HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:12 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Glad you found a replacement. I still fly mine from time to time even though I have a 4 channel T-28 now. The Citabria is a much more relaxing plane for the small area in front of my house.

A lot easier to do touch and go's on the street when you don't have much area for an approach.

If another dust devil comes along, try diving with down elevator going with the wind direction and then turn back around as you get it coming down. If you lose reception, hold the TX above your head and run really fast!

If range was an issue you could try modifying the TX antenna angle and running the plane's antenna straight up through the canopy. You'll probably double your range.

Rob
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:14 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickyzdc View Post
My Citabia was stollen! I was flying on a slightly breezy day when a dust devil came and suck my plane up. I could not over power it and the plane just kept climbing and moving away. After a large scale search and rescue mission proved fruitless, I declared the aircraft lost. I found a new replacement on Ebay and even better it came with a box. Apparently you can by every part but not a complete plane new.
Yes, lots of places still carry NOS parts, but Parkzone dropped them when they went to their own DSM2 RX's, then Kyosho stopped making them, too.

For flying indoor, This is a great plane to build from parts. Put in a new J-3 motor and it will scoot.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:29 PM
Frderick MD
Joined Oct 2004
94 Posts
Citabria lands on aircraft carrier. During lulls at the flying field we take turns landing on one of the R/C tables. You'd be surprised at the turbulence a 2 knot wind has on the final approach. Moved battery way back and flies even slower now.
stickyzdc is offline Find More Posts by stickyzdc
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:34 PM
Frderick MD
Joined Oct 2004
94 Posts
I'll try antenna fix
stickyzdc is offline Find More Posts by stickyzdc
Last edited by stickyzdc; Dec 16, 2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: dupe
Old Dec 17, 2011, 09:22 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
I also opened up my Citabria and bent the antenna straight up through the top of the plane. I made a small hole just ahead of the main wing's leading edge on the left side. In the corner just above where the pilot would sit. I chose not to go through the wing so it would be easier to open and close the fuselage.

Here's a link to a pic in the Cessna thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2434
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:44 AM
United States, CA, Ukiah
Joined Dec 2011
793 Posts
Brushless 4 channel citabria bash

Here is a pic of my PZ citabria conversion into a super decathalon with ailerons and ( if I can fix the only one I have currently ) an ap03 brushless motor. I used as2000l long throw servos for the ailerons and am using a 6400l brick with an xp3a 1s esc. I still have some work to do on it as far as scale details ( struts are a must as well as the bracing on the tail ) and I need to fix or replace my lone ap03. It has a fair amount of carbon fibre in the build so far but hasnt gained much weight. ( Ill have to toss it on the scale as soon as I deal with the motor issue and have a firewall done for it to mount to ) This was/is one of my first all up build from parts foamies I started on forever ago and was my guinei pig for learning to paint the foamies so its a bit rough but well worth finishing up. I would have had it done 6 months ago but I have been doing more flying of my other planes than building of my projects ( shame on me )Some of these pics are a bit old and its quite a bit farther along than this but I havent taken newer pics. Let me know what you folks think.
Mendo is offline Find More Posts by Mendo
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2011, 07:13 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Very nice!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 06:34 PM
#14 royal wulf
bluegrass state
Joined Dec 2009