HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Oct 2007
177 Posts
Discussion
Did I just kill my Lipo?

The other night I was rebuilding my heli and had a full lipo plugged in to power the servos for testing. This process went on for a few hours trying to get the links just right. Anyway by the end of it all I tested the volts on the Kong 3c 2200 lipo and it read 7.8V which is above the manufacturers minimum but still very low. I charged the lipo back to around 8.5v with an old charger (12v @ 1a) then finished it off with a lipo charge. Now the battery only lasts about 30 seconds in the air and charging time is like 10 min. Something is very wrong here. Did I kill the lipo or is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks
bug splat is offline Find More Posts by bug splat
Last edited by bug splat; Dec 31, 2007 at 04:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2007, 03:17 PM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Kong Power should survive.

Is the charger actually doing the full charge routine? What charger?
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:03 PM
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Oct 2007
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Kong Power should survive.

Is the charger actually doing the full charge routine? What charger?
Its telling me that the charge is complete and when I volt test it I get a 11.9v. The Lipo charger that I'm using is an E-Flite Celectra and the balance charger that I'm using is a no-name local brand that has 2cell and 3 cell ports. Charge rate before with this no-name was like 4 hours. Now it says its done in minutes. I pulled out my little Honeybee 2/3 cell charger that pumps out a mega 0.8 amps and it seems to be charging so far. That charger in the past took about 6-7 hours to charger. i'm going to let it go on the little balance charger and see if it bring some life back. Oh, and I have a Cellpro charger on order. What steps should I take to bring the battery back?
Old Dec 31, 2007, 07:15 PM
AMA 6418
New Stanton, Pa.
Joined Jan 2004
2,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug splat
The other night I was rebuilding my heli and had a full lipo plugged in to power the servos for testing. This process went on for a few hours trying to get the links just right. Anyway by the end of it all I tested the volts on the Kong 3c 2200 lipo and it read 7.8V which is above the manufacturers minimum but still very low. I charged the lipo back to around 8.5v with an old charger (12v @ 1a) then finished it off with a lipo charge. Now the battery only lasts about 30 seconds in the air and charging time is like 10 min. Something is very wrong here. Did I kill the lipo or is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks
If its a 3S lipo and you drained down to 7.8 vt I think it is junk now.

...Keith...
Keith Wilson is offline Find More Posts by Keith Wilson
Old Dec 31, 2007, 08:22 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bug splat
Its telling me that the charge is complete and when I volt test it I get a 11.9v.
To state the obvious, the battery is not being charged. Should be at least 12.5 volts.
Quote:
What steps should I take to bring the battery back?
You have done all you can - got it back to where a LiPo charger will accept it.

Discharge to 2.6 volts per cell has no doubt damaged it. Reduced life, no doubt, but not junk.

Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Dec 31, 2007, 09:14 PM
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Oct 2007
177 Posts
Thanks guys. I just unplugged the lipo from the little charger and the volts read 12.58. Did some living room hovering for a good 5 min before it felt a little sluggish and the head speed dropped. I tested the volts again and got 10.4. Looks like I may have to go through a few rounds of slow balancing and draining to get back what little life I can. The lipo also puffed a little since I over drained it a few days ago.
Old Jan 02, 2008, 12:04 AM
Santa Cruz, California
Joined Oct 2007
177 Posts
Kong did survive!!! Took it out to the park today after the third slow balance charge and got 7 minutes in the air without any power drop I could notice even doing yo-yo's. Landed and tested the volt and I got a 10.7. I thought I was out $70 for a little bit there. Thanks for the help everyone.