HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:14 PM
Central FL
Joined Dec 2002
2 Posts
which way should prop turn

I'm newbie, flying a Wingo with a geared prop. Is it better to have the prop turn right or left? Does it really matter? I hear discussion about counter rotating props. Mine turns to the right and I have had to deal with a loosening prop nut more than once.
Rugerman is offline Find More Posts by Rugerman
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2002, 10:48 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,677 Posts
The direction that you have the prop turn is entirely up to you. Once you decide which direction you want the plane to go that is

Seriously though, props are designed to only turn one direction. You reverse the motor if necessary to make your prop spin the way it needs to go. If you really need the prop to spin the other direction, you'll need to find a special "left-hand" propeller. These are pretty rare for electric planes, since it's so easy to reverse your motor.

-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Dec 20, 2002, 06:21 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Think of the prop as a screw that has to screw through the air, then you will see it can only go in one direction.
Or as a fan, you want the air to blow behind the plane.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:12 AM
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Oct 2001
2,801 Posts
You know the propeller is turning the wrong way when the airplane wants to go backwards.

In all cases, you want the propeller to blow air toward the rear of the plane. Usually, you can flip the propeller by hand fast enough to tell which way the wind will blow when it's turning. You can also use a couple of "D" alkaline batteries to spin the motor and test it before you go soldering the speed control on.
mkirsch1 is offline Find More Posts by mkirsch1
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:54 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Besides the prop turning the correct way (that means pulling or pushing air in the correct direction), the prop does has a front and back side.

It is not easy to see on some, but for most the numbers must face the flight direction. On some props it is easy because they are undercambered or have an obvious leading and trainling edge.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Dec 20, 2002, 06:37 PM
Hervey Bay, Sunny Qld, Australia
Joined Jun 2001
1,773 Posts
anti clockwise / counter clockwise

Anti clockwise / counter clockwise with the prop reversed and "really" tighten that prop nut with a ratchet / spanner but not too much that you de thread the nut.

Later
Glen
Masterpiece is offline Find More Posts by Masterpiece
Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:15 PM
Central FL
Joined Dec 2002
2 Posts
thanks

Thank for all the replies, they were very helpful. Fred, thanks for clearing about the markings, since I was adviced that the numbers should face back but the prop would be cutting with the trailing edge. .

p.s. Now I'm grounded since since I just found out that my finger is softer than a turning prop. (right with the leading edge!)

Rugerman
Rugerman is offline Find More Posts by Rugerman
Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:23 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk