro # 304), and 4-40 rigging couplers (du-bro #618).

pass the steel leader threw the mast crane long enough to reach the chain plates plus 6". double it back to the spool, and cut the wire so you now have 2 equal leads from the mast crane. slip a leader crimp over both wire, and slide it to the mast crane. crimp it twice 90 degree from each other. feed both wires threw the (not sure what it is called but...) thing the original wires went threw. put a crimp on the wire, and a piece of shrink tube/fuel tube, then the rigging couplers, and back threw the crimp. attach the clevis to the chain plate, and then do the other side. put a nut on both rigging couplers then the clevis clip. thread the rigging couplers so they just start to show threw the clevis clips. attach the clevis clips to the chain plate on both sides. slide the crimp down kinda tight making the mast look as straight as you can. at this point crimp the crimps.

now do your final adjustments to snug up the 2 shroud lines keeping the mast straight. don't let go of the rigging couplers, or they will unthread themselves. snug down the nut. remove the clevis to let it untwist itself. put it back on the chain plate cut off excess wire, and slide the shrink tube/fuel tube down on the clevis clip, and poof. your done. now you have a repeatable setup. you could do the same to the stern line, but would have to add the bowsi and string for adjustment.

just thought of something. use 2 different color pieces of shrink wrap/fuel tube so you put the clevis to the proper side. they should be of equal length, but better safe than sorry.

heres a pic of mine.
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old May 23, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hendersonville WNC
Joined May 2008
123 Posts
Thanks Doom, you're full of good advice, first you set me straight on what not to buy, then tell me where to get the best price, and now this rigging advice your OK no matter what your brother says, just kidding don't beat up on your brother.
Again thanks for the tip.
Greysquirrel is offline Find More Posts by Greysquirrel
Old May 23, 2008, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
i'm here to help. i try to give back when i can.

Jerry
Old May 26, 2008, 02:32 PM
Canada, Quebec
Joined May 2001
51 Posts
Question?

Hey guys,

I’m ready to order a Nirvana II sailboat but can’t decide between the original RTR and the “Choice” version offered buy SailRc.
The “Choice” has a Zebra radio and a Hitech 645MG servo. The original Nirvana has a FM radio and also a metal gear servo. I’ve search the net for information on the zebra radio; only found an AM 27mhz version…is it the one?
Anyone here got a “choice” version to comment about?

Great tread
Thanks
Alman is online now Find More Posts by Alman
Old May 26, 2008, 03:59 PM
Footy USA 30
Joined Apr 2005
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing
goto your local dicks, or fishing store, and get some steel leader, and leader crimps.
What Doom said, except I would use Steelon leader (nylon coated steel wire) which is less inclined to tangle when off the boat. 20# test should be sufficient for a Nirvana.

According to UPS, my "Naked Nirvana" (no radio--lord knows I've got enough of THEM laying around) from SailRC.com is in Buffalo awaiting delivery tomorrow.

Doom, watch your email later this week for an outline of something I'm thinking of doing later this summer.

--Doug
DougHemi is offline Find More Posts by DougHemi
Old May 26, 2008, 09:48 PM
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
Doug you back home now? glad to see your on the mend. everyone in the club, and on race night asks, and wonders how your doing? glad to see your back online.

yup thats the stuff i use. not sure if it's steelon, or not but it's nylon coated steel wire.
Old May 26, 2008, 10:38 PM
Joined Dec 2006
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alman
I’ve search the net for information on the zebra radio; only found an AM 27mhz version…is it the one?
The Zebra I received from from sailrc last year is 75mhz and works fine. You could contact sailrc for more information.
jpatters is offline Find More Posts by jpatters