Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 02, 2008, 02:12 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Discussion
Electrifying a Neptune Seaplane - help please!

Hi Guys,

My wondeful wife was good enough to give me a Neptune Seaplane
http://www.paragonrc.com.au/4.html

for Xmas, and I'm planning on flying it electric. I have an Emax 2826 which is a very sweet looking Axi clone and it provides about 3 kilos of thrust on a 13 inch prop from memory, so should be perfect.

Now mounting the motor shouldnt be a problem. I have ordered an adjustable mount which should make it easy to fit inside that pod at about the right place.

The problem is, I'm not sure where the rest of the gear will go. Has anyone done the Neptune electric?

I'm wondering where your suppossed to put the battery and ESC. Do you put the ESC in the pod, and then run long leads down into the fuse for the battery?
IF so, how do you get them to fit, because there is no way that the battery leads plus the receiver lead from the ESC is going to fit down that thin channel designed for one servo lead.

I'm wondering where the guys who have done it, have put the battery anyway. There doesnt seem to be room in the fuse, unless you put it right up the front somehow. I noticed in the video on the net http://rcuvideos.com/item/83DCTMLXCHC93T19
that there seems to be a forward hatch. There is not in my version, only an aft hatch near the vertical stablizer. Is this how the old version was, or has this hatch been added to fit the battery perhaps??

I'm going to have to use long leads somewhere. I can just have the motor up in the pod and run long motor leads down to the ESC in the Fuse, or I can fit the ESC in the pod with the motor and run Long battery leads down to the battery in the fuse. ( although I'm not sure how I'm going to do this because the channel doesnt seem big enough for all these wires). But which is the best option for long leads - motor to ESC or ESC to battery? I think there will be cooling issues with a big 60 amp ESC humming away in that watertight fuse anyway....

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated?

Cheers,
Paul
Tailgunner1 is offline Find More Posts by Tailgunner1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2008, 02:52 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,965 Posts
I haven't done an e-conversion on the Neptune, but I did one on a similar sized model of the Seawind.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660997

I put the ESC up on the pylon with the motor and ran the two power leads through the pylon to the fuselage. I think you may be able to run the power leads along the outside of the Neptune pylon and into the fuselage. You will probably need to cut a hatch in the front of the fuselage for the batteries to be able to get the CG in the right place. Hope this helps.

Mike McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jan 02, 2008, 03:31 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Thanks Mike, I'll enjoy having a read of that Seawind review shortly. And that sounds like the way to go with the Neptune, thanks

Paul
Old Jan 02, 2008, 05:43 AM
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Paul, you will have to include the ESC to receiver wiring along with the battery wiring.
My Drake II has the wires in a 1/16 ply covered slot in the pylon. The ESC was water proofed at CC and worked fine in a radial cowl arrangement.
'Corrosion X' the ESC and use the next gauge size larger wires for the extended battery leads.
You will no doubt use a standard separate air borne battery arrangement for servo/ receiver power.
It may be necessary to fabricate a front hatch in your Neptune.
I have a Sea Cruiser in process that routes all the wiring through a passage in the pylon. It has a geared ASTRO 40 and the ASTRO 112 ESC in the pylon.This design has a forward hatch for the servos and std battery pack. I am using niMH batteries for motive power and they will be accessible from the wing bay.
Flowers to your dear wife !!!! art
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Jan 05, 2008, 03:55 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Thanks Art,

Might have to get creative with the Pylon to fit some more wires down it. I'm not planning on a seperate battery pack for the receiver, just going with a 60amp ESC with BEC and an Axi 2826 Clone by Emax ( they seem to be very nice motors)

Paul
Old Feb 02, 2008, 04:44 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
I finally got some wire and it seems that I can get the extended battery leads down the slot in the pylon with the extended receiver wiring.

Can the battery leads cause any problems with the receiver wires, as in electrical noise or something??

Paul
Old Feb 02, 2008, 02:16 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,965 Posts
Gunner,
I'd recommend a seperate RX battery pack and lifting the red wire out of the ESC servo connector. That way you would be assured not to get any interference. That ESC will struggle to run 3-4 full size servos and you don't want the RX to lose power.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2008, 06:51 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Mike,

Is that all I need to do, to cancel out the BEC and use a seperate battery pack with my ESC - just remove the red wire to the ESC (or rather, remove the wire from the servo extension lead that I will run up to the pylon to the ESC)?

Cheers,
Paul
Old Feb 05, 2008, 02:04 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
If you are careful, you can use a micro screwdriver to pry up the little plastic tab that holds the red pin in place, and slide the red pin out of the plastic case and heatshrink or tape it back along the other wires. This is less permanent in case you wish to use the BEC in this ESC later in another build.

Even if it's an extension, I hate to "cut" a wire out of it if there's a better way.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Old Feb 05, 2008, 03:50 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
4,965 Posts
Dave's suggestion is a good one. And yes, that's all you need to do to use a seperate battery pack.
Mike McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2008, 06:39 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Thanks for your tips guys. I finally got round to finishing it LOL, and your tips were helpful.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post10265933

In short, I'm very happy with my first seaplane
Old Aug 07, 2008, 11:56 PM
Joined Feb 2008
34 Posts
Neptune seaplane

I read on one of these forums that you should NEVER lengthen the wires between the battery and the ESC, lengthen the wires between the motor and the ESC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgunner1
Hi Guys,

My wondeful wife was good enough to give me a Neptune Seaplane
http://www.paragonrc.com.au/4.html

for Xmas, and I'm planning on flying it electric. I have an Emax 2826 which is a very sweet looking Axi clone and it provides about 3 kilos of thrust on a 13 inch prop from memory, so should be perfect.

