SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
Discussion
Advice on my first boat build

I'm looking at the Dumas Trojan cruiser for my first build. I've built a few r/c airplanes in the past, but not a boat. Looking for the 'cruiser' style, kinda have settled on the Trojan...any advice, or other boats you might recomend for my first build?

DW
dwcopperfeild is offline Find More Posts by dwcopperfeild
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2008, 02:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
anyone?
Old Jan 01, 2008, 03:54 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,327 Posts
DW: Do a search using the search function on here. I recall there is quite a long thread on the build-up of the Trojan. Read that thread. That may help you decide if it is suitable as a first build.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 01, 2008, 04:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
checked out out...seems that the instructions aren't that great? I don't doubt my building ability...just used to reading airplane plans. Would like to run a gas (nitro) engine in the boat (whichever i build)
Old Jan 01, 2008, 04:23 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
Dwcopperfield- I would have to say that the best recommendation I could give for a first time builder on a wooden kit would be any MIDWEST Products kit. The reason for this is very good wood, die cutting is among the best in the industry, and instructions which in my opinion are second to none. You can take any of the MIDWEST boat kits and unless you are deft, dumb, and blind, finish the build with very pleasing results. Unfortunately Midwest does not seem to think that new model kits is one of their top priorities, but the kits they still manufacture are of good quality. I think you would be well advised on a Midwest model for a first build.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 01, 2008, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2007
6 Posts
thanks Frank...kinda like the lines of the Trojan...and the Midwest kits from Tower do seem a little steep in price...or does the quality make the price worth it? Was kinda looking for something that could be nitro powered...but the Boothbay Lobsterboat has nice lines to it

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAP84&P=0
Old Jan 01, 2008, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,731 Posts
Dwcopperfield- I think m ost all group forum members who know both boats (Dumas Trojan & Midwest Boothbay Lobster boat) will agree that there is no comparison between the two kits as far a quality and instructions, Midwest wins hands down. Although I have not heard of any one putting nitro power in a lobster boat, I can not see any reason a .12 or .15 nitro motor would not work. The boat would be fast as hell!!!
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Jan 02, 2008, 09:52 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,074 Posts
dW,I have all 3 of the midwest ''lobster'' boats,the 21'',the 30'',and the lobster yacht. All 3 are very nice kits and go together well. If you build aircraft you won't have a problem with one. I do not recommend gas for them,it can be very messy in a boat,many ponds won't let you use gas (nitro) and are noisy. A 550 size electric motor is good in the 2 30'' boats,gives you good scale speed. A 380 size works for the 21'' Also electric power gives better trottle control and reverse. It is quiet,clean, does not pollute the water. I know there are contrary opinions out there but these are my thoughts on the subject. I run all electric and my club runs the same. You might also compare the price of a gallon of nitro to a 7.2 volt 3300 ma battery pack and how many tank fulls per gallon with how many recharges you get.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Last edited by charlie eaton; Jan 02, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2008, 10:40 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
'DWC',
'Dumas' isn't exactly the easiest kit to put together at times. They also don't always supply the 'best' wood at times. But, they also are not the most difficult thingys to get together if you take your time and do some thinking along the way. If you can build the average plane kit, you should be able to build a 'Dumas', probably (that 'probably' is a CYA thingy cuz I have no idea of your building skills [or mine either, sometimes]).
Before deciding on a means of powering the boat, I think I'd do a bit of checking into your local ordinances/rules. There are quite a few places that do not allow small IC engines (my town being one of them). 'They' haven't figured out a way to stop electric motor use... yet, or steam .
One of the biggest hurdles that you've already jumped over is deciding on a boat that you really like. Or to be a little more 'honest', deciding on ~which~ boat that you like that you are willing to try.
- 'Doc

Aww, DO IT! If it doesn't come out 'perfect', blame me, I get blamed for all kind'sa stuff anyway.
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc