HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2009, 06:31 PM
Canada, SK, Prince Albert
Joined Aug 2006
674 Posts
So I've never built an ARF and I have no instructions. Is there a good or specific thread I can look at? Questions like do I epoxy the engine support in, what angle of thrust or is it even changeable? I have lots of questions most will probably answer themselves as I begin, but thats probably a month or so down the road.Anyway will be watching this thread thanks Harold
fairplane is online now Find More Posts by fairplane
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2009, 07:35 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
MaxfordUSA'a website has what little there is of an assembly guide in pdf format.

Did you get yours from Maxford or somewhere else? I just noticed someone is selling these on Ebay. They're coming up one after another and selling for about $70 plus $34 shipping. Even with the shipping that still seems like a deal if it's the League Model version. Sure looks it from the sellers pictures. If I had half a brain I 'd get another one...but I don't.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Nov 14, 2009, 03:21 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I did the T-tail brace mod today. The braces are 5/16" airfoil-shaped aluminum tubing covered in Cub Yellow Monokote. The color is actually not quite a perfect match but it was the closest I had on hand. Looks good enough in pics and from a few paces away.

kendall
Old Nov 14, 2009, 04:10 PM
Joined Aug 2006
674 Posts
I bought mine from a fellow on RC Universe. Its brand new in box- looks like the lighter version. I was looking on E-bay all the time and have never seen a neptune-what categorie? So the tail mod did you use 1 bolt with nut through the vertical stab? Harold
Old Nov 14, 2009, 05:43 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
They're coming up in a search for "seaplane" in the Toys and Hobbies catagory. Here's the one that's posted right now.

Neptune on Ebay

The braces are each held by a separate wood screw. A single bolt is a good idea though. I didn't even think of it.

kendall
Old Nov 14, 2009, 11:01 PM
Joined Aug 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
They're coming up in a search for "seaplane" in the Toys and Hobbies catagory. Here's the one that's posted right now.

Neptune on Ebay

The braces are each held by a separate wood screw. A single bolt is a good idea though. I didn't even think of it.

kendall
Cool- now I have a picture to compare the parts to- It looks like the only thing missing from mine are the clevises-other than that it is identical to mine!
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:49 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
920 Posts
"The braces are each held by a separate wood screw. A single bolt is a good idea though. I didn't even think of it.

kendall"

Hi Guys,
On my Seamasters, I drilled a hole large enough for a 1/4" piece of dowel and glued in place. I attached my tail supports to those dowels with a small screw. Made my supports from carbon fiber rods with a small wire loop on the end for the screw. Worked fine and was very strong.

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Nov 15, 2009, 02:03 PM
Joined Aug 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post
"The braces are each held by a separate wood screw. A single bolt is a good idea though. I didn't even think of it.

kendall"

Hi Guys,
On my Seamasters, I drilled a hole large enough for a 1/4" piece of dowel and glued in place. I attached my tail supports to those dowels with a small screw. Made my supports from carbon fiber rods with a small wire loop on the end for the screw. Worked fine and was very strong.

Joe
So are these extra supports necessary? Was there a problem with the tail or is this just precautionary?
Old Nov 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I've never heard of any problems with the tail. It just seemed like a good idea to me. You could probably chaulk it up to fixing something that's not broken, but it's a light weight mod and easy to do. Can't really see a down side to it.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Nov 15, 2009 at 04:05 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 05:58 AM
MaineFlyer
Augusta, Me
Joined Feb 2005
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane View Post
So are these extra supports necessary? Was there a problem with the tail or is this just precautionary?
I did mine because a friend that flies a Seamaster said it was necessary. I have seen some with the supports and some without. Never seen any have trouble.

It does make the tail group more stable. So I believe it is worth it.

Joe
jpgilbert is offline Find More Posts by jpgilbert
Old Nov 17, 2009, 08:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgilbert View Post
I did mine because a friend that flies a Seamaster said it was necessary. I have seen some with the supports and some without. Never seen any have trouble.

It does make the tail group more stable. So I believe it is worth it.

Joe
Well it looks good too. So on the Neptune- do you epoxy the wing halfs together? I also noticed they give you 2 little covers to hide the wing bolts-wonder what they use to hold them on? Any ideas-Harold
Old Nov 18, 2009, 04:38 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
I got the "heavier" version, I guess, so my wings are different than the ones I see in the pics on Ebay and such. My spar is a tripple layer of 1/8" ply with holes to accept the leading edge tie-down pins. The instructions say to epoxy the halves together but I haven't done it yet. I'm still toying with the idea of making the wing halves detachable for transport. And I didn't get those little cover thingies for the wing bolts.

kendall
Old Nov 18, 2009, 08:33 PM
Joined Aug 2006
674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
I got the "heavier" version, I guess, so my wings are different than the ones I see in the pics on Ebay and such. My spar is a tripple layer of 1/8" ply with holes to accept the leading edge tie-down pins. The instructions say to epoxy the halves together but I haven't done it yet. I'm still toying with the idea of making the wing halves detachable for transport. And I didn't get those little cover thingies for the wing bolts.

kendall
Let us know if you make the halves detachable. That would be great if it could be done and not jeopardize the strenght of the wing. I want to be able to take mine on the boat and the more compact the better! My wing joiner is a solid piece of ply- no holes-Harold
Old Nov 18, 2009, 09:09 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
This is what mine looks like installed in half the wing. My thought is that I can epoxy this half permanently. Then I just need to figure out a way to secure the other front tie-down pin either without engaging the joiner or engaging it in some removable fashion. Maybe swap it out for a CF rod with a threaded coupler and stick a blind nut in that hole in the joiner. May have to add an anti-rotation pin back toward the TE too. Haven't really tested any ideas yet.

kendall
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:08 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Detachable wing halves

I took the easy way out rather than fuss with a threaded retaining pin and blind nut as I mentioned above. I drilled a block of 1/4" ply to accept the pin and epoxied it against the wing joiner box and second rib. Now the joiner can slide in and out of the other wing half just like the wing tube on my Pulse 60. I reinforced the inside of the LE where the pin comes through with a nice foamy pool of PU glue. I also put a 1/8" CF rod anti-rotation pin toward the TE though it's probably not entirely necessary with the way the wing bolts into the saddle.

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Nov 20, 2009 at 12:48 PM.