Now mounting the motor shouldnt be a problem. I have ordered an adjustable mount which should make it easy to fit inside that pod at about the right place.

The problem is, I'm not sure where the rest of the gear will go. Has anyone done the Neptune electric?

I'm wondering where your suppossed to put the battery and ESC. Do you put the ESC in the pod, and then run long leads down into the fuse for the battery?
IF so, how do you get them to fit, because there is no way that the battery leads plus the receiver lead from the ESC is going to fit down that thin channel designed for one servo lead.

I'm wondering where the guys who have done it, have put the battery anyway. There doesnt seem to be room in the fuse, unless you put it right up the front somehow. I noticed in the video on the net http://rcuvideos.com/item/83DCTMLXCHC93T19
that there seems to be a forward hatch. There is not in my version, only an aft hatch near the vertical stablizer. Is this how the old version was, or has this hatch been added to fit the battery perhaps??

I'm going to have to use long leads somewhere. I can just have the motor up in the pod and run long motor leads down to the ESC in the Fuse, or I can fit the ESC in the pod with the motor and run Long battery leads down to the battery in the fuse. ( although I'm not sure how I'm going to do this because the channel doesnt seem big enough for all these wires). But which is the best option for long leads - motor to ESC or ESC to battery? I think there will be cooling issues with a big 60 amp ESC humming away in that watertight fuse anyway....

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated?

Cheers,
Paul
xracer is offline Find More Posts by xracer
Old Aug 08, 2008, 12:59 AM
S.E Queensland Australia
Joined Jan 2006
704 Posts
Hi Xracer,
I'm pretty sure I'v heard that too, but still, I know that everyone who does an electric conversion on the Seamaster/Neptune, does it, so I did too

Seems to be running fine so far...

Paul
Old Aug 08, 2008, 01:01 AM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Not quite correct I'm afraid.

Hi xracer

Here's my twa bawbees worth, or 2 cents in euromoney/dollars,
The ESC is a high frequency switching device that controls motor rotation in direction and speed/frequency by switching. A battery is a power supply, in our situation a DC direct current, +- potential difference, voltage device.
An ESC cares not one iota or jot where it gets it's power supply from.
i.e. if your ESC requires 11.1 volts or 55volts DC or any nominated value in between, you can arrange the power supply to have leads/conductors as long as required, provide you achieve the correct voltage at the ESC input terminals and have leads/conductors sized in area to carry the required current, Amps. I have personaly used extended power leads up to 40 inches / 1 meter in length. With no adverse effects so far. I would not, however extend the three leads from ESC to motor, as much, thats where the length would be more critical.
Modern ESC have the inbuilt and preprogrammed functionality to best guess the power supply type, by the voltage, i.e. NiCd, NiMh, LiIon and LiPo cells, it takes the voltage value and slots it into a preprogrammed value.
Now I may be incorrect, and would welcome an understandable explanation, but I wouldn't go as far as saying "Never" extend the power supply leads.
Cheers Al
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid
Old Aug 26, 2008, 02:48 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Hey, guys. Just came across this thread after posting to one in the e-conversion forum that was quite a bit older. I got a couple good responses, but I'm gonna throw it in here too since I'll be going through the same thing (not) soon enough.

Okay, I've been in Afghanistan for the past 7 months and I've got about a month and a half to go, but I just bought myself a Neptune as a homecoming present. To me an E-conversion is the only way to go.

Anyway, I知 working on some assumptions as I知 putting together the power system and I wanted to run it by someone before I started buying stuff. First, as a baseline I知 using the figures published in FlyRC痴 August 2007 review which used a .46 2c glow engine swinging an APC 11x7 @ 11,000rpm. Putting that through a basic prop calculator yields around 88oz of thrust with a pitch speed of 73mph. Second, I知 a big fan of Scorpion motors so I値l using one of them. Right now I知 leaning toward a 3032-10 (820Kv, 7.8oz, 68A/1200W published max) on 5 cells. Using Scorpion痴 propriety Motocalc-type thing I get the following at 17.5V:

Prop:-----RPM/ Current/ Power/ Thrust/ Pitch Speed
APC 11x5.5: 12,000/ 45A/ 796W/ 100oz/ 63mph
APC 11x7: 11,800/ 52A/ 904W/ 101oz/ 78mph
APC 12x6: 11,300/ 62A/ 1078W/ 137oz/ 64mph

On the computer all that looks just super to me. I知 a little conflicted about what the AUW is going to be though. The Neptune manual gives a empty/dry weight of 1650g (~3.5lbs?!). Is that right? Because if it is I値l be adding about 40-42oz of gear and coming in right around 6lbs and making 130-180W/lb. I was expecting it to be a hair over 7lbs. If that AUW guestimate could possibly be close then I may re-think by whole setup. I mean, I like power as much as the next guy, but I could lighten it even more and drop down to 4 cells with a higher Kv motor and shoot for more like 700-750W tops. Thoughts?

BTW, the only other balsa bird I have is a Telemaster Electro. No gassers. Everything else is the scratch built blue foam stuff that everyone seems to make such fun of. Yep, I fly packing material.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn