I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Build Log
** The Mo-109e Fighter **– 1/10 Park Scale Messerschmitt

The Mo-109e Fighter

(drum roll please)

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present to you, the first in a series of WWII - 1/10 Park Scale aircraft, the first foamie of 2008 from the SkunkyWorks (named after my dogs)…. The Mo-109e

No, that is not a misprint because this Messerschmitt uses a monobloc. This simple method of construction, pioneered on the Blu-Baby, utilizes a solid chunk of foam in the nose to mount such critical parts as the motor mount, landing gear and radio equipment while ensuring, simply and easily, the alignment of all critical airframe parts.

Virtually identical is construction to the Pawnee Brave, the Mo-109e’s construction will be a snap to anyone who has built an aircraft with a monobloc. For a scale aircraft, its part count is low.

The Mo-109e utilizes the revolutionary KFm3 airfoil, virtually assuring excellent flight characteristics. The aircraft is designed, as usual, around the inexpensive BP21 motor, which provides a thrust to weight ratio greater than 1:1. Of course, many power plants will fly this aircraft well and the monobloc allows the mounting system of your choice, be it firewall or stick mount.

Designed for ruggedness, simplicity and good looks, this WWII fighter will take the bangs and knocks associated with park flying, provide very good aerobatic capabilities and turn heads on those low passes.

I’d like to thank Foamenator for providing the superb Beta build on this aircraft. His photos will follow this posting. Thanks again Bob.

As always, this aircraft is given to RC Groups members for their recreational enjoyment and may not be used commercially.

Specs:

Span: 39.5”
Length: 35.75”
Weight (RTF): 17-20 oz
Materials: 6mm Fan Fold Foam, 2” blue or Pink foam, Ľ” spruce stick, 1/8” ply, bamboo BBQ skewers, 2.75” Main Wheels, 1” Tail wheel.
Design Motor: BP21 or equivalent
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Last edited by Tony65x55; Jan 27, 2008 at 07:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:10 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Thanks Tony, another for my list, the pawnee is marked out, awaiting cutting.

Waiting for pictures.

Del
Del-Dredd is online now Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:20 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jan 2007
28 Posts
One of my fav of all time and your designs should be great, thanks now I have to get more foam.
jb&theboys is offline Find More Posts by jb&theboys
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:45 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Tony... Thanks for the Opportunity

Happy New Year Fellow Foamenators....

Last February I joined the forum having built a Slo-Stik our of Elmer’s foam board. Since that time I've built and flown Tony's SE5A, three Blubabies, the Pawnee PA36, the Blu-Sail II so I can vouch for the unique design possibilities of Monobloc construction. In addition I have an in-progress but not finished personal project a scratch drawn/built stand-off scale Curtis Hawk P6-E designed around the monobloc. I have a build thread on this project as well if you are interested. If I were just registering in this forum knowing what I know today... I would have chosen the handle "Monobloc-enator" but I didn't so the handle is available to who ever wishes to use it.

Now to the bird at hand. Thanks Tony for giving me the first shot at the Mo-109. I will post the build in a series of posts over the next few days; ending with what I know will be a video of a spectacularly successful maiden flight. For full disclosure... I know it will fly because I did my usual glide tests in my back yard, and my usual "go and touch" test in the street in front of my house this morning in 15-16 degree temps with a hefty little wind. Kendall... this bird will eat my Pawnees lunch and spit out a Blu-Sail II.

As Tony said in the first post.... anyone who has built one of the other monobloc designs would have no trouble with this one. I built it as close as possible to Tony's design making changes as required to my materials on hand that happens to be Readiboard instead of FFF.

EDIT 02/13/08... PLEASE NOTE THAT ANY CHANGE IN DIMENSIONS (MATERIALS OR DRAWINGS) FROM THOSE SPECIFIED ON THE ORIGINAL DRAWINGS MADE BY TONY WILL CAUSE VARIANCES IN FIT AND ACCURACY DURING THE BUILD. The design is very flexible and accepts changes easily, just be sure you adjust for your specific materials and electronics.

The AUW of my Mo-109 is 18.4 oz.
Battery- 800 mah 3s lipo
Motor- HeadsUp RC version of the BW
GWS- 3 bladed-9-6 prop
FAAST 2.4 receiver and HSS55 servos A/E/R

Three pics one setting the goal and two showing Mo-109 #1 just out of the paint shed. I'm glad answer any questions about the build as we post it.

Enjoy.... I sure did Bob

P.S. Tony has agreed to let me build this guy an opponent. Care to guess what it is? Stay tuned.
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; Feb 13, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:51 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Hurricane, too many Spitfires and Mustangs hog the action.

Looking good, like the spoon air outlet, is the intake on the other side, would look real scalish in that position.

Del
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:52 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd

Del
Dell... Comments noted. Bob
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:54 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Problem with Hurricane is the short nose, so may not be possible, would be nice for something different though.

Del
Old Jan 01, 2008, 11:57 AM
The Dude Abides
Brockport
Joined Sep 2005
315 Posts
P.S. Tony has agreed to let me build this guy an opponent. Care to guess what it is? Stay tuned.[/QUOTE]

I am on board! Will check in often!
Beemus is offline Find More Posts by Beemus
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:07 PM
Out the Window
United States, FL, Alachua
Joined Jul 2004
1,277 Posts
Wow....nice looking airplane Foamenator! I like the looks of the wheels with the parts for the retracts on them and the 3 blade prop. Makes it look more scale. Do you think this will fly as easy as the Pawnee or will it be more suited to an experienced flyer?

Ray
High Flyin' is offline Find More Posts by High Flyin'
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:28 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Flyin'
Wow....nice looking airplane Foamenator! I like the looks of the wheels with the parts for the retracts on them and the 3 blade prop. Makes it look more scale. Do you think this will fly as easy as the Pawnee or will it be more suited to an experienced flyer?

Ray
Ray.... my first impression is that it will be hotter than the Pawnee at WOT since it is smaller. BUT... If you can keep the power under control anyone can fly it. I didn't get to 1/2 throttle before the tail lifted off, I released some elevator and Mo-109 gained about two feet of altitude. I had to let off power to keep it down as I'm in a tightly packed street, parked cars and all. I can't wait to take it to a big park for some real test flights. Bob
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:35 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd

Looking good, like the spoon air outlet, is the intake on the other side, would look real scalish in that position.

Del
Dell .... Yep it is. Bob
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:46 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
785 Posts
A P40 in a "B" model would be nice That's the one the AVG Flying Tigers started out with.

Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:55 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
P40 is very nice.

Bob, I have to congratulate you on a superb build. Your 109 looks great.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:57 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
The Heart of the Beast.... Monobloc

Monobloc construction is the key to easy construction and a great flying model. The monobloc in the beta Mo-109 is 7/8" protection board from Lowes (sucks) and a 6mm center laminate out of EPP. The plan calls for a two inch thick foam piece. Since 1" protection board is only 7/8" thick I ended up having to laminate in the piece of EPP for a slightly thicker monobloc causing me to have to adjust the fuse tops and bottom pieces accordingly. Make the Monobloc the first piece you make and you will have no problems later on. Once again...If you cut your monobloc accurately the rest of the plane will go together easily.
Old Jan 01, 2008, 12:58 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixter
A P40 in a "B" model would be nice That's the one the AVG Flying Tigers started out with.

Bobby
Bobby... I'm keeping notes. The P-40 is one of my favorites too. Bob