SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 21, 2001, 05:00 AM
Swindon, UK
Joined Nov 2000
38 Posts
Mirage 2000-05 downthrust or up?

My Mirage climbs very steeply on full power. I am wondering if its due to the motor down-thrust of 2 degrees stated in the instructions. Has anyone else found this?

A front engined plane normally has down thrust to keep the nose down and compensate for the extra lift generated by the extra speed at full power. So shouldn't a pusher plane should have up-thrust to push the tail up to keep it level? Down-thrust would push the tail down causing it to climb wouldn't it?
skids is offline Find More Posts by skids
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2001, 05:32 AM
RC Addict
Central Coast, Australia
Joined Jan 2001
1,026 Posts
hi skids.
why not try moving the cg forward. Mine had the same prob so I just moved the pack forward, flies like its on rails now. I was weary at first about trying this but as a friend said " no guts , no glory!"

See how you go.

Jeremy..
Jeremy_D is offline Find More Posts by Jeremy_D
Old May 21, 2001, 02:37 PM
Anacortes, Wa. USA
Joined Aug 2000
290 Posts
Skids,

It will do what you're experiencing if you have to much thrust built-in. The thrust set-up per the instructions is just right. I would double check that you haven't gotten too much thrust put in and check your c/g again. It does sound like it's tail heavy.

Todd
ToddNicholson is offline Find More Posts by ToddNicholson
Old May 24, 2001, 08:54 AM
Swindon, UK
Joined Nov 2000
38 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't really thought that the CG could cause it to climb too much and thought that the CG may be too far forward because it doesn't loop very well and rolls quite slowly but perhaps I just need to increase the control throws.
I've re-checked the thrust angle and it does look more than 2 degrees (but its so hard to judge) so I'm going to try using a spacer to angle the motor a bit and try that, then adjust the CG. On about half throttle it flies very smoothly, but throttling up makes it climb steeply.

[This message has been edited by skids (edited 05-24-2001).]
skids is offline Find More Posts by skids